Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Smurph

2018 Game Completion Thread

Spoiler

Star Wars Battlefront 2-PS4- Very pretty, and better than expected in places.

The Walking Dead:Michonne-PS4- Usual Telltale stuff. I enjoyed this while it lasted.

Wolfenstein 2:The New Colossus-PS4- This is awesome fun. Batshit mental, some outstanding set pieces and it looks lovely. Slightly too long is the only criticism I could level at it.

The Walking Dead S3 E1-PS4- Starts strong, ends stronger.

The Walking Dead S3 E2-PS4-Can't wait to see where this is going!

Nier:Automata-PS4- Fuck me what a game. It keeps you on your toes throughout the whole game. Changing things up, and turning them on their head. One of the best games I've had the pleasure of playing.
Spoiler
Got the Platinum too
Spoiler
Everybody needs to give this game a go.

Killzone:ShadowFall-PS4-Bland, uninspiring and dull. Not Haze bad, but nearly. I got halfway through and dropped it 4 years ago and wanted a game to finish that was short after devoting 50 hours to Nier. At least it's another from the backlog...

Journey-PS4- Had a couple of hours to spare this morning as I was on call. Still excellent and I'd forgotten most of it since I haven't played it since it was first released on the PS3.

The Walking Dead S3 E3-PS4- Story still gripping, love the flashbacks.

South Park:Stick of Truth-PS4- Funny as fuck, went places I never expected and so many great touches. Such a good game.

L.A. Noire + All DLC cases-PSTRIPLE- Good, but not great. Too many niggles to elevate it to a must play. Glad I went back to it though(6.5 years later...)

WatchDogs 2-PS4- That was really good fun. I intially had some issues with it, but I think that came off the back of finishing WD1 a couple of days before. They'd made enough changes to the button config and the way the game played that I had a hard time adjusting. Fast forward to this year and I've ploughed through this game in a couple of weeks, had awesome fun online with it and got myself the platinum. Highly recommended. I'm looking forward to the announcement of number 3 at E3.

Life is Strange-PS4-Platinum! This was really good. It doesn't really get going until the 2nd episode but after that it's a good story and more interactive than any telltale game. Plus no jank! It's also longer than I expected, which is no bad thing. Hoping the prequel gets on PS+ sooner rather than later.

Commando Arcade SE-Commodore 64!!!- So the original C64 version only had 3 stages instead of the full 8. I was looking at the ZZap 64 annual Kickstarter and noticed a review for this. Someone has gone back and made the game with all the levels. It was always one of my fave games, but I was always jealous of my Speccy friends as that version had the lot. Well suck it Speccy fans we now have the best version and it has the awesome Rob Hubbard music.

RAGE-Scorchers DLC-360-Short but oh so sweet. Quite a variety in the missions considering there's only 5 of them.

Call of Juarez-Gunslinger-360-The 360 was on so I finished this too. A lot of fun until the last level which can go fuck itself.

Far Cry 5-PS4- I had a lot of fun with this and intend to mop up to get the Platinum. The ending was pretty good and very unexpected!

The Walking Dead S3 E4/5-PS4- And done. The story went places I didn't expect/want it to but had a lot of fun with this. Perfect games to play with the wife :) Bring on Season 4.

Super Mario Odyssey-Switch-Fuck me what a fun game, not particularly hard to get through the story but I'm looking forward to the challenge of getting more Moons in the future.

Tekken 7-PS4-Story mode done and finished most of the character stories. Story was the usual Tekken BS but the game is great and it looks lovely.

Yakuza 0-PS4-Fucking amazing game that goes from bat shit mental in the side missions to serious in the main missions. I put in just over 50 hours and enjoyed every minute. Also first completion for nearly 4 months. 4 months. Fuck you Destiny.

Assassins Creed:Syndicate Jack The Ripper dlc-PS4- A really decent piece of content, glad I finally got around to it.

Far Cry5_Hours of Darkness DLC-PS4- 4 Hours of Darkness for me. Jusat must have rushed it. Killed all the AA guns, found all but one lighter and rescued every Motherfucker. Good fun. Have started on the Mars dlc too. So far so good.

