Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Somerset_Bumkin

Network help

I’m lost with networks nowadays so would appreciate some help if you can. I’ve basically built an outbuilding and put a cat 6 cable out to it and installed TP-Link TL-WR940N 450Mbps... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003Y5RYNY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share for WiFi. 

is it possible to set it up so it replicates the WiFi in the house so I don’t need to create a new login for phones etc?  It’s basically plugged into the back of my home WiFi router via a network cable. 

Thanks in advance. 

Ash and others will know better than me I'm sure, but I guess you'd need to set the 'username' and password to match the ones that your house uses, plus perhaps the security type, so it uses the right one. Not sure about other settings. That's my laymans assumption. I have a follow up network question to ask once this is solved for you Bummers.

2 hours ago, Somerset_Bumkin said:

Ask away buddy, I’m not precious!

Thanks!

First bit is really just a recommendation ask. A few years ago I had my house wired with CAT 6E which will should have us covered for presonal needs. This should good for a gigabit network, problem is the two network switches I have around the place are only 10/100. Can anyone recommend a decent switch?

The dumber question is... is it going to matter which socket I plug stuff in to? Can I expect there to be a dedicated socket for the wire coming from the router? Or any buying/using advice would be appreciated.

Bummers, you have the main router in your house and then it's cabled to the TP Link? You can just use wifi extenders to repeat the signal from the house and it's the same network.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-EX2700/dp/B00NIUHAG6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=AJTPNA587BVY&keywords=wifi+extender&qid=1578005562&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&sprefix=wifi+ext%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-3

Something like this? I don't use them myself so you'd need to do your own research.

Bob, you don't need anything fancy an unmanaged switch https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS108UK-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B0000E5SES/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=netgear+switch&qid=1578005279&sr=8-4 

will be fine and any port on the router is good. I use this model myself  with my PC, TV and 4 consoles attached with no issues via a Home plug network.

According to the Amazon page there is an app to clone your existing WiFi:

Yes, use a power line Ethernet plug from your main router, then have this set up where needed, as last by as it is on the same electric circuit. Use the power line as the feed for it. Use the tp link app to clone your internet (or have it as a separate ssid if you want a separate set up) I have a large Edwardian property with thick walls. Using this I have at least 30mbps throughout

But if you go into the config page for the TP Link router, you should be able to just change the SSID (router name) and password to whatever your main one is. Should take all of 2 minutes to do.