Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RetroBob

DOOM, II and 3 - Switch

This was a nice surprise a few weeks ago. Looks like DOOM and feels like DOOM which is very important. The games themselves are dead cheap.

There was a minor annoyance with having to have a Bathesda account to play but apparently that is patched out now.

Currently at Drayton Manor so sitting on the top bunk playing this in a Thomas themed room whilst my kid sleeps below me and my v pregnant wife is in the double.

Anyone else given these Switch versions a blast?

Good point, I had a crack on Turok as well! It was a few months back on Xbone. It's great now you can actually see what's going on.

Is doom 3 the original or the improved one whereby you didn’t need to have the pistol in order to see what was going on? Ie. The other weapons had torches on them. 

It has DOOM 3 and DOOM 3 Resurrection of Evil which is the standalone expansion pack you're referring to. It also has something called "The Lost Mission" which is 8 levels cut from the original game. I played both DOOM 3 and DOOM 3 ROE back in the day on Xbox, ROE definitely improves on the original. Lots of value in this pack fo sho.

I got the original Doom on Switch. Still a great game. Haven’t picked up the others yet, hoping for a physical pack with those and Doom 64. 

Doom 3 is the updated version where all weapons have a torch.

Haven’t got to Turok yet, waiting for my physical copy to arrive.

Edited by El_Patriot

I grabbed Doom 3 and I'll probably get Doom 64 when that launches. Skipped on the original 2 though as they seem to be pretty poor ports all things considered, and I always thought Doom 2 worked better as a platform for the incredible selection of mods and custom content it has than as a standalone game. Some of the level design in it is dreadful.

Nah, it's an all new game that was never ported to other systems. Has slightly modified gameplay, and totally different environments and monster sprites, and tries for a more horror atmosphere. More importantly it has good level design, so it's kind of like a Doom 2 that actually play well today :P

There's a pretty decent remake you can play on the PC if you want to see it:

Am about 2.5 hours in to the DOOM 3 campaign now - the good news is that they added the shoulder mounted flashlight from the Resurrection of Evil expansion to this.