2021 Game Completion Thread

Mass Effect Legendary Edition (PS4/5)

Plays how I remember it. Still a good game but very clunky animation and the combat is still poor. Didn’t really feel like a remaster but perhaps you would notice in a direct comparison. I played the beginning of ME 2 straight after and that was a big improvement over this.

Easy Platinum trophy if that’s important to you (there is a plat for each game in the trilogy)

7/10

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DOOM Eternal.  Didn’t like this game for quite a while, just couldn’t get over how much more forced the fun is than 2016.  Then things start to open  up, weapons start to upgrade, the ridiculously complicated game mechanics start to make sense and it turns into an absolute blast. Really thoroughly enjoyable when you running around like a complete tank towards the end. I could still only play in short bursts because if feels like hard work at times, I also feel like they introduced all the enemies too early so they ran out of tricks about 2/3 of the way through and I pretty sure that 2016 is a better game but this was awesome all the same. 

2016 better but probably won’t be able to go back and play it as I’m guessing you’ll find it a bit slow. 

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order 

Modern Warfare - BoneX.

8 hours ago, Somerset_Bumkin said:

DOOM Eternal.  Didn’t like this game for quite a while, just couldn’t get over how much more forced the fun is than 2016.  Then things start to open  up, weapons start to upgrade, the ridiculously complicated game mechanics start to make sense and it turns into an absolute blast. Really thoroughly enjoyable when you running around like a complete tank towards the end. I could still only play in short bursts because if feels like hard work at times, I also feel like they introduced all the enemies too early so they ran out of tricks about 2/3 of the way through and I pretty sure that 2016 is a better game but this was awesome all the same. 

2016 better but probably won’t be able to go back and play it as I’m guessing you’ll find it a bit slow. 

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order 

Modern Warfare - BoneX.

It still holds up. I've been doing a few levels here and there since it came back to Game Pass.

Nekopara Vol.2 - Switch 

I have no words, yarr'd it out of curiosity and ended up finishing it, not that there's any gameplay at all, its just a visual novel where you seduce cat girls.

Nekopara is quite notorious as a hentai game so when I saw it on the switch I was curious what they took out. They obviously took the sex scenes out, but the rest of it is still lewd as buggery, you would not want to be playing this on the bus.

• 2 weeks later...

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

I didn't really like it early on, I expected a fast and responsive combat system based on videos I had seen. It's actually surprisingly heavy input wise and it took me a while to get to grips with.

Still, when it clicked it was great and I blew through the game from about 1/3 to 90% of the way through. Some stuff is a little undercooked, particularly a lot of the shinobi tools and the lightning mechanics, but otherwise a good action game. Won't have the playability of Souls though.

I did the true ending path, and did all the optional bosses, so I took down Owl Father and Demon of Hatred as well as Sword Saint. I found the final boss surprisingly easy, got him on the second try. Owl Father and Demon of Hatred were both far harder and took at least an hour of trying each.

Resident Evil 7-PS4- It took me ages to take to this game as I first played it in 2017. I was forcing myself to play it in VR so I couldn't have long sessions in it.(Not because it's overly scary, although it does have its moments, but because of nausea :( ) Anyway I decided to play it through on a TV and took to it straight away, and apart from a bit of a spike in difficulty at the chainsaw dude I breezed through the rest on Normal difficulty. I loved it so much I'm hitting up Resident Evil 2 remake next.

Resident Evil 2-Leon Campaign A-PS4- 2 days 2 Resi games done. This is a wonderful remake. BUT. The early parts of the game are spoilt by the new addition Mr X. Initially I was cool with him. Something new to mix it up. Pacing fucks it up though. You just want to figure out wht you're doing and then this big cunt comes out of nowhere.

He  gets in the way of the pure Metroidvania gameplay, especially when you go back to the game after so long like I did. It made it hard to figure out what I was doing while I was being chased by The Terminator in a fedora. Then Yussry came to my aid. Buy the unlimited guns cheat. It was £1.69. I used it, it got me past the point of contention. After that I used normal weapons to work my way through. It was hard. But I enjoyed it. I've gone straight into Claires Campaign. Great game, don't leave it years between playing or it'll cost you money...

Resident Evil 2-PS4-Claire 2nd campaign-Different in a lot of ways to Leons campaign, but also it has a lot of similarities too. I thought if you played the 2nd campaign you were getting a pretty different experience.It's a great looking game, the use of sound is amazing and as a remake it's testament to what can be achieved. I just hope that EA put as much work into the new Dead Space.

Now I've seen the "True ending". If I ever replay it I'll do Claire A and Leon B to mix it up.

Halo 2 Anniversary (Xbox One/Series X)

Started ages ago and decided to finish the MCC before Infinite. I didn’t love it when it launched, and still don’t now. It feels slow, a lot of the weapons feel weak, and the story is a little all over the place.