Ghost Recon:Wildlands-PS4-Platinum! A game that delighted and frustrated in equal measures. The Unidad enemies were a serious game spoiler with them turning up all the time. Plus several of the areas were controlled by them marred the experience. The rest of it was amazing fun, clearing a massive area of enemies in full on stealth mode only to have it go tits up at the last second when you realise neither of you had taken out the alarm... It took us 108 hours over 11 months!! Highly recommended.

Spoiler

The Walking Dead:Michonne-PS4- Usual Telltale stuff. I enjoyed this while it lasted.

Wolfenstein 2:The New Colossus-PS4- This is awesome fun. Batshit mental, some outstanding set pieces and it looks lovely. Slightly too long is the only criticism I could level at it.

Nier:Automata-PS4- Fuck me what a game. It keeps you on your toes throughout the whole game. Changing things up, and turning them on their head. One of the best games I've had the pleasure of playing.
Spoiler
Got the Platinum too
Spoiler

Killzone:ShadowFall-PS4-Bland, uninspiring and dull. Not Haze bad, but nearly. I got halfway through and dropped it 4 years ago and wanted a game to finish that was short after devoting 50 hours to Nier. At least it's another from the backlog...

Journey-PS4- Had a couple of hours to spare this morning as I was on call. Still excellent and I'd forgotten most of it since I haven't played it since it was first released on the PS3.

South Park:Stick of Truth-PS4- Funny as fuck, went places I never expected and so many great touches. Such a good game.

L.A. Noire + All DLC cases-PSTRIPLE- Good, but not great. Too many niggles to elevate it to a must play. Glad I went back to it though(6.5 years later...)

WatchDogs 2-PS4- That was really good fun. I intially had some issues with it, but I think that came off the back of finishing WD1 a couple of days before. They'd made enough changes to the button config and the way the game played that I had a hard time adjusting. Fast forward to this year and I've ploughed through this game in a couple of weeks, had awesome fun online with it and got myself the platinum. Highly recommended. I'm looking forward to the announcement of number 3 at E3.

Life is Strange-PS4-Platinum! This was really good. It doesn't really get going until the 2nd episode but after that it's a good story and more interactive than any telltale game. Plus no jank! It's also longer than I expected, which is no bad thing. Hoping the prequel gets on PS+ sooner rather than later.

Commando Arcade SE-Commodore 64!!!- So the original C64 version only had 3 stages instead of the full 8. I was looking at the ZZap 64 annual Kickstarter and noticed a review for this. Someone has gone back and made the game with all the levels. It was always one of my fave games, but I was always jealous of my Speccy friends as that version had the lot. Well suck it Speccy fans we now have the best version and it has the awesome Rob Hubbard music.

RAGE-Scorchers DLC-360-Short but oh so sweet. Quite a variety in the missions considering there's only 5 of them.

Call of Juarez-Gunslinger-360-The 360 was on so I finished this too. A lot of fun until the last level which can go fuck itself.

Far Cry 5-PS4- I had a lot of fun with this and intend to mop up to get the Platinum. The ending was pretty good and very unexpected!

The Walking Dead S3 E4/5-PS4- And done. The story went places I didn't expect/want it to but had a lot of fun with this. Perfect games to play with the wife :) Bring on Season 4.

Super Mario Odyssey-Switch-Fuck me what a fun game, not particularly hard to get through the story but I'm looking forward to the challenge of getting more Moons in the future.

Tekken 7-PS4-Story mode done and finished most of the character stories. Story was the usual Tekken BS but the game is great and it looks lovely.

Yakuza 0-PS4-Fucking amazing game that goes from bat shit mental in the side missions to serious in the main missions. I put in just over 50 hours and enjoyed every minute. Also first completion for nearly 4 months. 4 months. Fuck you Destiny.

Assassins Creed:Syndicate Jack The Ripper dlc-PS4- A really decent piece of content, glad I finally got around to it.

Far Cry5_Hours of Darkness DLC-PS4- 4 Hours of Darkness for me. Jusat must have rushed it. Killed all the AA guns, found all but one lighter and rescued every Motherfucker. Good fun. Have started on the Mars dlc too. So far so good.

Ghost Recon:Wildlands-PS4-Platinum! A game that delighted and frustrated in equal measures. The Unidad enemies were a serious game spoiler with them turning up all the time. Plus several of the areas were controlled by them marred the experience. The rest of it was amazing fun, clearing a massive area of enemies in full on stealth mode only to have it go tits up at the last second when you realise neither of you had taken out the alarm... It took us 108 hours over 11 months!! Highly recommended.

