Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Smurph

2019 Game Completion Thread

Well I’ll start I guess.

Psyvariar Delta (PS4) Import arrived a couple of days ago, and it’s a shmup so it took 20 minutes to complete but it’s a stonker of a game so I’ve already completed it about 6 more times and many more to come

Titanfall 2 (PC) - 2016 - 4/5

First of the year, and one from the backlog. Apparently I had only ever played the first level of this before, so I missed all the amazing stuff that comes later on. 

As good a shooter campaign as the hype suggests!

I played a bunch of stuff over the break.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - PS4 - About the same as I remembered. I like the single location and smaller scale of it. Compared to the sequels but there's way too much combat and the platforming isn't very well signposted in a lot of places. The character writing is below the standard of the sequels as well.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - PS4 - Much worse than I remembered. I just found it really frustrating in a lot of places. Combat just drags on and on and on in the game's final third, many encounters are badly staged and frustrating slogs to get through. The story, writing and visuals are better and it opens really well, but I remembered this being my favourite of the trilogy and I came away not really liking it any more.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - PS4 - Much better than I remembered. I didn't like this that much when it came out and when I tried replaying it a while ago I got bored a few chapters in. But this time I really enjoyed it. Aside from one or two encounters the combat finally doesn't outstay its welcome, the pacing toward the end is much better and you spend longer than 2 minutes in the big mythical city. On the downside, the story is still a bit shit because they obviously came up with the set pieces first and then a story to link them afterward. 

As a general post game thought on the trilogy, I still don't quite get why they put so much combat in these games. It was never anywhere near as solid a shooter as Gears of War yet like half of Uncharted 2 is just wall to wall shooting. There's not really any interesting enemies, the guns feel fairly weak and many encounters are just set up in a really annoying way.

Spider Man - PS4 - Started before Christmas and finished just after the new year. It was good. Swinging around is great fun, the story is really well done and the open world is fun to do the tasks in, despite the checklisty nature of it. Downsides are that the combat gets a bit silly toward the end and the final act is rushed. And the taskmaster challenges suck.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider-PS4-First completion of the year and it's a banger. Best of the trilogy IMO.  It's so much better because it doesn't rely on the combat, unlike ROTR. There's so much to do, with side missions to find and complete, Crypts to solve, a lot more tombs to raid and treasure to find.  I finished the game with 93% completion and I think I'll get that to 100% over the coming months as I bought the Croft edition which has a new tomb every month and there's 5 more to come so a good reason to go back to it.

I finished Uncharted 4 this weekend and interestingly had some similar feelings at first - I was really enjoying the reduced focus on combat. Bizarrely though there's basically no ramp up as the game goes on. I always thought combat was the weakest part of Uncharted so appreciated the reduction of it, but I ended up wanting more combat. There's barely any, with most chapters feeling like they exist of 20 minutes of climbing, 5-10 minutes of puzzles/walking, and one or two gunfights. The set pieces were great but few and far between. It was bizarre having the final chapter have like, no combat but a bad QTE boss. Weird game, I expected things to start picking up after the halfway point and the pace building, but it just... doesn't. The pleasant change of pace from the others ended up just becoming a bit boring. I'll grab TLL at some point - I've heard it strikes the best balance.

MARIO KART 8 Deluxe - did 200cc gold and 3 stars for all the cups so I’m claiming that as my first completion of the year.  Loving my switch - maybe now I can get into SM Odyssey.