The remaster is good, although the high quality new cut scenes are a bit jarring. Not sure why it stutters and had frame rate dips on Series X, although mostly runs at 60fps.

I don’t think I’ll ever play this again. It doesn’t have the feel of exploration of the first game, and the action movie vibe is significantly better from 3 onwards.

6/10

It’s also beyond difficult if you try and solo on legendary. The others are all a joy on legendary. I enjoyed the MCC remaster though, massive game that gets better as you go on - but the weakest in the series for the reasons you give. 

I think I did legendary when it first released, when I was a poor student and had time, but these days I just want to experience the story. Started on heroic but got to an annoying bit and dropped it to easy for a level, and then found easy was too easy and finished it on normal.

I enjoyed 2 a lot more on my anniversary playthrough of it, but it's by far the worst of the lot. It's thoroughly mediocre corridor shooting most of the way through that just doesn't play to halo's strengths at all. But the story is actually well done, Bungie really built a great universe/lore.

Halo 3 (Series X)

After struggling to enjoy 2 this was like a breath of fresh air. It looks and plays better than I thought it would for something that didn’t get a remaster from 2007.

The story actually made sense, there were some nice set pieces and the return of the more open elements that 2 was lacking. The weapons felt better, possibly because they toned down the sponginess of the enemies.

Very fun and one I would revisit again sometime. Sadly I have 4 next which I don’t remember enjoying (saving ODST and Reach for another time.)

8/10

4 was ok when I went back to it on the remaster. Weapons feel a lot punchier and there’s some decent mechanics, they only thing that hasn’t got better is forerunners are just not fun to fight. 

On 8/19/2021 at 1:15 AM, El_Patriot said:

Halo 3 (Series X)

After struggling to enjoy 2 this was like a breath of fresh air. It looks and plays better than I thought it would for something that didn’t get a remaster from 2007.

The story actually made sense, there were some nice set pieces and the return of the more open elements that 2 was lacking. The weapons felt better, possibly because they toned down the sponginess of the enemies.

Very fun and one I would revisit again sometime. Sadly I have 4 next which I don’t remember enjoying (saving ODST and Reach for another time.)

8/10

You're not holding back on finishing these! Give me a shout for Reach(around) I'll join you.

Halo 4 (Series X)

The jump in graphics is huge compared with 3, it’s astonishing that both games were on 360.

This was decent. It played very much like a CoD campaign, ie linear follow the waypoint gameplay. More open than 2, but still doesn’t feel like a Halo game to me.

The new weapons look cool and are at least useful but I still stuck to the battle rifle whenever it was available. The new enemies suck, and I remember them being a nightmare on legendary back in the day, but fine on this run on normal. Similar to Gears 4, the robot-style enemies just aren’t as fun.

I found the story a bit rubbish too, but I think a lot of it is in expanded universe stuff I’ll never see.

6.5/10

Speed ran Frostpunk again on easy going for max automata and its broken, literally just fast forwarded the final storm without any issues other than I forgot to cook more in advance but only lost about 20 out of 200 people.

VIIIage-resident evil-PS5- Such a fucking fantastic game. Loved every minute of it. Every boss was great, 2 particular standouts but I won't say which. The story was more bat shit than any other Resi I've finished(which is all of them except Revelations and Code Veronica) It ties in to the greater Resiverse well too. I hope the dlc is better for this than 7s as I wasn't overly impressed with that.

Resident Evil 3 Remake-PS4/5-Another day another Resi game finished. Absolutely loved this. I preferred the big bad being scripted so at least the first time through it's all surprising as you never know when he's going to jump out on you, but you then get a chance to get on with exploring. Very few puzzles except a couple of environmental ones.  It looks amazing as expected. Very short which I knew going in but my overall playtime was just under 6.5 hours. At least it's cheap everywhere now.

The Artful Escape-XsX- Another Gamepass win for me. I saw the trailer a while back. A mental looking game with Carl Weathers in it, and Cersei(Shame) from GOT. It's part platformer(but not really just traversal) with light Rhythm action tendencies. It's more about the bonkers story and the great trippy visuals and soundtrack. It's also occasionally amusing, especially 1 character who only has about 3 lines. I REALLY LIKED HIM! Anyway give it a go.

Hellblade-XsX- A double or triple whammy if you consider I was the last to post with Resi 3. Anyway, I first played this on my OG Bone and thought it was alright, then I played a bit more on my One X and it looked better but I was really confused about the mechanics as it had been so long since I played it. Then it got a Series X patch. It looks amazing and I finished the rest in 2 sittings. Well worth a play and the story is pretty decent. Just play it with headphones.