2021 Game Completion Thread

Cyberpunk 2077 secret ending 

This was so damn good, its a ballache that you have to basically follow a prescribed route to get it and either spoil the game or be very lucky with your dialogue options.

Also the nomad ending which was just ok, and the "give up" ending which was just heart breaking.

Streets of Rage 4 (Switch)
The Outer Worlds (XBox One)
Sonic The Hedgehog (Mega Drive) All Chaos Emeralds

I have played this a few times since we started making the lists, the 3D version on 3DS in 2014 and the version on the Sonic Classics Collection on the original DS in 2010, but I don't think I've ever got all 6 chaos emeralds - just had to concentrate on the bonus levels to make sure I avoided going in to the exits.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild. - My word. I think it took me around 4 decent efforts to actually get into this game, to the point where Far Cry 4 was taking me away...  It’s incredibly complex and daunting at the beginning, the chocolate weapons really grate and the scope just put me off.  When it finally clicked though I loved it. Ended up getting all the memories and finding all the shrines before seeing off Ganon. Loved the last level as I was a complete tank and taking the castle head on and detecting everything in my path felt genuinely enjoyable. GOAT (seems to be in an in-word at the mo), I’m not sure. But do I get the hype now? Oh yes. 

57 minutes ago, Somerset_Bumkin said:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild. - My word. I think it took me around 4 decent efforts to actually get into this game, to the point where Far Cry 4 was taking me away...  It’s incredibly complex and daunting at the beginning, the chocolate weapons really grate and the scope just put me off.  When it finally clicked though I loved it. Ended up getting all the memories and finding all the shrines before seeing off Ganon. Loved the last level as I was a complete tank and taking the castle head on and detecting everything in my path felt genuinely enjoyable. GOAT (seems to be in an in-word at the mo), I’m not sure. But do I get the hype now? Oh yes. 

I had a similar experience to you - good to finish it eh.

Ass Creed Valhalla (XSeX) if you liked Origins and Odyssey it's more of the same. Not being able to craft arrows is a pain in the arse.

Edited by Shufty

Control-Bone-I liked this but it was more and more frustrating as I got closer to the end. It just felt like tougher and tougher enemies in a combat arena. It reminded me of Uncharted 3. Worth a play, but hopefully the sequel, if there is one mixes it up a bit.  I preferred Quantum Break...and Alan Wake. And Max Payne 3(yes I know they didn't make that one)

EDIT: I also forgot to mention the awful check pointing. One standout moment is the Ashtray maze, absolutely out of leftfield.

The Gardens Between-Bone-  A great little puzzler worth anyone's time, especially as it's on Gamepass. Shades of Braid and Brothers. Played it through in one sitting which was probably 20 minutes longer than it should have been thanks to one particular level. Give it a go :)

On 1/11/2021 at 11:47 PM, Ginja said:

Control-Bone-I liked this but it was more and more frustrating as I got closer to the end. It just felt like tougher and tougher enemies in a combat arena. It reminded me of Uncharted 3. Worth a play, but hopefully the sequel, if there is one mixes it up a bit.  I preferred Quantum Break...and Alan Wake. And Max Payne 3(yes I know they didn't make that one)

EDIT: I also forgot to mention the awful check pointing. One standout moment is the Ashtray maze, absolutely out of leftfield.

I've just started control and have just got to the Astray maze. I keep going around in circles so though I'd forget about it until later. It does annoy me that you lose those bits things when you die, it's made me spend them when I have them. Were you able to upgrade everything? I feel like I don't want to have to pick and choose.

3 hours ago, RetroBob said:

I've just started control and have just got to the Astray maze. I keep going around in circles so though I'd forget about it until later. It does annoy me that you lose those bits things when you die, it's made me spend them when I have them. Were you able to upgrade everything? I feel like I don't want to have to pick and choose.

Noooo, absolutely not. I'm not sure if it's because I lost loads of bits or you just can't. Just go with what suits your play style. You literally can't complete the maze until late game.

