Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RetroBob

Tetris 99

Ok, who be playing this and what's your highest placing? I managed to get to 6th on second go but haven't got anywhere close to that after. That was before I knew there was any strategy with targeting Attackers, KOs, Badges or whatever the other thing is. 

39th on my 2nd and last go...I didn't know about attacking etc until I heard it on Giant Bomb/Beastcast. Will definitely play some more soon.

Nice DLC pack adds an offline 1P modes... 150 lines or 999 lines, as well as player vs 98 CPU players where you can set the difficulty.

Also... I came 2nd in a game last night!

I can never quite get my head around this game. I usually do ok, until suddenly I get targeted by That One Player who just dumps an enourmous amount of shit on my screen before I have a chance to recover. I'm midway setting up a tetris, 12 lines appear and so I abort the tetris and try to just clear asap but I don't have the right pieces immediately on hand and just get another 12 dumped on me. Always seems to be how I die; doing fine then suddenly get utterly destroyed out of nowhere in 5 seconds flat.

I've been watching a guy on You Tube called Tafokints who is a fucking legend at this game. He does some nice tutorial work.

Sometimes you're right, if you get picked on and they don't switch away to someone else then it does make it hard to get much past top 50, if that. If might be that if you are attacking them, they are trying to get you to switch to someone else... so you could try that just to get them off your back. I usually leave it on Randoms, then when I have built up a stack, got a long piece saved and then when I get another one... switch to K.Os and carve down to send them a load of junk and try and taken them out.

The reason I stay with randoms to start is that you are more likely to be targeting someone who isn't as good, vs people who might be making a point to attack you, or are good and already have badges and might attack you back!

Really good people build up to the top and keep it there because you send more rubbish when you are at the top. Another potential strategy is to keep low and not try and take people out until the mid game, in order to stay under the radar of good players who want to get lots of badges.

Lot's of strategies... not that I am any good, I tend to stick to building up my stack and carving down again because I'm not great at dealing with the pressure at the end. Watch Tafokints, he's awesome.

I played a few rounds of this earlier and nearly broke into the top 20. Still I'll take 21st. I was just about to drop a triple line when a ton of garbage hit my screen and fucked me:(

There's a Tournament on this weekend and if you get 100 points during it there's a Gameboy theme in it for you. Starts tomorrow at 8am.

DOUBLE POST:

Just got 8th!! Fuck that got hectic. I would've got higher but I fucked up dropping into a gap and blocked myself, I nearly recovered but alas it went tits up. Just over halfway to that Gameboy theme :)

Gonna play a bit this weekend to get that theme.

Speaking of themes did you try Puyo Puyo Tetris at all? Great game and a ton of nice little block themes (including GB!)

I did like Puyo Puyo Tetris but mainly for the Tetris part. I couldn't get the hang of building chains intenitonally... my mind just fails to be able to see ahead.

The theme is relatively easy to get - I've played 4 games and at 35 points already. Just need 100. It's great seeing the old graphics and music!!!

The Pro Controller has a notoriously shitty d-pad which registers the wrong directional input a lot of the time. Pressing left/right can trigger an up press which accidentally makes you hard drop a piece. Mine's not as bad for it many people's but it's fucked me over a few times. There's actually even an option in Tetris 99 specifically because of it, where you can change the drop sensitivity. Made me drop a piece in a really bad location which meant I couldn't clear any lines. Probably wouldn't have won anyway but definitely finished me prematurely. But at least it reminded me to actually go and turn that setting on.

Oh I see - they did a patch a couple of months back, there's a setting you can change now - I used to get those accidental hard drops, but nothing since.