Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Somerset_Bumkin

2020 Game Completion Thread

Far Cry 5 New Dawn (Bone) - Not a full FC game but more than some DLC. Basically an enhanced endgame to FC5 set about 15 years after and covering about 1/3 of the original map. I really got into it as I find the FC formula very addictive, everything FC5 did well this does well and vice versa, tried some new game mechanics that don’t really work but it’s still great.  Best part are the expeditions that are 7 unique mini maps where you do a smash and grab of a back pack and then have 2 wait a few minutes for rescue gunning down hordes of enemy. Highly recommended for sub £20. 

Aladdin (Master System)

Came out around the time the film was released here (which was a year past the US film release) and follows the plot very closely, meaning I could read the text in the cutscenes to my son, who loves Aladdin and was having fun watching me play this. As you'd expect with a 1993 movie licence, it's fairly straightforward platforming but is quite different to the Mega Drive and SNES versions that most people will know. Someone thought... what if we made a game that animated a bit like (but not as smooth as) Prince of Persia, there's sneaking past spikes, running, long jumps etc. etc.

There are some quite lengthy cutscenes between the levels - I reckon if you burn through this you could do it in 25-30 mins, and the cutscenes are probably another 15 to 20 mins on top of that. I enjoyed it!

Last thing... I played this on my MegaSG on a massive TV, that thing is amazing.

Interesting, I thought it was just a pared down version of the MegaDrive version!

I finished Catherine Classic - POC

I have a love/hate relationship with this game, it's brilliant but bullshit at the same time, you can blaze though some levels first time, but then get fucked over by crap AI and have to retry a level a dozen times until RNGesus smiles upon you. I got the good ending, and have no desire whatsoever to grind for the other 12, at least for another year or so when i forget how much I wanted to put the controller through the TV.

LOL @RNGesus ^^

Afterparty-Xbone- First of the year. It's pretty good and has some great character interactions but there's a whole lot of walking with nothing happening. I probably wouldn't have played it without Gamepass and it was good enough for me to finish so there's that. There's reasons to go for a 2nd playthrough as there's different "quests", but it's not enough for me to go through again.

Aladdin (Master System)
The Walking Dead Season 1 (The Walking Dead Definitive Edition, Xbox One)

Had been meaning to play through these now that all seasons are out there. I have only the first two seasons, both are backward compatible 360 games, but it made sense to just buy the definitive edition with everything in, rather than the remaining seasons individually. It's nice to go back to these after so long, these games could easily have been released today as new games and would be well received.

Aladdin (Master System)
The Walking Dead Season 1 (The Walking Dead: The Telltale Definitive Series, Xbox One)
The Walking Dead Season 2 (The Walking Dead: The Telltale Definitive Series, Xbox One)

Same as above!

Afterparty-Xbone- First of the year. It's pretty good and has some great character interactions but there's a whole lot of walking with nothing happening. I probably wouldn't have played it without Gamepass and it was good enough for me to finish so there's that. There's reasons to go for a 2nd playthrough as there's different "quests", but it's not enough for me to go through again.

God of War-PS4- Wow! After a couple of false starts with this game due to it being so different to all the God of War games that had come before, this game is something else. I couldn't get my head around the changes initially as it wasn't what I was looking for in a God of War game, plus I'm sure something else was distracting me at the time.(Probably Destiny 2...) Anyway this game is a whole lot of Zelda, with a more refined combat system, but with whole lot more gore. There's so much to find, so much to do and I'm going to platinum this at some point in the future for sure, but that backlog waits for no man so I'm moving on to...one of many. TLDR? Play God of War.

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order (PS4)

Really enjoyed this throughout, although perhaps a bit too much backtracking. I didn’t like the save point system, which is a bit of a pain, and the combat while engaging and pretty well done wasn’t the best. I would’ve preferred if it had played more simply like Force Unleashed, but I know they went for a Souls type of experience which I don’t have much patience for.

Aside from those minor issues I didn’t have any bugs (on a Pro) but the animation was a bit janky at times.

Almost forgot that the controls felt a bit heavy when platforming, especially on the stupid overused slides.

Definitely worth a go. 7/10 from me (from not a huge SW fan) which makes it better than all but 2 of the movies.

Horizon: Zero Dawn & The Frozen Wilds

I started this aaages ago last year but never quite got "into" it, but picked it up again a couple of days ago since I moved flat we have no internet until thursday. It was a good time, with excellent combat. Main downsides were that I felt the world was a bit open-world-by-numbers and some of the machines felt so damn spongy to fight against. That said, the expansion's weapons improved that a lot, the charge up bows were a lot of fun to use and struck the right balance between enemy health and damage output. Also the DLC had a massively better quality of cinematics and animation which I felt was something rather lacking in the main game. Enjoyed altogether though, solid plot and characters.

On 1/21/2020 at 11:38 PM, Ginja said:

God of War-PS4- Wow! After a couple of false starts with this game due to it being so different to all the God of War games that had come before, this game is something else. I couldn't get my head around the changes initially as it wasn't what I was looking for in a God of War game, plus I'm sure something else was distracting me at the time.(Probably Destiny 2...) Anyway this game is a whole lot of Zelda, with a more refined combat system, but with whole lot more gore. There's so much to find, so much to do and I'm going to platinum this at some point in the future for sure, but that backlog waits for no man so I'm moving on to...one of many. TLDR? Play God of War.

