Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jusatsushi

End of an era

Liked the mag as it struck a decent balance between serious articles and taking the piss. Edge was so full of itself I just couldn't get on with it, Games Master I was never a huge fan of and Sega Saturn Magazine for some reason had stopped a long time before.

What killed it for me was that they didn’t get to review games before release anymore. Don’t think it was their fault, the magazines lost their influence due to the internet so publishers didn’t feel the need to take the risk and send their games off for early reviews. 

Last few years I’ve barely read it despite keeping my subscription going for all of these years. Guess I got a full collection now!

I am the same as you Bummers, had a sub since the early days (after getting issue 1) but for the last few years I barely read it for some reason, maybe time or that they didn’t cover games I was interested in. I finally got around to cancelling my sub a few months ago.

i was expecting this for a while, but man, GamesMaster too.

What shufty said. Less pompous than edge but less kiddy than other mags. Great mag, shame the format (print) is dying off. 

I too will have a full collection!

I skim read it every month and then stick it in a pile, never to be touched again.

Both of them going down will save me a fair bit as I subscribed Jaden to Gamesmaster too.

How long before RG goes? That will be more gutting for me.

Shit, just realised I’ve been buying it for 17 years!! 17 years and all I get is an email telling me my subscription is going to be transferred to Edge. The magazine that used to be its competitor that I never liked. Thanks but no thanks!

On 10/24/2018 at 1:12 PM, Ginja said:

I too will have a full collection!

I skim read it every month and then stick it in a pile, never to be touched again.

Both of them going down will save me a fair bit as I subscribed Jaden to Gamesmaster too.

How long before RG goes? That will be more gutting for me.

No numbers but I saw Darren trumpeting Retro Gamer's best year last year, so I don't think RG is going anywhere. There are two things going for Retro Gamer (other than it being a great mag)...

1) The content doesn't age

2) Retro gamers have a propensity towards magazines thanks to growing up with them.

1 hour ago, RetroBob said:

No numbers but I saw Darren trumpeting Retro Gamer's best year last year, so I don't think RG is going anywhere. There are two things going for Retro Gamer (other than it being a great mag)...

1) The content doesn't age

2) Retro gamers have a propencity towards magazines thanks to growing up with them.

Looking back to May of this year, Future were claiming to advertisers via the website the following circulation figures...

RetroGamer: 26,120
GamesMaster: 19,000
GamesTM: 28,928

True to a certain extent Bob, but these are the figures from 5 months ago. A lot of retro gamers, myself included have begun moving to digital downloads for convenience. I know you haven't personally, but it's the way things are going. These days discs are just an unlock key as patches are prevalent in the industry today. Or worse in the case of the Switch half the game on cartridge, half download e.g Doom and LA Noire.

I still like the idea of magazines, but nowadays I don't find the time to sit down and read them cover to cover like I used to even 10 years ago. I

@Bummers I haven't even had that email! I won't be taking them up on the offer that's for sure.

Wow, that's crazy, and Edge only 16K. I have it in my mind that gTM was around the 20K mark so am surprised to see it as the highest of all four!

The final issue is in shops for those who don’t sub.

I don’t really read mags any more unless I have a long train journey. It’s a shame Edge will be the only multi platform mag as it’s so very boring.