Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Somerset_Bumkin

2020 Game Completion Thread

Nah, it was epically awesome I thought that was totally immersive. I think you missed a trick by not doing the side missions as some of those were the best ones. Game is completely jam packed full of detail that constantly leaves you awestruck. Didn’t you notice the shrinking stallion balls in the snow?  

You make a valid point though, RDR1 was a better game to play. But the sequel is an unbelievable privilege to be able to play. 

Shrinking horse balls does not make a fun game. I didn’t question the level of detail and the systems; it makes for a great simulator but not a fun game.

A privilege to play? :lol:

As in, you think how amazing it actually is the be immersed so deeply in the Wild West and be free to do almost as you please. It is a privilege, wasn’t that long ago for me I was playing Jet Set Willy!

The original was definitely a better ‘game’, and I’ve played that though twice. Still not feeling the urge to play 2 again, would rather see a remaster of the original. 

Edited by Somerset_Bumkin

Monster Hunter World Iceborne

Completed the story mode, refreshing update to the game, takes you back to how you felt first playing it, totally unprepared and undergeared. The monsters are a challenge again, and I haven't even got to Iceborne tempered monsters yet.

The handler still needs to die though, cannot stand her, to the point I paid for the Mr X DLC just to glean some enjoyment out of the bits she is in.

Metro-Last Light-PS4- A great story based shooter that does everything better than 2033. I've already downloaded Exodus to got straight into it. Although Al has said it's not very good, but we all know what he's like... ;)

Death Stranding (PS4) - 2019 - 5/5

This was a while back actually, but after some initial trepidation about whether I'd like another Kojima game, I ended up really clicking with this. I liken it to something like Animal Crossing or Stardew Valley, and it was my "zen" game for decompressing after the day / week. 

What Remains of Edith Finch (XB1) - 2017 - 4/5

Beautiful little game that was full of surprises. 

FC5 New Dawn (Bone)

Dawn of War (PC)-  Retreated to my office last week to get some space During lockdown and rediscovered my PC and Steam. Still a great RTS, if a little easy on normal.  Started DW2 straight after as it was on steam but want to go back to the original expansions as soon as I can be bothered to get them out of my attic. 

Pretty pathetic game list so far this year. Damn kids. 

Edited by Somerset_Bumkin

Aladdin (Master System)
The Walking Dead Season 1 (The Walking Dead: The Telltale Definitive Series, Xbox One)
The Walking Dead Season 2 (The Walking Dead: The Telltale Definitive Series, Xbox One)
Outer Wilds (Xbox One)
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (Wii U)

I started this on the GameCube and got bored probably around the Tower of the Gods. I got the HD version when it came out but never got around to playing it until now. This was my first Zleda game at the time and I've played all since, including the DS ones.

I definitely appreciate the fast sail this time and enjoyed being in the world, but I can't help feeling a bit disappointed that the dungeons felt short and there weren't many of them. That said, some of the DS games the dungeons were too big so perhaps I'm hard to please. I think I am perhaps unfairly judging based on the my experience with all the subsequent games which I enjoyed and finished*

* Except Twilight Princess, got bored and Link Between Worlds, not played yet.

Frankly I find it more surprising that there are people who managed to not get bored playing Twilight Princess.

1 hour ago, Duffman said:

Frankly I find it more surprising that there are people who managed to not get bored playing Twilight Princess.

OY!

I liked TP. It was my first 3D Zelda completion, I had the GC version.

I have the Wii U version and got about 20 hours in and lost my save due to my stupidity. I'm defiinitely going back to it at some point.

It's the only one I've started but never finished. Genuinely put me to sleep unless I was in a dungeon.

3 hours ago, Duffman said:

It's the only one I've started but never finished. Genuinely put me to sleep unless I was in a dungeon.

That's the thing, it's got great dungeons. I will concede that the world is too big with  little to do.

However it's significantly better than the repetitive nature of Skyward Sword, which I did enjoy but found it to be a slog.

Im playing LOZ BOW at the moment and whilst it’s stunning I can’t help but find it bit of a slog that’s got a daunting map, no real explanations of what to do and just generally being a bit too much of a RPG. WW was an absolute peach of a game, loved every second. - Also the first Zelda game I played and I’m getting through them now too. 

Ditto on TP, replayed it recently and just struggled to connect with any of it. Some cool mechanics and locations for the dungeons, but overall bit of a snore-fest.

I'd absolutely take a modern sequel in the same style as WW though. I loved everything about that game, and getting to spend more time in it, doing more dungeons and seeing more parts of the world (outside of the heavily-gimmicky DS games) would be fantastic.

Resident Evil 5 - Co-op (360 on XB1) - 2009 - 2/5
Oof, I remember enjoying this a lot more at the time but it hasn't aged well at all. It starts off well enough, but as soon as it starts getting into the gun-toting zombies and Wesker's bullshit it really falls off a cliff.

After coming off the RE2 remake, I really missed the days when RE leaned more into the horror aspects. This - and to an extent 4 before it - got a bit full of themselves and making everyone a superhero. 

