Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Papa

Work

Can we all agree that work sucks? I am in a good job, with people that I like, but the place I work sucks fucking balls. I have gone for, and been offered a better job at a place that is far cooler, but it is smaller, and probably would ultimately be a bad move for my career.

So, where does work life balance fall for you? If it is a choice, would you be successful, or happy? It seems simple, but I discovered ambition in my late 20s, and it is hard to make a sideways step, after so many steps forward..

It's a tough one. I'm taking to bec about us moving out to Australia when I qualify as we'd pretty much quadrupole our income!

The only thing I can say is that work is what you make it. I've worked places for good money but with a shit team and job. Then others with a great team and shit pay.

If you find the magical balance of work/life/happiness/money then do it

My job's okay. Not overworked but I am being pulled in too many directions so it could easily become overworked. Main aim is to earn a bit more then drop down to three days a week.

Ha, my work life balance is a joke right now. I got back from our sales meeting on Saturday 3rd Feb and realised that when taking my kid swimming the following Saturday that I hadn't left the house all WEEK - had been working past midnight every night. The pay is good but I have to question if it is worth the risk to my health and family.

We are 3 people down on a team of 8 so I am covering accounts are a lot of work. I do enjoy my job but it drives me up the wall on a daily basis.

We want to go on holiday before my wife starts back at work after maternity leave, but I can't see that happening any time soon.

Id take happiness over success all day long. I currently have a job that is rather tedious but not sure what else to do. It pays well for what little I have to do but Im really bored. I can just browse the internet all day.

All that will change in the summer when my partner gets a consultant job in Canterbury, because I will have to leave. We wont even need me to work to pay any bills, so at least Ill have a bit of time to find something I like, or maybe even study something.

Im useless in this convo. My career has been replaced by robots and Im currently physically and mentally unable to work. It fucking sucks. Worst reasons are, I feel so useless, and when Im fit again I have to start a brand new career. At forty-something. I genuinely loved my old job so everything is a step down for me, even if I happened to get a better paying job, I will never be doing what I love. Ahh. Therapy. Thanks Doc, see you next week.

I jacked in a well-paid job 4 years ago to become a Paramedic. Now the ambulance service is getting run into the ground and we're being treated like shit. Which is a shame cause I otherwise love the job.

I jacked in a well-paid job 4 years ago to become a Paramedic. Now the ambulance service is getting run into the ground and we're being treated like shit. Which is a shame cause I otherwise love the job.

I always joke with Gemma that if I completely fuck up in my job, the very worst that will happen is people will not be able to buy hammers. If people in the NHS don’t do their job, people die. I don’t know if I could take that kind of pressure, which is probably why I am better guarding the hammers... ;-)

8 years ago I jacked in the Graphics Design work to go over to Japan for supposedly 11 months. Ended up doing all the amazing stuff over here, and now a world away from where I used to be. The work is long though, and often at times you'd want a holiday. another problem is zero savings with a glass ceiling for pay over here. Unless you actually run the business, working in a small company of sports instructors isn't that profitable it turns out.

I guess what I'm saying is choose happiness over money almost always, but you need some compromise.

Inconveniently though, because I'm planning to move to Canada this year it means I'm going to be unemployed in two weeks and need to find a temporary job...

If Yakuza has taught me anything Ped, it's that beating up street thugs in Japan is a lucrative business. Be sure to buy lots of energy drinks to restore your health.

Lol!

I worked in hospitality for over 20 years and by the time my wife and I left the pub we were running, we were both mentally and physically broken. She was depressed as well as we couldn't have children and I was working myself into the ground. We resigned without work to go to, and then within a month of leaving, both ending up working for the NHS. Within a year, she feel pregnant. We now have less money but are happier and with a beautiful daughter.

Mental.

I manage a steel sales office and have my own little corner where I can pretty much chill and fart around on the internet all day when I have finished whatever needs doing (which sometimes can be very little). There is very occasional travel and that sometimes can be quite short notice which I hate. I had to go to Italy with 2 days notice last year and it was a fucking nightmare putting all that together in that time-frame, but it pays the bills.

It's not the most exciting or rewarding job I've had though I have to say, and I still work with quite a few old school pricks who think work is the most important thing in the world and must be prioritised above everything which is the complete opposite to how I (and normal people) see work.

Sometimes I miss the carefree cheffing and retail work I did in my 20's and early 30's cos when you go home, that's it done. I also even miss the shift work, cos at least most weeks were different, now every day Mon - Fri 9-5 feels like such a dull routine.

It's all a bit Sleight Of Hand if I'm honest (Pearl Jam reference).

Well, I took the new job as they offered an extra £2k over their original offer. Here's hoping this was the right decision...

I hate that before I didn't ever worry about things, now with downturns in advertising I do worry now we have Bert to look after.

I've been offered a job with the Fire Service. I've wanted to be a fireman since my early twenties. But fireman get paid a whole lot less than paramedics. This is a problem.

Plus you never really need to actually put fires out what with all the middle aged women getting so wet at the sight of a fireman

Fire service pension and retirement had been nerfed somewhat but isn't too bad. Wet middle aged women is something that had gone into my pros and cons chart

Me and Lou are trying for a baby this year so the drop in salary (500 quid a month) isn't a great selling point

Just thought I'd post an update. I'm approaching a year at the new place (Ordinance Survey), and it looks like it was a good move. My old work (Kingfisher plc, i.e. B&Q, Screwfix) has gone down the shitter a bit, and on top of their share price price plummeting, they have cancelled a lot of the things that were good about working there. The OS has provided me with a lot of training and opportunity to do my own thing, plus in April I will go onto the on call rota, and essentially pocket an extra couple of grand a year for doing very little. It is very chill though, and I think that will eventually bore me, but I am happy at the moment.  

We've had a round of voluntary redundancies (again) and one of the people leaving looked after the VLE servers. He had 9 months before he left to hand over but because the higher management are fucking idiots they were still giving him new work which meant he couldn't hand anything over effectively.

Then 3 weeks before he's leaving I'm asked to pick up some of this work. They're UNIX servers, I've only done a tiny bit of Linux before and this is one of the most important systems we have at work. He managed to show me some stuff for an afternoon. What could go wrong?

Well, due to a network switch dying in one of the machine rooms and the replacement installation going so badly we lost power to some buildings and the VLE lost some of its servers. We tried to bring them back up but it wasn't working. It was exam week. The VLE is how the students access revision materials and lecture recordings. Kind of a big deal.

Thursday managed to get it sorted (not me, another guy who used to do this and shouldn't have been dragged into it.

The feed had also failed so updates to module access wasn't being processed. It was fixed yesterday (again by guy who shouldn't have been fixing it).

I've learnt a lot in the past couple of weeks but not in any way that it should have been.

This is why before I took this on I demanded in writing they acknowledged the risk they were taking in dumping this shit on me.

I've had better weeks but still, it's not CeX.

Edited by Shufty