Far Cry 5_Mars DLC-PS4-A lot of fun. I was going to just mainline this as when I got back to it I wasn't  feeling it but I ended up doing everything except finding all the documents.

Spoiler

Spoiler
Got the Platinum too
Spoiler

Far Cry 5_Mars DLC-PS4-A lot of fun. I was going to just mainline this as when I got back to it I wasn't  feeling it but I ended up doing everything except finding all the documents.

Far Cry 5_Zombie DLC-PS4- Well this one is a massive change of pace. It's split up into 7 vignettes, each one a movie pitch by a character you come across in the main game.  Each level changes as he talks and the pitches get wilder. They're linear and only about 10-15 minutes long at most, but they're built for replaying as there's a score attack mode.  There was only one I didn't enjoy. I don't normally do season passes but overall quality is high and I still have FC3 to finish, but that can wait.

Can someone else finish something? ;)

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

Shaq-Fu A Legend Reborn (Switch)

Shantae: Half Genie Hero (Switch)

Mass Effect (360)

So I started playing this after watching the Alex and Vinny from Giantbomb play it and was reminded how awesome this is. I had forgotten how epic this series is, for me the stand out story moments for me are the Sovereign reveal on Virmire (my god that voice) and talking with Vigil on Ilos.

I played on an Xbox One X so it's nicely upscaled but there's great mode for the PC too of course.

Destiny 2: Forsaken (PS4)

Finished the raid so I’m considering this complete. Probably the best Destiny has been since the Taken King expansion. Having random rolls on weapons, a list of in game triumphs (basically in game achievements) and a good endgame area have really sucked me back in. The last 2 expansions were underwhelming but this is great.

I think it’s really cheap right now in Black Friday deals, so now would be a good time to pick it up. Can’t wait for the next expansion in a couple of weeks.

Been a while, but finally managed to save the world again in:

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - PC. This was sensational. Just a perfect re imagining of those Snes Psone JRPG glory days with sensational visuals. Even a typical cliched plot couldn't ruin this. It was glorious.

Oh and I also managed to finish a little game called:

Red Dead Redemption 2 - PS4. Another game I run out of superlatives for. I have to admit it was a slow burn, and there were times in the first dozen or so hours when it felt a bit aimless and not as tight as RDR1, but man, by the end (the END end) I'm ready to put this in GOAT lists. It was that good. Rockstar  have surpassed even themselves.

Life is Strange 2 - Ep 1 - PC.

Into the Breach - PC

Dead Rising 3 - PC

Resident Evil 5 - PC

Far Cry 5 - Living Dead Zombies - PC

Far Cry 5 - Hours of Darkness - PC

Quantum Break - PC

Alan Wake - PC

We Happy Few - PC

Detroit: Become Human - PS4

Far Cry 3 Classic - PS4

The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit - PS4

State of Decay 2 - Xbox One

God of War - PS4

Beyond: Two Souls - PS4

Far Cry 5 - PC

Silent Hill: Downpour - Xbox One

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - PC

Zombi - PS4

Shadow of the Colossus - PS4

Resident Evil 7 - PC

Assassin's Creed Origins - PS4

Bloodborne (PS4) - It's Souls, but hyper geared toward the sort of high mobilty melee builds I've always played in souls, minus the crutch of having a shield to tank a hit if you mistime a dodge. It's different, but not all that different. You'll still take the same approach to getting through the game as you would another Souls game. The focus on one type of build is welcome most of the time but on the other hand, it can feel a bit samey at times. Most bosses revolve around picking a direction to dodge/circle them in and stab them between attack patterns.

It's a great world with some really awesome design going on. The interconnectedness of the earliest areas evokes the original Dark Souls, which I felt had been lost in DS 2 and 3. 

The game opens quite hard, I hadn't played a Souls for a while so was a little rusty. It did feel that as with most Souls games there was a downward difficulty curve, with the earliest areas and bosses being the toughest and becoming a bit of a pushover toward the end. It made a number of the bosses a little disappointing as they looked threatening but in the end went down a little easily. The DLC helped in that regard though as it was by far the toughest content in the game.