Resident Evil 3 Remake (XB1) - 2020 - 4/5
A bit rougher around the edges compared to the RE2 remake and definitely a bit more conservative in adding/changing stuff, but this was still a riot. Really like Jill as a character, and the combat was really tense. 

Would love to see Capcom explore more of this "1998/1999" period in new games in a similar style rather than going straight to an RE4 remake. I'm not sure how well Zero/CV would work in this style as I remember them being absolutely nutso, but seeing what other characters were up to between this and when it ended up going DEEP into Wesker-was-behind-everything territory would be awesome.

Here's what I've beaten this year:

Shovel Knight: King of Cards (NS)
Good stuff although I didn't really enjoy the card minigame that much which knocks a few points off. Platforming wise it's probably the second best of the bunch most of the way through bar some frustrating sections. Also reminds me a bit of Wario Land which is nice.

Dragon Quest XI (NS)
Quality old school RPG with fun characters and combat, an enourmous amount of content and a slightly lackluster story.

God of War (PS4)
Never finished this the first time because I played it on hard and apparently nobody at SSM knew how to make a hard mode not terrible. This time around I started on normal and it was a lot better. I didn't think much of the story but the visuals are great, the performances are good and the combat is great. Could use more enemy variety next time round though and the bosses are mostly a bit crap.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore (NS)
Didn't really know what to expect from this but had a lot of fun. One of the more enjoyable JRPG combat systems I've ever seen and nice to have some dungeons that are actually interesting to explore in a modern JRPG for a change.

Resident Evil 4 (NS)
Started this a few times on PC but never finished it. This time around I went through it. Some naff bosses aside I really enjoyed it but I'm glad the series has gone back to its horror roots. The story is basically nonexistent as well. But the actual combat and fighting is great, it's a really good action game.

Doom Eternal (PC)
It's like Doom 2016 and sometimes better than it, but the first few levels kind of suck as the combat only really works once you have all the options available to you, and the game simply will not stop throwing tutorials at you. The later levels get quite repetitive because the encounter design descends into just throwing billions of large enemies at you and the fights get very samey and there's often bizarre design decisions that make no sense. But when it clicks it's terriffic, there's a chain of levels in the middle that's just awesome. It also loses points on account of the Marauder being the worst enemy in all of video games.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps (PC)
Largely really enjoyed it but just like the last one there's a bunch of little frustrations here and there that hold it back from being really great. Many sections just feel really fiddly and it surprising how often you feel like you've got through a section the "wrong" way and it turns out that was genuinely what you were expected to do. The PC port was also pretty poor with all sorts of issues. Still, the music and visuals are stunning and it feels great to play the rest of the time.

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (NS)
I thought I'd love this, but it's not as much of a metroidvania as people would have you believe, and it really plays a lot more like an 8 bit game than I expected. It's got lots of random difficulty spikes too, and some really obtuse puzzles. The form switching isn't as great as you'd hope either as half of them are useless. It was fine for a while but toward the end it just alternated between frustrating and boring.

On 4/4/2020 at 8:14 AM, Somerset_Bumkin said:

FC5 New Dawn (Bone)

Dawn of War (PC)

Dawn of War 2 (PC).  The old PC is getting anew lease of life as it’s in a separate building to my family during lockdown!  Never did complete this first time around due to a glitch killing it for me. Did it this time and it was easier than I remember.   Definitely prefer the the original RTS but this was great fun all the same.  Need to dig out some of my expansion packs now. 

Not sure if I’ll bother with III as it seems even further from the original’s roots than the first sequel was. 

COD:Infinite Warfare-Bone- Finished it in 3 sittings over 2 days. I needed something easy to play and quick to finish. I finished this when it first came out and really enjoyed it then. It's shorter than I remember. Still fun, but the multiplayer still sucks.

Darksiders:Warmastered Edition-PS4- Still a good game, but it's a shame it didn't have a few changes made to it when it was re-released to make it less frustrating in places. For those that have never played it, it's the bastard love child of Zelda and God of War that got the worst genes from each parent but still somehow managed to shine brightly at times. I paid £3.49 for it so it won't break the bank to try it.

Resident Evil 5 - Co-op (360 on XB1) - 2009 - 2/5
Resident Evil 3 Remake (XB1) - 2020 - 4/5

Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4) - 2020 - 5/5
Well howdy, they did a great job on this. A couple of minor niggles on execution, but generally the story and combat updates were fantastic. Often, I found myself getting extremely invested despite knowing basically what's going on, and the combat felt fluid and exciting throughout.

Not keen to wait a couple of years for Part 2, but I've already downloaded the original on Switch to keep me busy.

Gears 5 on PC - better than 4, they took out those bloody forced horde bits and you barely saw those crap weapons they introduced in that one

On 4/15/2020 at 10:51 PM, Somerset_Bumkin said:

Far Cry 5: New Dawn (Bone)

Dawn of War (PC)
Dawn of War 2 (PC).

Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising. Never did complete this back in the day either!  Pretty good actually. 

COD WW2-BONE- I really enjoyed this more the 2nd time around. Story is pretty good and  some of the set pieces are pretty spectacular. Well worth the £5 I spent on it :)