Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Smurph

2018 Game Completion Thread

On 9/21/2018 at 5:41 PM, Ginja said:

Yeah I think he did. Sent him a message earlier but he hasn't replied. If he did hope you find a new job soon Bud!

You did? Where was that? Don't think I got a notification.
But yeah, I was at Capcom for the last few years working on the new thing.

Been a crazy week, lots of job fairs but not a ton of design roles right now, unless I can relocate (which comes with its own set of problems) or wait months (which is dicey). 

Some really cool projects to work on at the moment though, so crossing my fingers I can land on one of those.

17 minutes ago, toneeblair said:

You did? Where was that? Don't think I got a notification.
But yeah, I was at Capcom for the last few years working on the new thing.

Been a crazy week, lots of job fairs but not a ton of design roles right now, unless I can relocate (which comes with its own set of problems) or wait months (which is dicey). 

Some really cool projects to work on at the moment though, so crossing my fingers I can land on one of those.

PSN. You were playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider and obviously too busy using photo mode and taking saucy pics of Lara to reply.

6 hours ago, Ginja said:

PSN. You were playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider and obviously too busy using photo mode and taking saucy pics of Lara to reply.

It was research! 

:A007:

Fallout 4 - Xbox

Got lvl 50 at the same time

Spoiler

Assassins Creed: Origins (PS4) - 2017 - 4/5
Assassins Creed: Origins: The Hidden Ones DLC (PS4) - 2017 - 4/5
Mario Odyssey (Switch) - 2017 - 4/5
Pokemon: Ultra Sun (3DS) - 2017 - 4/5
Shadow of the Colossus - Remastered (PS4) - 2/5
The Secret of Monkey Island - Remastered (PC) - 4/5
Pokemon Black - DS - 2010 - 3/5
Tacoma - PC - 2017 - 3/5
Ni No Kuni 2 (PS4) - 2018 - Platinum - 2/5 or 4/5
God of War (PS4) - 2018 - 5/5
Florence (Mobile) - 2018 - 3/5
Hidden Agenda (PS4) - 2017 - 3/5
The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit (PS4) - 2018 - 3/5
Assassins Creed: Origins: Curse of the Pharaohs DLC (PS4) - 2018 - 4/5
Yakuza 0 (PS4) - 2017 - 3/5
Spider-man (PS4) - 2018 - 5/5

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4) - 2018 - 3/5
I don't know if it was coming off the back of Spider-man that did it, something else in the game or just the wrong tone/mood for post lay-off gaming, but this didn't click for me.

As a whole, the experience didn't seem to cohere all that well - there were mechanics and tools introduced that seemed to have maybe one or two uses in the entire campaign; Lara's voice actor and performance really grated for me in a way that it never did in the original reboot; the plot seemed to barely keep itself together. 

I haven't played Rise yet, so I'm not sure if I'd feel the same way about that game, but beyond being beautiful to look at, this just didn't cut it.

Rise was a step back from the reboot I felt. Sounds like this is more of the same. I will buy it as I enjoy them all the same, but I don’t think it’s a full price purchase.  That’s probably not fair though as I smashed a lot of hours in Rise despite it not being as coherent as the first. 

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't great and felt oddly lesser than what I remember of the original reboot. I still played it a ton :)

Spoiler

Tacoma - PC - 2017 - 3/5

Life Is Strange 2: Episode 1 (PS4) - 2018 - 4/5
Super promising start to the new season and new characters are all great. Goes from about 0-dark super quick, and it's going to be interesting to see where it goes.

There's not a great deal of new mechanics in this episode - there's a fairly light sketching mini-game which seems more about character than any kind of skill-based stuff; some interesting interactions where you can optionally do things yourself or involve your brother; some improved UI.

Life is Strange 2 - Ep 1 - PC. A great opener, but man that went to some dark places. Itching for the next installment though.

Into the Breach - PC

Dead Rising 3 - PC

Resident Evil 5 - PC

Far Cry 5 - Living Dead Zombies - PC

Far Cry 5 - Hours of Darkness - PC

Quantum Break - PC

Alan Wake - PC

We Happy Few - PC

Detroit: Become Human - PS4

Far Cry 3 Classic - PS4

The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit - PS4

State of Decay 2 - Xbox One

God of War - PS4

Beyond: Two Souls - PS4

Far Cry 5 - PC

Silent Hill: Downpour - Xbox One

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - PC

Zombi - PS4

Shadow of the Colossus - PS4

Resident Evil 7 - PC

Assassin's Creed Origins - PS4

Gears of War 4 (XboneX) - played it through again as it was supposed to be awesome in 4K HDR. And it was absolutely stunning l, still a great game too. You don’t need an XboneX but it’s like you don’t need a 1080Ti, it’s just awesome playing everything in max settings, best way I can describe the X, medium setttings vs max. 

I played it in 4K, but you have the option of playing full 1080p in 60fps HDR. That was cool too as it was so fluid and probs the best mode for multi. I preferred the 4K though for the campaign. 

