Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Duffman

Apex Legends

This is the best BR game. There is no question.

1. Solid gunplay - the weapons just feel good to use, sound great and have just the right amount of kick. Bullet drop and travel time keeps things reasonably challenging. The TTK is fairly high so you don't get fucking instantly blitzed by the pros as well.
  2. Ping system - this shit is genius. At a basic level, a context sensitive button press highlights things on your team's hud - from "lets to go here" if you haven't got anything of note in your crosshair, to putting it over a decent bit of loot you don't need and highlighting it for your team. You can highlight unopened containers, or with a double press, mark a spot where you've seen an enemy. Hold it down and you get a radial menu where you can say "this area's already looted" or other similar callouts. Even better, you can highlight spaces in your inventory and ping those too - need heavy ammo? Just open your inventory, put the cursor over your ammo icon and hit the ping button and your character will point it out. Need a scope? Just request one.
  3. Jumpmaster - I've always hated playing with randos in these games because they'll mark a place to land and fucking miss by a mile while you land where you're supposed to and eat shit at the hands of an enemy squad. Not here - one of your squad gets assigned jumpmaster. When they jump, you jump automatically and you automatically follow their flight path. If you really don't like it, you can hit a button to break off, but it keeps people together brilliantly. You can use the ping system to suggest locations, and ping an existing location to do an "I agree", and so on.
  4. Voiced callouts - All the ping stuff is fully voiced - your character has several voice lines for every type of ping. They'll even say "I need a high power scope" if you're requesting a scope on a sniper rifle and "need close range optics" if you do it on a shotgun. Plus, your characters are generally vocal as they perform actions, which gives a HUGE amount of character to the game
  5. Characters - Speaking of characters, you get to pick one. Each of your squad take turns to pick one of the 8 current characters, each has a passive, active and ultimate ability. They confer a certain amount of playstyle changes, but don't break the game. Bloodhound for example can pulse every 30 seconds to scan for enemies, but it only works at a short range and if they are moving. His passive lets him see hud icons pointing out recent enemy activity - fired gun here, climbed up here, and so on. His ult highlights enemies red and lets him move fast for a short time. Makes him a great recon character. There's a medic character who can revive people quicker and deploy a healing drone and call in supply drops, and so on. 
  6. Respawns - You can respawn, somewhat aptly for a game by respawn. This immediately improves squads, because if you win a teamfight and only you died you don't have to sit and watch without interaction. If your team reach your body inside 90 seconds they can collect your banner. Then they take it to one of the respawn stations and call in a dropship, which you jump out of. No gear but that's not usually a problem if you can reach your own body again to resupply.
  7. Loot - The loot's tiered and works really well. Most guns are pretty decent, and there's a great selection of weapon attachments to pick from. There's also all sorts of equipment and healing items, from different levels of armour and helmets through to consumables which fast charge your ultimate or instant recharge your armour. Armour works by giving you an extra health bar essentially, with better armour giving a longer bar. You can use shield batteries to recharge it.
  8. It's polished as shit - seriously, it runs fantastically both on my PS4 and PC (I get 100+ FPS on my 3 year old midrange GPU with the graphics maxed FFS) and it looks great. The movement is great fun, not as freeform as Titanfall but sliding down hills is great fun. There's nothing janky about this game at all.
  9. Theming - kind of like hunger games, this is presented as being an actual tournament of sorts - this means there's big leaderboards throughout the maps showing the current kill leader, announcements when the kill leader or a previous victor dies, and so on. It really adds to the game's character.

That's about all. It's ace. Randoms work together basically by design. You don't even need to talk.

Edited by Duffman

I agree with all the above. It's fantastic and in the space of 3 days I've played it more than any other BR game.

Had my first 2 goes today. Agree with the above above.

It's good.

Most fun in MP in years, it's fucking incredible. Also I've had like 8 wins which helps.

mp_rr_canyonlands_64k_x_64k0008.jpgmp_rr_canyonlands_64k_x_64k0009.jpg

Love seeing my lil portrait in the arena :D

Edited by Duffman

I didn't have as much fun with it today.

I think it might have been down to the group's I was in. No one seemed to work together. Heading in different directions, not pinging items. Not reviving etc. Complete opposite to yesterday.

I got my first win today. Me, Jimmy and a random. We got 3 kills each and we had control of every firefight.

I'm loving the Spitfire as my main heavy. Having someone play as Lifeline is a must not only for healing but for her ultimate. Especially if you give all the accelerators to her you can probably get 3 care packages in a match and you always tend to get good loot from them.

I'm trying to use Wraith  now I've  got a win with Lifeline. Her L1 ability is basically a get out of jail free card if the shit hits the fan. I need to get used to her ultimate though, I've seen other teams use it to completely outflank enemies.

So yeah, fucking excellent and I think I'll drop some money on a season pass when they introduce it as I'd like to see this game stick around.

Pathfinder is my fave, pushing enemy positions is very effective in this game and Pathfinder is the best at it as you can both provide your team with a way in via the zipline and yourself an unexpected attack angle using the grapple. 

Had a quick look at this but wasn't sold. I'll try again later. 

It does have some solid mechanics. The ping gubbins is an excellent one! 

So close to wins 3 times tonight, down to the last 2 squads and got outclassed every time. I got killed by guys with hundreds of kills each time.

It's clear that some people have far too much time on their hands... Still enjoying the game immensely though.

Yeah I find that. Couple of times down to the last 2 squads and the other squad just walk all over me.