Woke up at stupid o'clock this morning so managed to put a few hours into this.

First impressions are pretty good, not got far into the story, probably not even out of the tutorial area really but got a car and I'm roaming the city and doing shit.

Graphics are nice, running on ultra with my RTX2070 Super and getting 30-odd fps with rey tracing on but I turned it off and getting a solid 60 fps at the moment.

Not had many bugs, the odd random npc phasing into existence with busy street scenes, had Jackie eat with 4 chopsticks during one cut scene and the eye doctor was a little off with his aim. Certainly not seen any floating corpses, t-posing or other stuff like that. There was an 8gb patch after the game installed then a 500mb update this morning, not the 50gb patch that console owners are getting, im assuming they are just replacing the entire disc contents with the patched digital edition. I think the 500mb patch was to address the shit review from gamespot as you can now choose a male body with female voice and vice versa.

The lauded "customisable genitals" consisted of "none" "penis a" "penis b" and "vagina" with some options for pubes, certainly can't go for "clit and balls" or anything specific like that. The rest of the character creator wasn't anything special, not as much range as I was hoping, there's only a few facial options that look decent so unless you are going for a meme face then most characters are going to look the same.

Went for the corporate start and I'm working on a stealthy/hacker/sniper character but combat is pretty good. It's not a super twitchy cod shooter but it's serviceable enough. I dont get get complaints about enemies being bullet sponges as weapon upgrades are plentiful, and you would expect cyber enhanced humans to take more that one shot to the face before they die.

The voice acting and animations so far are pretty good, but I have an irrational hatred for the over emphasised motion capture animations that every game seems to use, it's like people are all off their tits on coke.

The world looks amazing, especially at night, it really is like being in a mix of modern Tokyo and Blade Runner, not too "now" but not overtly sci-fi either. 

There's an in game sat nav for quests which is comically all over the place, you get a map icon on screen showing where the location is and the distance but the routing is weird and doesn't take you on a direct route, I did get hit by a car at one point going the as the crow flies, but that was my stupidity and assuming cars would stop.

Obviously not far into it, but liking what I'm seeing, it's never going to live up to the hype and it obviously needed a bit more time in the oven, but so far it's pretty good.

So if you saw on WhatsApp, the bugs are kicking in, other than a one off, nothing game breaking, over 6 hours in now and still enjoying it, seriously doubt anyone has played it but the combat is a lot like "ghost in the shell first assault", a really good but short lived fps game. The combat has a "meaty" feel to it and taking someone down isn't one headshot and done but feels rewarding. The group assault quests are a bit annoying though as the npc's will quite happily down a boss while you crouch your way around the level and pick up shit and loot corpses while not firing off a single shot. Better than the cod model where nothing happens until you step onto a quest trigger, but annoying that you then proclaim to the other npc's that you did all the work.

Not on the WhatsApp so didn't see. I've got Yakuza Like A Dragon to finish so I can afford to wait for some patches to actually bring it up to snuff. Sad state of affairs really. CDPR have lost a lot of good will over this game I think.

On 12/11/2020 at 9:19 AM, Shufty said:

CDPR have lost a lot of good will over this game I think.

I mean it was a bit of a lost cause really as no matter what they did, the hype train will never be satisfied but there's nothing serious here. Any Bethesda game had more game breaking bugs at launch than I have seen here. I have seen exactly one t-pose character in 12 hours, a few animation bugs and some background items randomly explode. Not to say others haven't had worse bugs, but I can't see anything not fixable with another patch. I'm enjoying it that much, I am 12 hours in and only just got to the point in the story where the main plot point is revealed. There's so much to do and it's done that well that I'm enjoying just running and gunning against "cyberpsychos" (kind of a mini boss on the map that you can't sneakily take down) then infiltrating a drug den and sneaking out a hostage with no alarms going off, then shopping for the slootiest clothes I can find. If someone picks this up for Christmas or in the January sales, I can't see them disappointed unless they bought into the hype and think this is the next level of gaming, it's not, it's just a vastly improved Skyrim or Fallout 4, which I love.

Cyberpunk 2077 (C) 2020 by CD Projekt RED 11_12_2020 22_07_21.png

Just need to add the caveat that most of the truly bad problems with it are on consoles, particularly the base Xbox and PS4. I won’t be picking it up until the native PS5 version, but hopefully the patches will come quickly for those who bought it already on those systems.

29 minutes ago, El_Patriot said:

Just need to add the caveat that most of the truly bad problems with it are on consoles, particularly the base Xbox and PS4. I won’t be picking it up until the native PS5 version, but hopefully the patches will come quickly for those who bought it already on those systems.