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
Shaq-Fu A Legend Reborn (Switch)
Shantae: Half Genie Hero (Switch) 100%

Man I really enjoyed playing through this... it's just pretty simple platforming FUN, loads of character and awesome music. Some back tracking but not to the point of being annoying (I hate Metroidvania style).

Thank you to Smurph for showing me this a couple of years back!

Metal Slug 1 (PS4) 

Metal Slug X (PS4)

Metal Slug 5 (PS4)

Raiden V (PS4)

Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)

Minit (PS4)

Final Fantasy VII (PS4)

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PS4)

Destiny 2 (PS4)

Xeodrifter (PS4) 

South Park: The Fractured But Whole (PS4)

Three Wonders: Chariot (PSP)

Forgotten Worlds (PSP)

Darius Burst (PSP)

Hue (PS4)

Edited by Smurph

Spoiler

Star Wars Battlefront 2-PS4- Very pretty, and better than expected in places.

The Walking Dead:Michonne-PS4- Usual Telltale stuff. I enjoyed this while it lasted.

Wolfenstein 2:The New Colossus-PS4- This is awesome fun. Batshit mental, some outstanding set pieces and it looks lovely. Slightly too long is the only criticism I could level at it.

The Walking Dead S3 E1-PS4- Starts strong, ends stronger.

The Walking Dead S3 E2-PS4-Can't wait to see where this is going!

Nier:Automata-PS4- Fuck me what a game. It keeps you on your toes throughout the whole game. Changing things up, and turning them on their head. One of the best games I've had the pleasure of playing.
Spoiler
Got the Platinum too
Spoiler
Everybody needs to give this game a go.

Killzone:ShadowFall-PS4-Bland, uninspiring and dull. Not Haze bad, but nearly. I got halfway through and dropped it 4 years ago and wanted a game to finish that was short after devoting 50 hours to Nier. At least it's another from the backlog...

Journey-PS4- Had a couple of hours to spare this morning as I was on call. Still excellent and I'd forgotten most of it since I haven't played it since it was first released on the PS3.

The Walking Dead S3 E3-PS4- Story still gripping, love the flashbacks.

South Park:Stick of Truth-PS4- Funny as fuck, went places I never expected and so many great touches. Such a good game.

L.A. Noire + All DLC cases-PSTRIPLE- Good, but not great. Too many niggles to elevate it to a must play. Glad I went back to it though(6.5 years later...)

WatchDogs 2-PS4- That was really good fun. I intially had some issues with it, but I think that came off the back of finishing WD1 a couple of days before. They'd made enough changes to the button config and the way the game played that I had a hard time adjusting. Fast forward to this year and I've ploughed through this game in a couple of weeks, had awesome fun online with it and got myself the platinum. Highly recommended. I'm looking forward to the announcement of number 3 at E3.

Life is Strange-PS4-Platinum! This was really good. It doesn't really get going until the 2nd episode but after that it's a good story and more interactive than any telltale game. Plus no jank! It's also longer than I expected, which is no bad thing. Hoping the prequel gets on PS+ sooner rather than later.

Commando Arcade SE-Commodore 64!!!- So the original C64 version only had 3 stages instead of the full 8. I was looking at the ZZap 64 annual Kickstarter and noticed a review for this. Someone has gone back and made the game with all the levels. It was always one of my fave games, but I was always jealous of my Speccy friends as that version had the lot. Well suck it Speccy fans we now have the best version and it has the awesome Rob Hubbard music.

RAGE-Scorchers DLC-360-Short but oh so sweet. Quite a variety in the missions considering there's only 5 of them.

Call of Juarez-Gunslinger-360-The 360 was on so I finished this too. A lot of fun until the last level which can go fuck itself.

Far Cry 5-PS4- I had a lot of fun with this and intend to mop up to get the Platinum. The ending was pretty good and very unexpected!

The Walking Dead S3 E4/5-PS4- And done. The story went places I didn't expect/want it to but had a lot of fun with this. Perfect games to play with the wife :) Bring on Season 4.

Super Mario Odyssey-Switch-Fuck me what a fun game, not particularly hard to get through the story but I'm looking forward to the challenge of getting more Moons in the future.

Tekken 7-PS4-Story mode done and finished most of the character stories. Story was the usual Tekken BS but the game is great and it looks lovely.

Yakuza 0-PS4-Fucking amazing game that goes from bat shit mental in the side missions to serious in the main missions. I put in just over 50 hours and enjoyed every minute. Also first completion for nearly 4 months. 4 months. Fuck you Destiny.

6 hours ago, Shufty said:

Yakuza Kiwami is free on PS+ this month.

Already have it...Not going straight into Kiwami though, need a break from all the wacky!

Spoiler

The Walking Dead:Michonne-PS4- Usual Telltale stuff. I enjoyed this while it lasted.

Wolfenstein 2:The New Colossus-PS4- This is awesome fun. Batshit mental, some outstanding set pieces and it looks lovely. Slightly too long is the only criticism I could level at it.

