Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Smurph

2019 Game Completion Thread

Gears of War 5  -  Always enjoy a gears game and this was no different. Not sure if I liked the non-linear bits or not but great action and a storyline I could follow. 

Call of Duty:Modern Warfare(remastered)_Bone- I decided I wanted to go through some of the COD games again after finishing the new one. This is still a great game, it's showing it's age in some ways but bar a few minor frustrations well worth another look. Moving on to Modern Warfare 2 next, which after a conversation with Yussry recently I'm going to attempt on Veteran difficulty. Probably a terrible idea but I'll let you know :)

Mass Effect 3 (Xbox One BC)
DOOM 3 (Switch) Veteran
DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil (Switch) Veteran
DOOM 3: Lost Mission (Switch) Veteran
Half Life 2 (The Orange Box) (Xbox One BC)
Half Life 2 - Episode 1 (The Orange Box) (Xbox One BC)

Great to go back and play these, was inspired after listening to the Dev Game Club podcast where they covered HL1 and started talking a bit about 2 as well.

DOOM 3 (Switch) Veteran
Half Life 2 - Episode 2 (The Orange Box) (Xbox One BC)

Done! This is the third time I've played through these, first in 2007 and again in 2009 - thankfully I did the no shooting in Ep 1 and gnome carrying in Ep 2 last time so these playthroughs were much quicker.

11 hours ago, RetroBob said:

DOOM 3 (Switch) Veteran

Done! This is the third time I've played through these, first in 2007 and again in 2009 - thankfully I did the no shooting in Ep 1 and gnome carrying in Ep 2 last time so these playthroughs were much quicker.

I got the no shooting achievement, but fuck that gnome. Fair play to you!!!

11 hours ago, Ginja said:

I got the no shooting achievement, but fuck that gnome. Fair play to you!!!

The biggest pain in the arse was trying to keep it on that damn car, which seemed to be a slippery surface!

Jedi Fallen Order - PC

Really liked it. It's rough around the edges in a few ways which I think you'd expect from a team doing it's first attempt at UC style platforming, Soulsy combat and so on. But for the most part, it's really nailed it IMO. Fighting is fast and satisfying and the vibe of the whole thing is really Star Wars. It doesn't just look the part by chucking in sights and sounds you recognise, it's just got the tone bang on. Feels like a proper little adventure. I would say that the narrative is a little back loaded though. After a strong opening for a lot of the game the story takes a back seat before the last 2 hours or so really get into it. It comes to a terrific climactic few hours though.

A couple I finished but forgot to post:

The Division 2-PS4- Finally went back to it and finished off all the story missions. Had help from a few people that were fully levelled so it was basically a walk in the park, but tbh I don't think I would have gone through it otherwise. Haven't deleted it from the HDD yet as there's a few things I want to see but I can't see it being a long term commitment.

Horizon:Zero Dawn The Frozen wilds-PS4- 100% completed.  This was an excellent piece of dlc that just outstayed its welcome, mainly due to a particular enemy that can suck my cock. I'm looking forward to the inevitable sequel on the PS5.

Abzu (xbone) - I'm really not down for this sort of game. But it's short and I saw it through. The Mrs said it was like something she used to play on the mega drive (ecco) 

Star wars battlefront 2 (PS4)

Gears of War 3(360) 

Spiderman DLC1 (PS4)

Spiderman (PS4)

Rogue Legacy (PS4/Vita) 

A couple more this week:

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order-Bone- I have so many mixed feelings about this game. The story was good, if a little front and back loaded and it looks great for the most part and totally unfinished in others. The fucking Wookiees looked terrible and they're a major part of the story.

I had issues though, loading, falling through the ground. I don't think the combat was great and some of the traversal was iffy to say the least. I opened up a shortcut rope, I jumped on it and no matter what I did when I got to the top instead of me being put on the platform it bounced me back down. In the first few hours the Star Warsyness(TM) of it allowed me to see past it, but by the end the constant minor niggles became too much for me. It could've been so much better. 6.

Abzu-Bone- I adored this game. Don't listen to Dave. He has no soul. Such a chill game to sit down and experience for a couple of hours. Leaving game pass on Saturday. Get on it.

On 11/28/2019 at 9:32 AM, Ginja said:

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order-Bone- I have so many mixed feelings about this game. The story was good, if a little front and back loaded and it looks great for the most part and totally unfinished in others. The fucking Wookiees looked terrible and they're a major part of the story.

I had issues though, loading, falling through the ground. I don't think the combat was great and some of the traversal was iffy to say the least. I opened up a shortcut rope, I jumped on it and no matter what I did when I got to the top instead of me being put on the platform it bounced me back down. In the first few hours the Star Warsyness(TM) of it allowed me to see past it, but by the end the constant minor niggles became too much for me. It could've been so much better. 6.