Very true, forgot about the state of it on the base consoles!

Me: It's not that buggy

Also me: See attached :A041:

Cyberpunk 2077 (C) 2020 by CD Projekt RED 12_12_2020 10_56_45.png

So I'm now 21 hours in and only just got to the title screen, but that was through me doing side quests and ignoring the main story. There's a time limit on the main game once you trigger a certain event so I didn't want to trigger that until I messed around and got a good feel for it, got some good gear and levelled up skills I am going to use heavily.

The bugs aren't that bad so far, mostly just graphical problems like the your car that you can summon to your area spawning half way through the road. Still only seen one T-pose, but just had a comical scene where Jackie takes a data chip out of his head, and his handgun jumped into his head then he pulled the gun out and handed it to me rather than the model for a data chip. Not had any gameplay problems, locked quests or anything like that. Had a few forced combat scenarios where playing stealth just can't work, but they are story points, you can't always know what is around the corner so it doesn't feel cheap and makes sense.

I could have very happily spent another 10 hours just cruising and doing stuff, but some areas are locked until you hit the main story and I was keen to move out of the main area.

Yeah, I mean it's noble and all, but surely someone high up must have decided to ship the game looking like a Minecraft mod on the base consoles. Even if they just said "base systems are coming Q1 2021" and got Sony/MS to lock out the game at a software level on the base consoles, that would have been better than this.

I played about 10 hours via ps5 backwards compatibility, put it down on Friday and haven't gone back to it. Gonna leave it now until the next gen patch comes out.

Glitches, bugs and crashes aside I also felt that the systems had been pared right back from what was shown or hinted at over the years. 

Yeah lots of people have said the same thing, there's a reddit post detailing all the stuff that was promised but not delivered on. I didn't really pay much attention to the hype, so it being "Fallout 4.5" isn't that much of a problem for me. It is a bit of a No Man's Sky situation, hopefully they address it all as they have lost tons of good will, took Hello Games a long time to recover.

I've got faith in CDPR. I'll put the game down for 6 months or however long the PS5 patch takes. I'm fairly certain I'll be coming back in to a game that delivers on a lot more of the hype it has generated. 

I've put in for a refund. I haven't touched it for over a week.

It really is a shame. I was hoping for something special. Bugs aside it is just a very basic a tion adventure game with poor AI and minimal immersion. I was so disappointed when a trip to the riooersoc literally just involved clicking on a cybernetic mod in a list then, tada that's it installed. Body parts removed all with zero interaction. 

I hate to say it, but I am still having the best time with this game, some minor side story and romance option spoilers below.

So one of the side quests was, quite frankly one of the best experiences I have had in any game. There is a convicted murderer who found god in prison, and is sentenced to death. He makes a deal with a brain dance network to die on camera as part repentance and to help a world where religion has fallen into obscurity and extremism to help people find god and make peace with themselves. Bit silly and generic sounding I know, but Johnny gets his finger in this pie and basically encourages you to make him see his plan through, you have the network exec pushing for views and promises you a silly amount of money and then he starts having doubts at the last minute. It was genuinely touching in places, seeing this broken man trying to make right with the world but fearing his decision, the pressure for him to die from all sides, meeting the family of one of his victims and then Johnny trying to push the "burn the world" angle. In the end you have the decision to quietly sit and pray with him then nail him to a cross and stand there and watch him die. Honestly one of the most moving "throwaway" quests I have ever experienced and easily missed in the glut of options.

Then there's the romance options, I played as a female character so only really had two options for romance, luckily I knew in advance that Judy only liked cis women and wanted to romance her as soon as I saw her in the previews, hence the option of playing as a woman. Took quite a while getting there, you have to jump through a lot of filler quests and be careful with your dialogue. Well not that careful, but there's some obvious dialogue options you need to choose, so if you want to role play a particular style then you have to make compromises, which I guess is realistic if you want to get your end away. I know people were disappointed with the romance system, but the "quest" (not really a quest, just a side story) was stunning leading up to the sexy time scene. You go scuba diving through a flooded small town and are linked through your cyberbrains and explore her childhood, her home town and learn about her back story. Took a long time to get to it, but it was genuinely beautiful, it's just a shame that essentially I am done with it, there's nothing else to do with the romance other than a specific ending, but I don't know the steps to get it and don't want to read up on it as trying my best to avoid spoilers.

And then, despite all the good bits, I am still having "fun" with transport, this is me summoning one of my cars: