Journalist says Xbox Series X can get ‘hot like a fireplace’

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/journalist-says-xbox-series-x-can-get-hot-like-a-fireplace/

Not sure if this is a backwards compatibility thing, an early/test hardware thing or a one-off hardware problem thing, but interesting to note that two journalists have reported the same high temperatures. Would be interesting to keep an eye on this as the launch PS3's (and 360's) had similar problems on launch, but not quite "I burned myself" bad.

At least they are launching at the right time of the year, and the shape will allow it to make a convenient foot stool to keep your tootsies warm over Christmas?

But, but, gamepass and Bethesda etc.

I’m joking, but I don’t know what this means. High temp= high failure potential? Possibly high running costs? Or could it mean that the cooling solution is super effective? Definitely need to see impressions of it running something next gen, which I don’t know if they’ve shown any footage of yet.

Yeah it's still a very open ended question at this point if it's a problem with the hardware or just a one off or a bad batch of consoles. It has been noted elsewhere that there is very little (any?) "recorded on Series X" footage, most of it has been "recorded on PC, representative of Series X hardware" so I am curious if this is in any way related. There have been other Series X hands-on reports that have not mentioned excess heat, but this might be to a different batch of hardware and it not being an issue or just the journalists weren't stressing the machine or even looking for heat problems.

I'm calling it now, the PS6 and XBOX Series XI are just going to be normal ATX desktop cases with a huge water cooling kit and a Sony/MS sticker on the front.

Video I was watching was arguing that yes it'll get warm, as long as the heat escapes which the whole design of it seems to facilitate then should be fine. 360 and PS3 issues were heat not escaping when generated.

But he didn't have a unit so did qualify that he was going to keep an eye out come launch.

Interesting!

His original quote was this:

The Series X is hot, like really hot! It doesn’t make any noise, but damn it’s hot! The console is emitting heat like crazy. It’s almost like a fireplace shaft. You can heat up your flat with it.

Was he just being dramatic or was he pressured to take it down I wonder?

Ah cool (pun?), the quote I put was from a French journalist, who has taken down his video. Seems weird for a journalist to damage their reputation by putting out such an inflammatory (pun!) statement.

The amount of power they're packing in both these boxes is gonna make heat inevitable. You basically have "small" form factor PCs at this point with enthusiast level components inside, without the space for cooling that a full size PC would have. Plus modern components just get hotter and hotter as we cram more transistors onto a single chip. Not to mention NVMe drives get hot too (they usually need their own heatsink) so there's also more components generating heat.

Heat tolerances are pretty high for most components though, like >90 celcius iirc. As long as you don't block off the vents etc though you should be golden, probably why the SX stand isn't removable.

Yeah, I joked about the next gen just being an ATX desktop, but in reality they are probably going to have to water cool the next gen to keep it in the current form factor. Although MS have taken the first steps away from the VCR form factor, so maybe they will keep advancing and letting form follow function, depending on customer reaction to actually trying to fit such an odd shape into an average entertainment centre.

Judging by this impressions video today, it seems like it's actually only hitting 51 degrees, which is... not very much, actually. My GPU gets far hotter than that and apparently that's cooler than a PS4 Pro/One X.

I think the guy who got "almost burned" apparently pulled the expandable storage SSD out and then touched the metal connector, which is A Bad Idea, because SSDs will get very hot, but the console itself seems fine. I expect PS5 to be much the same.

Yeah my RTX 2070 Super can happily hit 70C+ in some games, and that's in a big case with multiple fans. Very impressed by how well it handled having the top covered, while obviously not something you would do in the real world, it's still not choking on the heat.

Seeing as the RROD cost them $1 billion probably at the forefront of people's minds when designing. Also why people ran with it in the first place.