I had exactly the same experience. The folks I know that played on PC seemed to have much less of the technical issues, but I was getting hard loads and frame drops and jankiness all over, and that was on a One X with "Performance Mode" set in the game.

There are some fantastic moments in there, but I recommend anyone else waits for a performance patch before trying it.

Titanfall 2 (PC) - 2016 - 4/5
Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PC) - 2017 - 3/5
Resident Evil 2 Remake - Leon A / Claire B (XB1) - 2019 - 4/5
Life is Strange 2: Episode 2 (PS4) - 2019 - 3/5
Anthem (PC) - 2019 - 3/5
Spider-Man DLC: The Heist (PS4) - 3/5
Spider-Man DLC: Turf War (PS4) - 2/5
Outer Wilds (PC) - 2019 - 5/5
Cadence of Hyrule (Switch) - 2019 - 4/5
Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (WiiU) - 2019 - 2/5
Life Is Strange 2: Episode 3 (PS4) - 4/5
Life Is Strange 2: Episode 4 (PS4) - 3/5
Control (XB1) - 2019 - 5/5 - 1000G MUTHAFUCKA
Gears 5 (XB1) - 2019 - 4/5
Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch) - 4/5
Zelda: Links Awakening - 2019 - (Switch) - 4/5

Jedi: Fallen Order (XB1) - 2019 - 2/5

I wanted so much to enjoy this, but I just had endless technical issues, streaming loads happening mid-combat, terrible framerates, and crashes. All of that marred my enjoyment of the combat and traversal, so I just dumped it down to easy to get through it. Overall the story was pretty good, but there was something about the main character's performance that fell completely flat in among so many better performances from the other cast. 

With The Mandalorian out and showing what other parts of the universe are like, I kinda just want to be playing someone that's not a Jedi too...

Pokemon Shield (Switch) - 2019 - 4/5

This was really good fun. If it hadn't been for the awesome Sun / Moon being the last entries, this would be the best Pokemon game I'd played in years. The narrower pokedex meant that there were a lot more interesting and meaningful choices to be made about who I wanted on my team and I found I was changing it up a lot more often. It's set in pretend-UK, there are bagpipes, curries and open world bits. Had a lot of fun with the campaign, and moving some of the post-game and competitive stuff just now.

I'd swap those scores around for my experiences, S/S is probably the weakest Pokemon I've played. The narrower pokedex made no difference to me, it's got roughly the same number of catchable pokemon as any other recent release in the series. The towns look pretty but each one you basically walk in, visit the pokemon center, do the gym, off you go. It's so under developed. I played Jedi on my PC though and it was smooth as hell almost all the way through.

DOOM 3 (Switch) Veteran
Super Mario Land (GameBoy) 337,770

Looking at my list, I've finished this game 6 times since 2007, it's not hard but that's not the point, I love it!

Ghostbusters Remastered - Switch. Bought this in a whim and didn’t regret it. Enjoyed it on PS3 and enjoyed again this time around. Looked very sharp on Switch and it’s everything I want from a movie game ie. feel like your playing a sequel to the films. Recommended if you can find it cheap as I reckon it’s about 8-10 hours worth. 

Life is Strange-Before The Storm-Xbone- It was great to see Rachel and Chloe become a thing but so sad knowing what happens. :( teen angst at its best/worst. Looking forward to playing 2 in the near future.

Titanfall 2 (PC) - 2016 - 4/5
Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PC) - 2017 - 3/5
Resident Evil 2 Remake - Leon A / Claire B (XB1) - 2019 - 4/5
Life is Strange 2: Episode 2 (PS4) - 2019 - 3/5
Anthem (PC) - 2019 - 3/5
Spider-Man DLC: The Heist (PS4) - 3/5
Spider-Man DLC: Turf War (PS4) - 2/5
Outer Wilds (PC) - 2019 - 5/5
Cadence of Hyrule (Switch) - 2019 - 4/5
Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (WiiU) - 2019 - 2/5
Life Is Strange 2: Episode 3 (PS4) - 4/5
Life Is Strange 2: Episode 4 (PS4) - 3/5
Control (XB1) - 2019 - 5/5 - 1000G MUTHAFUCKA
Gears 5 (XB1) - 2019 - 4/5
Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch) - 4/5
Zelda: Links Awakening - 2019 - (Switch) - 4/5
Jedi: Fallen Order (XB1) - 2019 - 2/5
Pokemon Shield (Switch) - 2019 - 4/5

Afterparty (XB1) - 2019 - 3/5

New game by the folks that made Oxenfree, but was quite a bit rougher around the edges. It was decent, but fairly shallow and unsatisfying given how awesome the concept is. Cool art, great voice acting, but just not enough going on.