Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Duffman

2019 Game Non Completion Thread

This thread is for games you didn't finish in 2019.

Okami HD (Switch) - I was looking forward to a 3D Zelda knockoff, but unfortunately I just can't be bothered to keep going. I'm just... bored. The game is beautiful and the world design is amazing. I've played 25 hours and had a reasonable amount of fun, but I just want it to stop. It's just so hand-holdy. In the 25 hours I've played, at least 10 has been just wanting Issun to shut his fucking mouth. It feels like scarcely any of the game has let me loose with the various powers to figure things out for myself. Instead even 25 hours in, the game insists on telling me what to do at every angle. Puzzles aren't puzzles when you literally tell me the solution the moment I enter a room. 

It's a shame because for the hour or so I was in the moon cave the potential seemed like it was being realised.  I figured as I moved into the second Arc of the game, this would be where the training wheels came off and the game and I'd be let loose. But it just keeps hand holding. There's so much potential for creative use of the powers but the game constantly undermines itself by not trusting the player to figure things out for themselves.

I really wanted to love this game, but... I don't. Having beaten Ninetales, I just don't feel any need to keep going. Especially after being treated to another 15 minutes of painfully slow text boxes immediately afterward. I'd file it alongside Twilight Princess when it comes to games I just didn't get on with. Though I dropped TP a hell of a lot quicker.

20 hours ago, Duffman said:

This thread is for games you didn't finish in 2019.

Okami HD (Switch) - I was looking forward to a 3D Zelda knockoff, but unfortunately I just can't be bothered to keep going. I'm just... bored. The game is beautiful and the world design is amazing. I've played 25 hours and had a reasonable amount of fun, but I just want it to stop. It's just so hand-holdy. In the 25 hours I've played, at least 10 has been just wanting Issun to shut his fucking mouth. It feels like scarcely any of the game has let me loose with the various powers to figure things out for myself. Instead even 25 hours in, the game insists on telling me what to do at every angle. Puzzles aren't puzzles when you literally tell me the solution the moment I enter a room. 

It's a shame because for the hour or so I was in the moon cave the potential seemed like it was being realised.  I figured as I moved into the second Arc of the game, this would be where the training wheels came off and the game and I'd be let loose. But it just keeps hand holding. There's so much potential for creative use of the powers but the game constantly undermines itself by not trusting the player to figure things out for themselves.

I really wanted to love this game, but... I don't. Having beaten Ninetales, I just don't feel any need to keep going. Especially after being treated to another 15 minutes of painfully slow text boxes immediately afterward. I'd file it alongside Twilight Princess when it comes to games I just didn't get on with. Though I dropped TP a hell of a lot quicker.

All good points, but I still bloody love the game. I finished it back in the day on the PS2, and have save on the PS4 that's maybe 20 hours in. It's a chill game that I love going back to occasionally. I also loved Twilight Princess though, so read into that what you will. 

I've finished it on PS2 and PS3, and I'm really tempted to get it again on PC.

It's one of my favourite games, but there's no denying it's really slow to get started, and waaaaay longer than it needs to be.