Nier:Automata-PS4- Fuck me what a game. It keeps you on your toes throughout the whole game. Changing things up, and turning them on their head. One of the best games I've had the pleasure of playing.
Spoiler
Got the Platinum too
Spoiler

Killzone:ShadowFall-PS4-Bland, uninspiring and dull. Not Haze bad, but nearly. I got halfway through and dropped it 4 years ago and wanted a game to finish that was short after devoting 50 hours to Nier. At least it's another from the backlog...

Journey-PS4- Had a couple of hours to spare this morning as I was on call. Still excellent and I'd forgotten most of it since I haven't played it since it was first released on the PS3.

South Park:Stick of Truth-PS4- Funny as fuck, went places I never expected and so many great touches. Such a good game.

L.A. Noire + All DLC cases-PSTRIPLE- Good, but not great. Too many niggles to elevate it to a must play. Glad I went back to it though(6.5 years later...)

WatchDogs 2-PS4- That was really good fun. I intially had some issues with it, but I think that came off the back of finishing WD1 a couple of days before. They'd made enough changes to the button config and the way the game played that I had a hard time adjusting. Fast forward to this year and I've ploughed through this game in a couple of weeks, had awesome fun online with it and got myself the platinum. Highly recommended. I'm looking forward to the announcement of number 3 at E3.

Life is Strange-PS4-Platinum! This was really good. It doesn't really get going until the 2nd episode but after that it's a good story and more interactive than any telltale game. Plus no jank! It's also longer than I expected, which is no bad thing. Hoping the prequel gets on PS+ sooner rather than later.

Commando Arcade SE-Commodore 64!!!- So the original C64 version only had 3 stages instead of the full 8. I was looking at the ZZap 64 annual Kickstarter and noticed a review for this. Someone has gone back and made the game with all the levels. It was always one of my fave games, but I was always jealous of my Speccy friends as that version had the lot. Well suck it Speccy fans we now have the best version and it has the awesome Rob Hubbard music.

RAGE-Scorchers DLC-360-Short but oh so sweet. Quite a variety in the missions considering there's only 5 of them.

Call of Juarez-Gunslinger-360-The 360 was on so I finished this too. A lot of fun until the last level which can go fuck itself.

Far Cry 5-PS4- I had a lot of fun with this and intend to mop up to get the Platinum. The ending was pretty good and very unexpected!

The Walking Dead S3 E4/5-PS4- And done. The story went places I didn't expect/want it to but had a lot of fun with this. Perfect games to play with the wife :) Bring on Season 4.

Super Mario Odyssey-Switch-Fuck me what a fun game, not particularly hard to get through the story but I'm looking forward to the challenge of getting more Moons in the future.

Tekken 7-PS4-Story mode done and finished most of the character stories. Story was the usual Tekken BS but the game is great and it looks lovely.

Yakuza 0-PS4-Fucking amazing game that goes from bat shit mental in the side missions to serious in the main missions. I put in just over 50 hours and enjoyed every minute. Also first completion for nearly 4 months. 4 months. Fuck you Destiny.

Assassins Creed:Syndicate Jack The Ripper dlc-PS4- A really decent piece of content, glad I finally got around to it.

Spoiler

Tacoma - PC - 2017 - 3/5
Life Is Strange 2: Episode 1 (PS4) - 2018 - 4/5

Forza Horizon 4 (XB1) - 2018 - 5/5
Not sure this technically has an end, but I've played through the "campaign" and unlocked the rolling online events, and played through a bunch of those too so I'm calling it done.

I'm not usually a fan of racing games, but this came up in the Game Pass and I thought I'd give it a go - I'm glad I did! It lands in just the sweet spot between arcadey + sim for me, and the events were nice and varied too. I get so bored of circuit racing games, so to be able to explore a chunk of British countryside and bomb around Edinburgh was just what I was looking for.

Spoiler

Spoiler
Got the Platinum too
Spoiler

Assassins Creed:Syndicate Jack The Ripper dlc-PS4- A really decent piece of content, glad I finally got around to it.

Far Cry5_Hours of Darkness DLC-PS4- 4 Hours of Darkness for me. Jusat must have rushed it. ;) Killed all the AA guns, found all but one lighter and rescued every Motherfucker. Good fun. Have started on the Mars dlc too. So far so good.

Metal Slug 1 (PS4) 

Metal Slug X (PS4)

Metal Slug 5 (PS4)

Raiden V (PS4)

Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)

Minit (PS4)

Final Fantasy VII (PS4)

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PS4)

Destiny 2 (PS4)

Xeodrifter (PS4) 

South Park: The Fractured But Whole (PS4)

Three Wonders: Chariot (PSP)

Forgotten Worlds (PSP)

Darius Burst (PSP)

Deadly Tower of Monsters (PS4) A bit janky but fun, and works with the style of the game. Saved it ages ago when it was free on psn, finally got round to it, pleasantly surprised.