Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tachikoma

Most Useful Android Apps

I got a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, which I was told would be able to upgrade to ICS, does it fuck!, latest rumour is that it'll jump straight to JB.

But enough about that, this is my first smartphone and its ace! so it only run GB 2.3 but it does everything I need right now.

The Camera is fecking great for what it is and its a dual core 800Mhz whichsoundsgood!, just need to get a SDcard.

Any apps recommended without having to read all these posts? #lazycunt

I wanted to try Smartglass but that only works on ICS and above :(

Guest marthagogo

i downloaded

nova launcher which changes the layouts, folders etc (really like it as you can do custom icons, folders, layouts to your main screens etc.

viber

dolphin hd for web (with dolphin jetpack),

airdroid,

podkicker (pro) for podcasts,

mort audiobook player for audiobooks,

colornote for handy post it note style lists & reminders widget,

es file explorer (takes a while to get used to all the things it does but i really like it),

how to tie a tie,

knotster,

star chart,

guardian + bbc + indo news apps are pretty handy,

achievement more pro for the whore in you,

pixlr express,

ringdroid for making custom ringtones,

camera zoomfx,

realcalc,

kobo for ebooks,

meteor shower calender,

convert me,

fontomiser sp (lets you download custom fonts for free),

swiftkey!

when on offer;

office suite pro (although the one from the samsung store is pretty good for all your officey needs - i also got ezpdf reader pro too.

dont forget to disable all the shit that comes with the phone that you will never use (sames memory & battery life) - for me it was the google + stuff and anything to do with voice.

seems you can't delete the "pre installed" shite either.

which invalidates your warranty at a guess, only had it a week.

I have been able to shift some to the SD card.

I rooted my S3 this week, it's only a few months old. The benefits outweigh the risks, as long as it can physically boot to the recovery menu, then you can flash it back to stock and nobody will be the wiser (as long as you choose to wipe the phone so you get rid of all the Root apps installed previously)

Guest marthagogo

tell me, what are the advantages to rooting? what will it do that i cant do now or that i cant think to do now?

Firewall, so all those free apps you download can't connect to the internet to send all your details off into the ether

AdFree, so those free apps you do want to connect to the internet don't display any ads

Titanium Backup so you can backup all your apps, save data, SMS, internet settings, etc etc

Freeze/uninstall apps you don't want

Install system apps (say a camera app from a different phone/Android version)

Install a completely different build of Android so you don't have to wait for an update from your phone providor or if you are feeling brave and want to try a custom ROM

Network penetration testing, good if you work in IT, or can be abused so you can steal peoples FaceWank logins

BlueTooth tethering of console controllers where you might not normally be able to do it

Etc

There's a metric fuckton of Root apps out there that offer features you can't get without it.

I usually root everything straight away, normally to overclock a bit/clear out preinstalled shit and install titanium back up.

Though I haven't yet with my Nexus 7, though it's only a matter of time!

Guest FolkoRoco

So I'm getting Tina a Nexus 7 rather than an ipad. Am I a genius or an arse?

My logic:

They do all seem much more expensive than I realised - had thought it wouldn't be much more than £300 but its closer to £400 for one with a decent size hard disk. When Tina will be using it primarily for emails, web browsing, youtube / iplayer and FaceTime that seems quite Elaborate. In that case wouldn't a more modestly price entry level tablet be better? I know Skype isn't as good as FaceTime but for a difference of upto £200 is it that much better? Are you paying for the apple logo or am I under appreciating them? I know there's nothing close to App Store on android but how many apps would Tina realistically use?

For her use case I would say the nexus will be fine. The only thing missing as you have noted is FaceTime, but surely not every single person she wants to have cyber sex with uses an iPhone?

Guest FolkoRoco

She will have to get them to use Skype. People still pay for sex webcam on skype right?

They do all seem much more expensive than I realised - had thought it wouldn't be much more than £300 but its closer to £400 for one with a decent size hard disk. When Tina will be using it primarily for emails, web browsing, youtube / iplayer and FaceTime that seems quite Elaborate. In that case wouldn't a more modestly price entry level tablet be better? I know Skype isn't as good as FaceTime but for a difference of upto £200 is it that much better? Are you paying for the apple logo or am I under appreciating them? I know there's nothing close to App Store on android but how many apps would Tina realistically use?

Reasonably certain there's more free apps on the android market place than on the apple one. The majority of them cross over too.

Guest marthagogo

what happened to the app store yesterday? for a few hours i had a taste of the updated version that looked awesome, now its back to its tarded self.

Guest marthagogo

it was really nice with listed and colour coded sections for apps, books, films, music, film rentals, tv shows. even the app store was laid out differently. it must have been some odd glitch as it was active with little content in the new sections but the but the advertised prices were good.

whens it coming back?

Guest marthagogo

thats totally what it looked like, opened it up and i had to accept a new agreement then was presented with sotre as above. then about 3 hours later it asked me to accpet an other and went back to the old just apps.

feck that, thats rubbish. why does ireland get skipped again, can they not include any licencing with the UK?