Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Rich

Most useful iPhone apps

So it will arrive today and I've already been on iTunes and in a downloading frenzy. I'm not too keen on spending a lot of money on apps at the moment so let me know which cheap or free ones I should look out for, ones that genuinely might be interesting.

I'll tell you the ones I've got so far that I read about and thought they were useful (all free unless stated):

Barcode Reader (take a photo of a barcode in a shop and tells you where you can buy online for cheaper)

Bump

Dropbox (transfer files between iPhones)

Electrical Toolkit (works out equations and shit for Amps etc)

Flashlight (turns your screen to bright light)

Gorillacam (brilliant picture app, my missus has it, gives you way more functions than the normal camera)

Last.fm

Numberkey (means I can use the phone as a number keypad along with my laptop when adding stuff up)

Ocado (to do my Waitrose shopping every week)

Remote

Rhythm Racer (free, apparently cross between wipeout and guitar hero... it was free, fuck it)

Runkeeper Free (tells you how far you've run, how long you've been running for, calories etc)

Shazam

The Train Line

Tonepad

Oyster (0.49p - Tells me what journeys I have made on the underground and how much money is remaining on my pay as you go account)

was setting up the mrs 3g yesterday and used your list:

Barcode Reader (take a photo of a barcode in a shop and tells you where you can buy online for cheaper)

Bump

Dropbox (transfer files between iPhones)

Electrical Toolkit (works out equations and shit for Amps etc)

Flashlight (turns your screen to bright light)

Gorillacam (brilliant picture app, my missus has it, gives you way more functions than the normal camera)

Last.fm

Numberkey (means I can use the phone as a number keypad along with my laptop when adding stuff up)

Ocado (to do my Waitrose shopping every week)

Remote

Rhythm Racer (free, apparently cross between wipeout and guitar hero... it was free, fuck it)

Runkeeper Free (tells you how far you've run, how long you've been running for, calories etc)

Shazam

The Train Line

Tonepad

Oyster (0.49p - Tells me what journeys I have made on the underground and how much money is remaining on my pay as you go account)

found most that are applicable to us in ireland a bit shite (as are an awful lot of the free apps). tbh the camera & marcode ones are purely because the camera in the regular 3g is utter shite.

glad i went for the blackberry now, i like buttons.

was setting up the mrs 3g yesterday and used your list:

found most that are applicable to us in ireland a bit shite (as are an awful lot of the free apps). tbh the camera & marcode ones are purely because the camera in the regular 3g is utter shite.

glad i went for the blackberry now, i like buttons.

To be honest I should update this list now as I've had it for a while, getting used to it all and finding out which ones of these are actually useful.

Barcode Reader is arse.

Camerabag and Polarizer are two great photo apps. Polarizer is free, camerabag costs about 50p but does some nice little effects.

Amazon application is handy for spending money you don't have on the move.

Ustream is a fun one. Get the broadcaster version, and then you basically start streaming to the internet what is on your camera (works on 3G). It gives you a URL just for you, so anyone with the internet can see what you're looking at, live.

Around Me - As it says. Type in "Pub" and it shows you how far each pub is away from you and it links in with Google Maps.

Tweetdeck - For those of you that like to Twitter. You can link it to your facebook account so when you tweet, it updates your status on Facebook too.

National Rail - If you get a train every day (like me) then this is pricey but worth it. (£4.99). You can look as you're walking out the door to see if your trains are on time, so you know whether to go to another station. Finding your nearest station works really well, as expected.

Wikipedia app - bit lazy instead of just going to the website, but whatever.

Civilization Revolution - Need I say more?

Flight Control - cheap game at £0.59... very addictive (however Bummers doesn't agree with me)

I forgot to go on about the awesomeness of Dropbox.

Well, this is particularly cool for me. What you do is when you've installed on your phone, you sign up for your free 2gb account and you get a link to install the software on your computer. What you can then do is drop files into the dropbox on your computer and it automatically uploads them. Then you go to the app on your phone and then you can view the files there, and email on links to the files. Really good if you have some important files you always want the ability to access.

You can pay for it to get more storage, but 2gb is a lot.

I hate to say this, but those "find me a pub/train/cinema" things you can do with Bing... yes I complimented a MS product... the world can now end...

I use Dropbox to store my uni work, so that I can access them on my PC, Laptops and Touch. Its a great piece of software.

Also, the ipod version of Plants Vs Zombies is superb, well worth the meager asking price.

Edited by Papa

Downloaded the Guardian app today (yes, very liberal of me I know). It cost me £2.69, but I have to say it's quite good. I can download podcasts straight from it, and access so much news it's crazy.

Just wanted to mention a few games:

Beneath a Steel Sky

Flight of the Amazon Queen

The Secret of Monkey Island

Earthworm Jim

SCUMM engine (Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacles, Sam and Max, Monkey Island games, Indiana Jones...)

Doom

Driver

Metal Gear Solid Touch

Tiger Woods Golf

GTA Chinatown Wars

nice list bigman.

soem nice free ones:

labyrinth lite (tilty maze & ball thing).

paper toss (quite addictive)

Planets (this is really awesome, using your position it shows you what constellations you can see from where you are in a 3d way & when the planets are visible & the moon phases, sunrise, sunset etc. really really good.

Convert Units - handy unit converter thing (has ads though).

plants vs zombies is indeed really really good. the main thing about the iphone is so many of its features are just so well implemented, makes my blackberry look like a spackberry (still prefer it as a phone though).

oh and:

Planets (this is really awesome, using your position it shows you what constellations you can see from where you are in a 3d way & when the planets are visible & the moon phases, sunrise, sunset etc. really really good.

its free and really works. get it now! you will thank me!

From HotUkDeals

The following games are 59p for the next 48 hours only.

Tiger Woods PGA

Fifa World Cup

Trivial Pursuit

SimCity

Need for Speed

Fifa 10

CLUEDO

Connect 4

Battleship

Madden NFL

Surviving High School

Command & Conquer Red Alert

The Game of Life

Yahtzee

NBA Live

Jewel Quest

Dragon's Lair

Some fantastic deals in there, I think I'll go for FIFA, Need for Speed Shift and Red Alert!

Rich can you read whole issues of the guardian on the app? And do you have access to the media guardian on there?