Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Papa

Work

Stuff like this has always been and always will be an issue, management don't appreciate the complexity or sensitivity of critical IT equipment and assume any code monkey or the guy that changes printer toner can maintain servers/networks/etc.

Their logic seems to be, you look after the timetabling system so you'll be fine with the VLE. Not appreciating they're wildly different systems and on timetabling I actually got training and support.

I think documentation and handover should be written into contracts, the number of systems I inherited that had single page documentation has been ludicrous and the training consisting of "click here, type that, click run" on the last day that person was employed.

It's true. A lot of the older techy guys like to be known as the one person who knows about 'x' or 'y', and it leads to them being a single point of failure. Writing good documentation is bloody difficult though. I recently automated a lot of the oracle patching using ansible, and writing the supporting stuff about how to stage a new patch and maintain the code was almost as hard as implementing it in the first place. In a perfect world, you would have a person attached to every new project who's sole job is to document and handover to the support teams. 

I've been a fireman for 8 months now. It's a great job and I pick up a few shifts a month as a paramedic which helps with the money situation. I made the right choice as far as I can tell.

I'm trained to use the hose now.

5 hours ago, Mystic said:

I've been a fireman for 8 months now. It's a great job and I pick up a few shifts a month as a paramedic which helps with the money situation. I made the right choice as far as I can tell.

I'm trained to use the hose now.

:D