Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Smurph

2019 Game Completion Thread

Spider-Man - PS4

Excelsior! Platinumed the main game and will do the DLC after a break but loved it. Such a great game and nailed being Spidey. 

Titanfall 2 (PC) - 2016 - 4/5
Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PC) - 2017 - 3/5
Resident Evil 2 Remake - Leon A / Claire B (XB1) - 2019 - 4/5

Life is Strange 2: Episode 2 (PS4) - 2019 - 3/5

Not enjoying it as much at this point, and took me a few sittings to get through this time. Usually these middle episodes are a bit slower though, so hoping it picks up in next one.

Anthem (PC) - 2019 - 3/5

Played through the initial campaign and found myself veering between giddy enjoyment and skipping through bits as quickly as possible. Overall I really enjoyed it (both the single player story bits and the flying/shooting bits) but it could have been way better if it didn't feel like playing two totally different games tonally and mechanically.

I'm still having fun with the end game stuff, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it gets updated over time. 

Wolfenstein 2 - Not sure if I loved it or thought it was a chore. It’s a great game, but very grey, awesome action but huge difficulty spikes, great story but far too long.   Glad I persevered with it though, been on the slow burn for a long time. 

Shadow of the Tomb Raider-PS4-First completion of the year and it's a banger. Best of the trilogy IMO.  It's so much better because it doesn't rely on the combat, unlike ROTR. There's so much to do, with side missions to find and complete, Crypts to solve, a lot more tombs to raid and treasure to find.  I finished the game with 93% completion and I think I'll get that to 100% over the coming months as I bought the Croft edition which has a new tomb every month and there's 5 more to come so a good reason to go back to it.

Detroit-Become Human-PS4- Usual Cage fair. You either like it or you don't.The whole slavery, inequality, holocaust stuff is a bit like a mallet to the face but I enjoyed the moment to moment character interactions engaging enough to look past it. Well worth the 10 hours or so to play through though. I like the flow charts at the end of the chapters showing what I missed, and I missed loads. Whether I'll go back to it is debatable, I had my story, and although it didn't pan out as I'd hoped right near the end I'm not sure I want to change it.

Spyro the Dragon-PS4-Completed and Platinum! Great game, I didn't realise how close I was to beating it back in the PS1 days...That was the problem of pirated games. Too easy to get new stuff. Anyway,it's  well worth picking up the trilogy if you like 3D platformers.

A Way Out-PS4-Platinum! This was short but sweet, I was a little disappointed in the linearity of it though and it's at it's best before you escape. I was hoping for multiple ways to get out but alas just the one. Great co-op game though.

Crackdown 3-Poc- Great mindless fun. If you liked Crackdown 1 there's something for you here. Glad I didn't drop £40 but if you have game pass or see it cheap. Play it.

Anthem-Poc-So glad I only signed up for a month of Premier to play this as £14.99 is about all it's worth. Had high hopes but they were dashed with technical issues, which included constant crashing, connection to party and even walking through a door that then blocked my team mate even though he was a matter of feet behind me. That and repetitive missions. Maybe it'll pull a Destiny and turn it around but I can't see it right now. I'd have hope if this was a Ubisoft game but as it's EA.... I did have some fun with it as Blair says the flying is fun and the game does have it's moments but it was a rollercoaster of quite high highs but sooooo looooooows. 2/5.

Spiderman (PS4) - yeah it's alright this. Not a spiderman fan so there wasn't much of the license that I could really appreciate but as a game it was not bad at all. 

Rogue Legacy (PS4/Vita)

On 3/2/2019 at 9:14 AM, bigman said:

Spider-Man - PS4

Excelsior! Platinumed the main game and will do the DLC after a break but loved it. Such a great game and nailed being Spidey. 

Mass Effect Andromeda - PS4

Mixed bag this one.  Looks amazing and score at the same time, with some seriously bad pacing, animation,  glitches,  etc but somehow it made me finish it.

Worst  of the 4.

Edited by bigman

Spiderman DLC1 (PS4) - excellent dlc, about 3 hours but a nice condensed spiderman experience! 

Spiderman (PS4)

Rogue Legacy (PS4/Vita)

Titanfall 2 (PC) - 2016 - 4/5
Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PC) - 2017 - 3/5
Resident Evil 2 Remake - Leon A / Claire B (XB1) - 2019 - 4/5
Life is Strange 2: Episode 2 (PS4) - 2019 - 3/5
Anthem (PC) - 2019 - 3/5

Spider-Man DLC: The Heist (PS4) - 3/5
Spider-Man DLC: Turf War (PS4) - 2/5

It's more Spider-Man! Usually I'm all over DLC things for being more focused than the long main campaigns, but this time I'm not quite clicking as much with them. The first part had a bit more of an interesting story and characters, but the second was a lot more generic. 

Not as keen on the new enemy types being introduced, and the second episode was fairly heavy on those elements

Spiderman DLC 1-PS4- That was fun. Great story and nicely sets up the rest.

