2021 Game Completion Thread

4 hours ago, Shufty said:

I saw RotK in the cinema, I'd read the book so knew it would have that stop/start style ending. But after it had done it a few times this guy just yelled out, "DOES IT EVER FUCKING END?"

:A037:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marvels Avengers-Series X- This is pretty good. It looks fucking fantastic in both modes(4K/Frame rate) but I preferred the 60fps. The story is pretty good and the action is solid. I haven't finished the 2 add ons yet but they look to be more of the same., so I'm not complaining I probably won't stick around for the grind but I've enjoyed the loot loop to a degree. In some ways the campaign is an ultra long tutorial as you get a good chance to play all the characters. If you like The Avengers or all this super hero lark then it's worth a pop, I picked it up for £20 and I feel it was well worth that.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order 

Modern Warfare - BoneX.  First COD I’ve done since I spent a year with MW2 online with tou guys! Really hasn’t moved on much has it? You can tell it’s huge budget, very slick and amazing environments but so so samey and I honestly found it a bit boring. Some much of the game was spent in doors with pop up baddies that it was have been better with a light gun. It’s funny but it felt like a bonus add-on pack to a game called Warzone rather than the other way around - especially when you put the disc in you have to download about 200gb for content I didn’t want and after finally (months it took me as I moved into other games as every time I went back I had another 100gb update to wait for) getting into the game it wants you to do Warzone. 

Debating now wether or not to try Warzone or free up half of my HDD. 

World of Final Fantasy - POC

Finished it years ago on the Vita and fancied playing it again so grabbed it for £15 on Steam.

Love and hate the game, so pretty, so many cool mechanics but then at the end you can just face roll the hardest bosses with the same attacks. If you don't just follow the story and ignore the tons of side things to do, then you will be comically overpowered at the end.

On 4/5/2021 at 7:40 AM, Tachikoma said:

World of Final Fantasy - POC

Finished it years ago on the Vita and fancied playing it again so grabbed it for £15 on Steam.

Love and hate the game, so pretty, so many cool mechanics but then at the end you can just face roll the hardest bosses with the same attacks. If you don't just follow the story and ignore the tons of side things to do, then you will be comically overpowered at the end.

I've bought this game like 3 times, and started it 3 times, and never got farther than the intro. 

Deliver us the Moon-Xbox- This is a great game. Lots of puzzles and story and fuck all combat. I had a couple of minor issues with it but not enough to stop me playing through the whole thing over a week. Thanks again to Game Pass.

Homefront Revolution (PS4)

I only picked this up to play the hidden Timesplitters 2 remake and in order to do that I almost got to the end so decided to finish it.

It’s like a budget version of Far Cry but the world is boring and grey, and the gunplay is pretty poor. I did however enjoy the rather limited story and traversal around the map. It’s okay to play if you want to get to TS2, but I can’t recommend going out of your way to play it.

5/10

Call of Duty:Black Ops Cold War-PS5-A decent COD campaign that has taken me an age to get round to finishing.I usually finish them off before jumping into multiplayer. I enjoyed it a fair bit and there's a decent amount of variety. Looks really nice too, loved all the neon and the explosions are amazing.

It Takes Two-Series X-  Best Co-op game ever? It might be. Funny, poignant, harrowing, bizarre are some words I could use to describe this game. The story is ok, sometimes the characters are really annoying at times, but it's the gameplay that keeps changing up all the time that is the star. It can be bought for under £20 right now digitally, and it will eventually join Game Pass, you literally have no excuse to not try this game out.*

*Unless you have no friends or are Jimmy.

Resident Evil 3 Remake - POC

Really enjoyed this, definitely one to pick up in a sale considering the length, but not looked at the multiplayer addon yet so might add some longevity.

I know it got a kicking for the length but I think it worked, would rather a smaller cohesive story than rehashing the levels from Resi 2 too much.

Wish there was more variety in the enemies though, they surely could have knocked out a few more than they did, and some of the new enemies were literally only in two rooms.

The final boss battle though was a joke, once you get the gimmick, it's a 2 minute fight.