Halo:CE_Xbone- Seriously fuck this game now. So obtuse in its design. Outdated and the only reason it was fun was co-op with Biggy and that was because we shared the misery. Not his company, because fuck that guy/JK.

I think they changed up the library to make it less monotonous... maybe something about the lighting to make it more obvious where to go? I dunno.

They added arrows on the floor if you played it with remastered graphics. That’s how badly designed that area was originally.

55 minutes ago, Somerset_Bumkin said:

I still think it plays well, what’s wrong with you? Was it the Library?

Just so much wrong with it, the check pointing in co-op games where we had to restart a whole level, glitches on the last level where you have to get out of he warthog and run the last few metres and the ship blows up but doesn't give you enough time to reach safety even though we had more than enough on the clock.

Level design is dated, and even the arrows didn't help in some situations. The shooting is still fun, but there's too many frustrations surrounding it now. I can't see me ever playing through it again tbh.

Let's be real, the only Halo game that has a good campaign from beginning to end are Reach and ODST. CE is rubbish after half way, 2 is rubbish the entire way through, 3 is rubbish at the beginning and end, 4 is just ehhhhh. Haven't played 5 but heard similar things.

5 was beyond average but not much worse than 4.  I still think CE plays well from start to finish, I enjoyed 2 more on the remaster than I did first time around as I forgot how massive it was, felt 3 was a bit overrated but still great. 

For me it’s because me it does a rare thing and that’s drag me into its universe.  Anyway, we’ll up for some coop on the others if your playing. 

Yeah it's an interesting universe and the first is an important game for kind of standardising how FPS games should be "done" on consoles. And of course the MP was the draw for a big portion of people from 2 onward.

On 1/29/2020 at 11:23 PM, Ginja said:

Halo:CE_Xbone- Seriously fuck this game now. So obtuse in its design. Outdated and the only reason it was fun was co-op with Biggy and that was because we shared the misery. Not his company, because fuck that guy/JK.

Metro 2033 Redux-PS4- I've been reading the book(and finished that today too!) so I decided to go back to these games. The story beats are very similar so I'm glad I finished the book first. Anyway the game is really good, if a bit dated but not without some bullshit. It looks ok, but considering it's a remaster it should look better, but then the remaster is 6 years old so...

I'm starting the Metro 2034 book tomorrow so I may have Last Light done before the end of the month.

Aladdin (Master System)
The Walking Dead Season 1 (The Walking Dead: The Telltale Definitive Series, Xbox One)
The Walking Dead Season 2 (The Walking Dead: The Telltale Definitive Series, Xbox One)
Outer Wilds (Xbox One)

I can totally see why this was Giantbomb's GOTY - they created an amazing world, interesting characters and sci fi mystery! Not many here have finished this, but it's worth your time.

On 2/5/2020 at 12:46 AM, Ginja said:
On 1/29/2020 at 11:23 PM, Ginja said:

Metro 2033 Redux-PS4- I've been reading the book(and finished that today too!) so I decided to go back to these games. The story beats are very similar so I'm glad I finished the book first. Anyway the game is really good, if a bit dated but not without some bullshit. It looks ok, but considering it's a remaster it should look better, but then the remaster is 6 years old so...

A Plague Tale:Innocence-Bone- Another game pass game, except this one I had my eye on waiting for it to hit sub £20. Luckily I didn't need to wait. Anyway, it's a pretty decent 3rd person adventure, very linear but that's not to it's detriment. What is though is the story in the last few chapters where it completely jumps the shark. It could have done without going where it went. It also informs the ending of the game and kind of spoils the gameplay. Apart from that I thought it was a lot of fun and I'm glad I played it. Worth anyones time for sure, and it only took me about 12 hours to finish.

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order (PC) 

Some good ideas with mostly decent execution but that camera can fuck off. Also a worrying trend with games on PC. Pad disconnects, game carries on without pausing. 

Yakuza 4 (PS4) 

Still love this series. 

Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)

Finally got round to finishing this. I’m done with Rockstar games after this (until I get sucked in by the hype again and am left disappointed again). 

The controls and physics, which they seem to have in every Rockstar game, are so heavy and slow they make walking around a chore and the combat, as a pseudo cover shooter, mostly awful. The controls are very convoluted, there’s just too much going on. The same button for climbing also picks your hat up off the floor, which is different to picking a gun off the floor. Think I got RSI from tapping the sprint button so much. After taking a break from it I had to spend an age figuring out the controls again.

Over the course of a 50-ish hour game, and I skipped all of the side quests, the story doesn’t get going until around the last third. The end and epilogue are pretty good but it’s painful getting there. It takes ages to get anywhere until you unlock fast travel quite a way in, and even then it isn’t straight forward.

I think the game is just far too big. You can get stuck in with hunting and fishing and other things, and the world is huge and detailed but it seems that Rockstar have lost sight of what makes a game fun. It’s a Wild West simulator and not a fun game. Apart from the previous Red Dead I don’t think Rockstar made a fun game since the PS2.