Batman:Arkham Asylum-Bone-This really holds up bar a few minor frustrations.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider-PS4-First completion of the year and it's a banger. Best of the trilogy IMO.  It's so much better because it doesn't rely on the combat, unlike ROTR. There's so much to do, with side missions to find and complete, Crypts to solve, a lot more tombs to raid and treasure to find.  I finished the game with 93% completion and I think I'll get that to 100% over the coming months as I bought the Croft edition which has a new tomb every month and there's 5 more to come so a good reason to go back to it.

Detroit-Become Human-PS4- Usual Cage fair. You either like it or you don't.The whole slavery, inequality, holocaust stuff is a bit like a mallet to the face but I enjoyed the moment to moment character interactions engaging enough to look past it. Well worth the 10 hours or so to play through though. I like the flow charts at the end of the chapters showing what I missed, and I missed loads. Whether I'll go back to it is debatable, I had my story, and although it didn't pan out as I'd hoped right near the end I'm not sure I want to change it.

Spyro the Dragon-PS4-Completed and Platinum! Great game, I didn't realise how close I was to beating it back in the PS1 days...That was the problem of pirated games. Too easy to get new stuff. Anyway,it's  well worth picking up the trilogy if you like 3D platformers.

A Way Out-PS4-Platinum! This was short but sweet, I was a little disappointed in the linearity of it though and it's at it's best before you escape. I was hoping for multiple ways to get out but alas just the one. Great co-op game though.

Crackdown 3-Poc- Great mindless fun. If you liked Crackdown 1 there's something for you here. Glad I didn't drop £40 but if you have game pass or see it cheap. Play it.

Anthem-Poc-So glad I only signed up for a month of Premier to play this as £14.99 is about all it's worth. Had high hopes but they were dashed with technical issues, which included constant crashing, connection to party and even walking through a door that then blocked my team mate even though he was a matter of feet behind me. That and repetitive missions. Maybe it'll pull a Destiny and turn it around but I can't see it right now. I'd have hope if this was a Ubisoft game but as it's EA.... I did have some fun with it as Blair says the flying is fun and the game does have it's moments but it was a rollercoaster of quite high highs but sooooo looooooows. 2/5.

Metro Exodus (PC)

It was ok. The first thing I'd recommend is not playing on Ranger Hardcore, because it's simply a fucking dreadful experience in many parts. I had to do some config file editing to turn it off half way through the game since it doesn't let you change if you pick it. I wanted it for the mostly HUDless experience since it goes well with this sort of atmospheric shooter. Unfortanately as with the last 2 Metro games, 4A still don't seem to actually get anyone to play the damn thing in this mode themselves. For example: playing this way disables all tutorial prompts. There are so many things which I only knew were systems in the game because I'd played previous ones. Otherwise I imagine someone just seeing their flashlight run out and not even know you can recharge it. Or have to keep looking controls up because the game doesn't bother to tell you. Another thing with this mode is the AI, which is absolute shit of the highest order. They take cover like morons, constantly leaving huge parts of their bodies sticking out for you to blast. Which would be fine, but on the other hand there's roughly a 50/50 chance that one will nail you in one shot with a headshot through a crack in a wooden wall from 50m away at any given time. Some sections are damn near impossible too because in the sections intended for stealth, some enemies will simply spot you from 100m away, through about 5 walls. Others will spot you through the ceiling, or while their backs are turned, and so on. It's garbage.

Finally, it disables quicksaves and lets you only save at base camps or at checkpoints. With the amount of utter bullshit RH mode pulls you'd hope the checkpoint system would be up to scratch. It's not. The game at several points failed to checkpoint for periods of over 20-30 minutes. This included clearing bandit outposts, and entering highly dangerous linear areas. You can save at base camps, but in some parts of the game these are very far apart, and in one part quite hard to even come across. At one point after clearing 5 areas with no checkpoint, I drove back to a base camp only for a scripted ambush to kill me and wipe out 40 minutes of progress.

So yeah, pick Hardcore. You don't die in one shot so much, the game's less obnoxiously stingy with resources, and you don't have to suffer the terribly inconsistent AI and awful checkpoints.

What the game does well is visuals and atmosphere. It's continuously stunning to look at, and probably the best realised environment of this type that I've seen in a game yet. The game's structure kind of alternates open area and linear sequence for the first 2/3 of the game. The open worlds are relatively small but have just enough upgrades and materials around the place to make it worth exploring every corner before moving on. That said, the second of the two open areas was somewhat dull. There's a lot of driving between A and B across empty space. Which was a shame as the first and a subsequent semi-open area were really well paced.

It controls really well and the combat is great fun when it's not being bullshit in ranger hardcore. 

So I had fun with it, but it was probably the weakest of the series for me. It's really just too ambitious a game for what is effectively an indie studio, in my opinion. The open worlds are nice but there's several more linear sequences toward the game's end which really reminded me of the previous games and were really tightly designed. The game's final chapter is as good as anything in the previous games, and it made me think it was a shame that so much of the first half features so much meandering.