Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Smurph

2019 Game Completion Thread

Gears of War 4 (Bone)

Still don’t like the robots in the first half of the game, or the horde mechanics added to campaign, but still a really solid game. Gears 5 installed and ready to go tonight.

Titanfall 2 (PC) - 2016 - 4/5
Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PC) - 2017 - 3/5
Resident Evil 2 Remake - Leon A / Claire B (XB1) - 2019 - 4/5
Life is Strange 2: Episode 2 (PS4) - 2019 - 3/5
Anthem (PC) - 2019 - 3/5
Spider-Man DLC: The Heist (PS4) - 3/5
Spider-Man DLC: Turf War (PS4) - 2/5
Outer Wilds (PC) - 2019 - 5/5
Cadence of Hyrule (Switch) - 2019 - 4/5
Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (WiiU) - 2019 - 2/5
Life Is Strange 2: Episode 3 (PS4) - 4/5
Life Is Strange 2: Episode 4 (PS4) - 3/5

Control (XB1) - 2019 - 5/5 - 1000G MUTHAFUCKA

Uh, absolutely entirely my shit. Cool art, great writing, cool combat, lots of secrets to find. 

Anthem (PC) - 2019 - 3/5

Gears 5 (XB1) - 2019 - 4/5

Blew Gears 4 out of the water in every respect imo. Probably the best shooter I've played in a long time, and I loved about 2/3 of the campaign but felt it lost its way a little in some areas.
Multiplayer seems fun, but I haven't had a lot of time to pour into that side of it.

Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch) - 4/5

Super short and simple but nails what it does really well. Super slick electro pop and amazing visuals with some flow-inducing levels and mechanics. A few of the levels do some really neat and unexpected things.

Gears 5 (Bone)

Huge improvement on 4. Act 3 went on a bit too long, but the combat and story were very good. Let down by bugs in places though, including not giving out achievements when it was supposed to.

Had a busy week...

Links Awakening-Switch-Such a charming game, made even better with the extra buttons meaning it's no longer a case of constantly swapping in and out of the menu. Fairly easy overall but I spent longer on Dungeon 7 than I should have done. I just couldn't see how to do it and when I finally figured it I felt stupid. The music is great and it was nice to go back to the old Zelda formula. I'd be happy if they alternate styles, as I'd miss not being able to pit my wits against the dungeons. Even the frame rate issues can't take the shine off this brilliant game.

Gears 5-Bone-  After all my early issues were fixed I really enjoyed this. We did have to drop difficulty to "Normal" in Act 3 though thanks to super accurate unavoidable drop shots. Which made the rest of act 3 and 4 a bit of a walk in the park since we'd got super efficient at flanking etc.

and last but, not least, oh actually it is least...

Gears:Judg(e)ment-360/Bone- I had the afternoon free and was hankering for some Gears action and couldn't wait until the evening. Turns out I was really near the end. It's taken me since April 2013 to scratch this from the backlog. Glad I've done it. I'm going to finish off the Aftermath dlc and probably never play it again. It was okay, I'd have just been happier with it without all the score attack bollocks.

Anthem (PC) - 2019 - 3/5
Gears 5 (XB1) - 2019 - 4/5
Sayonara Wild Hearts (Switch) - 4/5

Zelda: Links Awakening - 2019 - (Switch) - 4/5

This was a weird one... the original was one of the very first games I remember getting DEEPLY engrossed in as a kid, to the point that it's probably responsible (along with Monkey Island) for getting me involved in game design all these years later. So a lot of nostalgia and weird expectations.

It was gorgeous, weird, and really charming, none of that has changed. But, I just sorta blew threw it without any kind of challenge or hiccups, and it's not because I've played it over and over through the years, it's just a breeze. The new quality of life additions were great, but the dungeon builder thing was a big letdown. 

It felt great to play, but kinda inconsequential.

On 10/1/2019 at 4:30 PM, Ginja said:

Gears:Judg(e)ment-360/Bone- I had the afternoon free and was hankering for some Gears action and couldn't wait until the evening. Turns out I was really near the end. It's taken me since April 2013 to scratch this from the backlog. Glad I've done it. I'm going to finish off the Aftermath dlc and probably never play it again. It was okay, I'd have just been happier with it without all the score attack bollocks.