Remnant from the Ashes (PC): Not bad. Mechanically good but the level scaling is a bit too obvious which means you dont get to feel more powerful at any point (instead of areas having a set level, they have a minimum level and then when you enter them, they level up to match your highest levelled weapon). Additionally the levels are procedurally generated which robs them of a lot of potential to surprise and tend to feel quite samey, and they're always flat, you never travel up or down anywhere interesting. Also the bosses are pretty easy.

It's fine though, at 7/10.

• 2 weeks later...

Donut County-Series X- Such a charming little game. It clocks in at around 2 hours including some replaying to get the 1000G  Mild puzzles and a kooky story. Well worth trying it on Game Pass.

• 1 month later...

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - One from Xmas 19/20 that I didn’t get round to. Really nice to play a (semi) linear game after Zelda. Didn’t like it to start with as I though the combat was rubbish and really hard.  Turns out it was because the first thing I fought was some dog boss that is nails and then I went to the wrong planet next that you’re not supposed to. Once it clicked though, I really enjoyed it, slightly glitchy in places and the camera wasn’t great but it looked, smelt and felt like Star Wars and I’m looking forward to a sequel.  

Also the first game I’ve 1000g’ed since COD2!!

^^ Nice, I would've 1000g'd it if there had been a fast travel system. I was missing a few collectables and couldn't be arsed traipsing around after them. I did however platinum:

Assassins Creed Odyssey-PS4 on PS5- After a false start with this game early last year I went back to it after I had put 15 hours into Valhalla, as for some reason I needed to know what was going on in the real world story(glad I did though it goes places!!) I put 110 hours into this and haven't even touched the dlc which apparently adds another 50-60 but I just couldn't face them right now. Such a great game though with loads(too much?) to do. Highly recommended and it's always in one sale or another so can be had for cheap :)

The new trilogy is probably a good place they're basically RPGs now.

Origins is the first of them, set in Egypt, and it can also be a massive time sink and cheap as chips.

Having said that I love Black Flag and Syndicate which are the old style will probably still hold up.

You could even get a digital version of Unity from CD Keys for under £1 most weeks :) It's much maligned but it's been patched now and much better.

Injustice 2-Series X-Game Pass just keeps giving. Another decent beat em up and a pretty interesting story. I'd be happy to have a few matches on multiplayer before I delete it if anyone is up for it?

Gears 5 - Glad it was Gamepass out of 10. I actually enjoyed Gears 4 a fair bit, acts 3 and 4 had some fantastic set pieces. 5 has a nicely done story and characters, but the "open world" sections are an enormous misfire to say the least. Just bland, empty spaces with nothing in. Sometimes you come across something and get to fight a wave of enemies, then back to traipsing across nothingness until you cross a load boundary and do an actual mision.

Acts 1 and 4 were pretty nice as there was none of that nonsense, but 2 and 3 were just snooze fests. Completely kills the momentum of the campaign dead, repeatedly. And there's few interesting set pieces to boot. The series is at its best when it uses the level design to raise the mechanics, but there was very little of that here.

Edited by Duffman
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been in a total game slump this year. Started about 20 things and barely played anything for more than 20 minutes. If I finish one this year I'll be happy! :D

The Last of Us 2-Ps4 on 5-This is an amazing game. It's quite possibly the best looking game I've played. It's fucking brutal and depressing and times. The only complaint I have is it has more points it could end than the extended version of Return of the King.

It should have ended a few hours before it did. I was still enjoying the gameplay but the story wasn't doing it for me. I also didn't care about one of the main characters of the 2nd half of the game, which was quite off putting at times. Apart from that it's the sequel I didn't think I needed but I'm very glad we got.

The only complaint I have is it has more points it could end than the extended version of Return of the King.

I saw RotK in the cinema, I'd read the book so knew it would have that stop/start style ending. But after it had done it a few times this guy just yelled out, "DOES IT EVER FUCKING END?"

Edited by Shufty