Batman Arkham VR-PS4- This is a pretty decent experience, but very light on game and it was far too short. I got it for £7.99 in a sale and still feel short changed at that price. There is more to do involving the riddler after you finish but like the mainline Arkham games I found a few and got bored.

Mafia:Definitive Edition-Series X- The story was great, and I enjoyed the game well enough but it's very clunky to control at times. Combat was the main problem area, I felt a lot of the time there was literally only one way to get through the arena and if you deviated you died. A Lot. Checkpointing, or lack thereof spoilt what could have been a great experience. 

Ass. Creed Valhalla (PS5)

Solid if unspectacular, but I still put in over 80 hours, mostly just doing the story. Could probably double that to do everything.

These games are just too big and bloated. The sheer number of icons to clear from the map is crazy, and while the world is very well built I just ended up running past most of it to get to the next map icon ASAP. The core loop is fun for the first 20 hours, then it becomes pretty monotonous after.

I‘m not a huge AC fan but I’m sure if you are you’ll enjoy it; very much more of the same in a new location. I wish they would go back to the old AC2/Brotherhood etc design with smaller but more dense environments.

As an aside, It’s nice to play in 60fps but it has been quite buggy and with lots of screen tear in certain areas.

I only picked this up because it was “free” via Nectar points and wanted something new for the PS5 launch. Definitely got my money’s worth from it, but probably won’t touch another AC for years, if ever again, though because of the bloat.

7/10

• 2 weeks later...

New Pokemon Snap (2021) - Switch

This was a lot of fun. Hadn't played the original, but spent a good few evenings throwing apples at small animals with my wife. A bunch of rare and hidden ones still to go after finishing the main story.

Max:The Curse of Brotherhood-Series X- A great little puzzle platformer that doesn't outstay it's welcome. On Gamepass so no excuses etc.

Sea of Solitude-Series X- This is really good. It has a lovely art style, and the story is interesting and heartfelt. It's about a girl who is in this fantastical world dealing with her emotions.

She's lonely, has low self esteem, and is depressed. Through the gameplay, a 3D platformer, which is more about traversal than Mario like pinpoint accuracy and acrobatics, you learn about her relationships. I won't spoil anything but it's one of the few games where I've actually felt drawn in and feel for the character. A lot of the time you see what's coming before she does(deliberate I'm sure) Some of the reveals are a little obvious, some more subtle.

It's not a long game. It took me about 5-6 hours to go through it's 3 chapters. It doesn't outstay its welcome and also chucks achievements at you so that's nice and also Gamepass FTW again.

• 2 weeks later...

Outriders-Series X- Far too long. Story utter bullshit that we stopped watching cut scenes after mission 3(it may have been 2)yet I could not stop playing. Once you spec your character to your play style it becomes less a war of attrition and the fun begins. It's very obtuse in telling you how to do that so begin with guides and go from there. One caveat, if I hadn't have been playing co-op I'd have ditched it long before the end. Game Pass FTW?

Streets of Rage 4-Series X-A good game that holds true to the originals. Still not a fan of the art style but the animation is nice, also the music isn't a patch on the originals(well at least 1&2 as we all know 3 sucked balls) Played it in co-op with Jimmy in an evening. I'll probably go through it again at some point and try out some of the other characters. Game Pass FTW!

New Pokemon Snap (2021) - Switch

Dragon Age 2 (2011) - Series X (BC)

Mix of work research and curiosity since I'd only previously played Inquisition for any considerable stint of time. I know it gets a bad rap for the repeated levels and constant loads, but the BC on Series X made loading times barely noticeable and polished up the resolution and frame rate that it felt modern enough.

Not sure I clicked with the characters or world as much as I have with Inquisition or the ME games, but it was enjoyable and had some really great moments throughout.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart (PS5)

This is a great game. Really shows off the tech of the PS5, fun to play and a nice change of pace from my usual choice of game. Liked it so much I got the platinum after 19 hours of play, which is probably the ideal length for me.

Make sure you download the day 1 patch to play it with RT at 60fps, and have all the haptics on the controller turned on; they really add to the experience.

9/10

I really want to play this. But not at £50 plus. I recently picked up Returnal for £30 so that's my target.

I don’t know what Sony are like when it comes to discounting. If they’re anything like Nintendo you might have a wait on your hands.