Think Judgement is worth playing through? I never caught it first time round but have it as some sort of bonus thing when I got Gears 4. 

1 minute ago, toneeblair said:

Think Judgement is worth playing through? I never caught it first time round but have it as some sort of bonus thing when I got Gears 4. 

I didn't like it at first but it grew on me. I think it was the control scheme change that threw me at first along with the score attack focus.

It's not particularly long I feel like probably finished it in about 6/7 hours. Also you get to see Paduk back in the day.  So I guess that's a yes. :lol:

DOOM 3 (Switch)

It was a nice suprise to see this arrive on the eShop - have been gradually playing through since it came out. Veteran difficulty was a challenge, had to save frequently to get it done. 

On 10/5/2019 at 10:17 AM, Ginja said:

I didn't like it at first but it grew on me. I think it was the control scheme change that threw me at first along with the score attack focus.

It's not particularly long I feel like probably finished it in about 6/7 hours. Also you get to see Paduk back in the day.  So I guess that's a yes. :lol:

Sweet, I'll give a go!

Zelda: Link’s Awakening (Switch)

Really good fun. Frame rate drops could be a bit annoying but cool art style and music and didn’t outstay it’s welcome.

Mass Effect 3 (Xbox One BC)
DOOM 3 (Switch) Veteran
DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil (Switch) Veteran
DOOM 3: Lost Mission (Switch) Veteran

Well that's all those wrapped up - really enjoyed playing through these games again. I looked back at my full list of completed games going back to 2007, the last time I played ROE was on the original Xbox in 2009, can't believe it's been 10 years!

Also I forgot I finished Mass Effect 3 this year, for some reason I added it to my full list and wrote a post in the ME3 thread,  but didn't post here.

CoD: Modern Warfare (PS4)

About 6 hours to get through the campaign. I didn’t really know what the story was about but an entertaining few hours with a couple of standout levels. The graphics are excellent if that’s your thing.

I was never going to get into the multiplayer so don’t know how that compares, but I liked Spec Ops in MW2 and the version of it in this is piss poor. Just sticking you in one of the large mp maps with an objective marker to ‘do a thing’ at. Nothing of the variety or strategy from MW2. At least I was able to get most of the money back from selling it on. Shame really as I had high hopes for Spec Ops mode to keep me playing it for a while.

Edit: If you want to play this be prepared for multiple downloads. About 75gig initial patch, then a further 3 downloads for all of Spec Ops. Total of 125-ish gigs of storage required!

Edited by El_Patriot

Horizon Zero Dawn_PS4-Platinum. After a multitude of false starts the game finally clicked with me. Not as good as it could have been but still a lot of fun. Will be heading straight into the frozen wilds now I've finished...

Call Of Duty:Modern Warfare-Xbone- Short, sweet, and the usual COD fare. A lot of stand out levels imo, ignore him ^^ ;) very atmospheric at times and a lot more variety than the usual COD campaign. Multiplayer is excellent fun although it could do with more maps already. Haven't tried spec ops yet but apparently it continues the story so I'll give it a go. Also Cross play work a treat I played an hour or so with Idaho the other night and no problems were encountered. I had to go into party chat via my PS4 as who wants to be in a COD lobby?!

Zelda: Links Awakening.  Picked this up randomly as I was away for a few weeks and really got into it and enjoyed every bit. It’s the first top down Zelda I’ve ever played and I’m impressed. Makes me want to try ALTTP but part thinks I might wait for a remake. 

Thomas Was Alone-Bone- Saw this was leaving Game Pass soon so I figured it was a good time to replay this wonderful little game. Smart, Puzzle platformer. Highly recommended.

@Bummers-Play it! Do you have Switch Online it's part of that package. If not buy it for your 3DS and then buy ALBW. They're both great games.

But it's a direct sequel to ALTTP, you probably shouldn't play it before that!!!

You can buy alttp on the 3ds or if you have switch online it's on the snes app.

LttP is only on ‘new’ 3DS. You could also get it on Snes Classic Mini, and possibly Wii U eshop.

Luigi's Mansion 3

Mostly great, lovely animation and lots of fun little puzzles. Some of the bosses were a bit unintuitive though, and the final boss sucks.