The biggest issue with the game is the camera, which struggles to keep up with a lot of boss fights (Laurence, Darkbeast Paarl, Logarius being chief culprits), and how easy it is to get stuck on the scenery in busy moments. It's half the reason Gascoigne is so difficult, you get stuck on shit all the time.

I think I did every non-chalice boss, so I'll probably come back for NG+ at some point to do the rest and maybe grab the platinum.

Edited by Duffman

13 hours ago, Duffman said:

Bloodborne (PS4) - This game was too easy...

Nice one mate. I want to like this game but I get too frustrated!

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Switch)

Just did the story, and it is a fun little game. Pretty much XCom in the Mario universe. Really enjoyed this one, and tempted by the dlc but doubt I’d get round to it. I even found some of the jokes amusing. If you have a Switch and like tactical games, get this. It’s fairly cheap everywhere now, too.

Spoiler

Assassins Creed: Origins (PS4) - 2017 - 4/5
Assassins Creed: Origins: The Hidden Ones DLC (PS4) - 2017 - 4/5
Mario Odyssey (Switch) - 2017 - 4/5
Pokemon: Ultra Sun (3DS) - 2017 - 4/5
Shadow of the Colossus - Remastered (PS4) - 2/5
The Secret of Monkey Island - Remastered (PC) - 4/5
Pokemon Black - DS - 2010 - 3/5
Tacoma - PC - 2017 - 3/5
Ni No Kuni 2 (PS4) - 2018 - Platinum - 2/5 or 4/5
God of War (PS4) - 2018 - 5/5
Florence (Mobile) - 2018 - 3/5
Hidden Agenda (PS4) - 2017 - 3/5
The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit (PS4) - 2018 - 3/5
Assassins Creed: Origins: Curse of the Pharaohs DLC (PS4) - 2018 - 4/5
Yakuza 0 (PS4) - 2017 - 3/5
Spider-man (PS4) - 2018 - 5/5
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4) - 2018 - 3/5
Life Is Strange 2: Episode 1 (PS4) - 2018 - 4/5
Forza Horizon 4 (XB1) - 2018 - 5/5

Halo 5 (XB1) - 2015 - 3/5 (Co-Op)
Played through this with my brother across the water and it didn't quite hit the high notes of what I remember of Halo 3. There was a lot of dead space, and empty feeling encounters, which took the wind out of the epic space adventure feeling. The plot was absolutely garbage, as well, but there were enough stand out levels and co-op shenanigans that it was worth playing through.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
Shaq-Fu A Legend Reborn (Switch)
Shantae: Half Genie Hero (Switch)
Mass Effect (360)
Mass Effect 2 (360)

So I cannot stop playing Mass Effect! On to 3.

Spoiler

Spoiler
Got the Platinum too
Spoiler

Far Cry 5_Zombie DLC-PS4- Well this one is a massive change of pace. It's split up into 7 vignettes, each one a movie pitch by a character you come across in the main game.  Each level changes as he talks and the pitches get wilder. They're linear and only about 10-15 minutes long at most, but they're built for replaying as there's a score attack mode.  There was only one I didn't enjoy. I don't normally do season passes but overall quality is high and I still have FC3 to finish, but that can wait. 

Spiderman-PS4-Platinum.GOTY! This game is fucking amazing. It looks great, the story is great, it sounds great. It's great. Best Superhero game ever. Yes even better then Superman 64! If I have one complaint  it's that there's too many crimes. It's not an issue if you're not trophy whoring but they're all very samey. You need this game in your life.

6 hours ago, Ginja said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spiderman-PS4-Platinum.GOTY! This game is fucking amazing. It looks great, the story is great, it sounds great. It's great. Best Superhero game ever. Yes even better then Superman 64! If I have one complaint  it's that there's too many crimes. It's not an issue if you're not trophy whoring but they're all very samey. You need this game in your life.

Absolutely LOVED that game. I didn't seem to care about the actual side content bits being very repetitive because swinging between them was so much fun.

On 12/5/2018 at 1:57 AM, Somerset_Bumkin said:

‘‘Twas disappointing. I put it at 2/5 because it was so generic. I can see why playing co-op would make it a bit more fun. 

Yeah, I guess since the original Halo trilogy came out the whole sci-fi shooter genre exploded and everything new or exciting got eaten up pretty fast. Everything felt very surface level about the campaign.