Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Smurph

2018 Game Completion Thread

Star Wars Battlefront 2-PS4- Very pretty, and better than expected in places.

The Walking Dead:Michonne-PS4- Usual Telltale stuff. I enjoyed this while it lasted.

Wolfenstein 2:The New Colossus-PS4- This is awesome fun. Batshit mental, some outstanding set pieces and it looks lovely. Slightly too long is the only criticism I could level at it.

The Walking Dead S3 E1-PS4- Starts strong, ends stronger.

The Walking Dead S3 E2-PS4-Can't wait to see where this is going!

Nier:Automata-PS4- Fuck me what a game. It keeps you on your toes throughout the whole game. Changing things up, and turning them on their head. One of the best games I've had the pleasure of playing.
Spoiler
Got the Platinum too
Spoiler
Everybody needs to give this game a go.

Killzone:ShadowFall-PS4-Bland, uninspiring and dull. Not Haze bad, but nearly. I got halfway through and dropped it 4 years ago and wanted a game to finish that was short after devoting 50 hours to Nier. At least it's another from the backlog...

Journey-PS4- Had a couple of hours to spare this morning as I was on call. Still excellent and I'd forgotten most of it since I haven't played it since it was first released on the PS3.

The Walking Dead S3 E3-PS4- Story still gripping, love the flashbacks.

South Park:Stick of Truth-PS4- Funny as fuck, went places I never expected and so many great touches. Such a good game.

L.A. Noire + All DLC cases-PSTRIPLE- Good, but not great. Too many niggles to elevate it to a must play. Glad I went back to it though(6.5 years later...)

WatchDogs 2-PS4- That was really good fun. I intially had some issues with it, but I think that came off the back of finishing WD1 a couple of days before. They'd made enough changes to the button config and the way the game played that I had a hard time adjusting. Fast forward to this year and I've ploughed through this game in a couple of weeks, had awesome fun online with it and got myself the platinum. Highly recommended. I'm looking forward to the announcement of number 3 at E3.

Life is Strange-PS4-Platinum! This was really good. It doesn't really get going until the 2nd episode but after that it's a good story and more interactive than any telltale game. Plus no jank! It's also longer than I expected, which is no bad thing. Hoping the prequel gets on PS+ sooner rather than later.

Commando Arcade SE-Commodore 64!!!- So the original C64 version only had 3 stages instead of the full 8. I was looking at the ZZap 64 annual Kickstarter and noticed a review for this. Someone has gone back and made the game with all the levels. It was always one of my fave games, but I was always jealous of my Speccy friends as that version had the lot. Well suck it Speccy fans we now have the best version and it has the awesome Rob Hubbard music.

RAGE-Scorchers DLC-360-Short but oh so sweet. Quite a variety in the missions considering there's only 5 of them.

Call of Juarez-Gunslinger-360-The 360 was on so I finished this too. A lot of fun until the last level which can go fuck itself.

Assassins Creed: Origins (PS4) - 2017 - 4/5
Assassins Creed: Origins: The Hidden Ones DLC (PS4) - 2017 - 4/5

Mario Odyssey (Switch) - 2017 - 4/5

Pokemon: Ultra Sun (3DS) - 2017 - 4/5

Shadow of the Colossus - Remastered (PS4) - 2/5

The Secret of Monkey Island - Remastered (PC) - 4/5

Pokemon Black - DS - 2010 - 3/5

Tacoma - PC - 2017 - 3/5

Ni No Kuni 2 (PS4) - 2018 - Platinum - 2/5 or 4/5

God of War (PS4) - 2018 - 5/5

I was never much of a fan of the original series, something about it just never clicked with me, so I was hesitant about this one too. The reviews before release convinced me to try it out and boy - BOY! - it was worth it.

I went in almost completely clueless to it, so the story was a surprise and really thrilling, and the combat felt SO FUCKING GOOD.

Still mopping up some optional bosses and stuff, going for the platinum on this one.

The Walking Dead:Michonne-PS4- Usual Telltale stuff. I enjoyed this while it lasted.

Wolfenstein 2:The New Colossus-PS4- This is awesome fun. Batshit mental, some outstanding set pieces and it looks lovely. Slightly too long is the only criticism I could level at it.

Nier:Automata-PS4- Fuck me what a game. It keeps you on your toes throughout the whole game. Changing things up, and turning them on their head. One of the best games I've had the pleasure of playing.
Spoiler
Got the Platinum too
Spoiler

Killzone:ShadowFall-PS4-Bland, uninspiring and dull. Not Haze bad, but nearly. I got halfway through and dropped it 4 years ago and wanted a game to finish that was short after devoting 50 hours to Nier. At least it's another from the backlog...

Journey-PS4- Had a couple of hours to spare this morning as I was on call. Still excellent and I'd forgotten most of it since I haven't played it since it was first released on the PS3.

South Park:Stick of Truth-PS4- Funny as fuck, went places I never expected and so many great touches. Such a good game.

L.A. Noire + All DLC cases-PSTRIPLE- Good, but not great. Too many niggles to elevate it to a must play. Glad I went back to it though(6.5 years later...)

WatchDogs 2-PS4- That was really good fun. I intially had some issues with it, but I think that came off the back of finishing WD1 a couple of days before. They'd made enough changes to the button config and the way the game played that I had a hard time adjusting. Fast forward to this year and I've ploughed through this game in a couple of weeks, had awesome fun online with it and got myself the platinum. Highly recommended. I'm looking forward to the announcement of number 3 at E3.

Life is Strange-PS4-Platinum! This was really good. It doesn't really get going until the 2nd episode but after that it's a good story and more interactive than any telltale game. Plus no jank! It's also longer than I expected, which is no bad thing. Hoping the prequel gets on PS+ sooner rather than later.

Commando Arcade SE-Commodore 64!!!- So the original C64 version only had 3 stages instead of the full 8. I was looking at the ZZap 64 annual Kickstarter and noticed a review for this. Someone has gone back and made the game with all the levels. It was always one of my fave games, but I was always jealous of my Speccy friends as that version had the lot. Well suck it Speccy fans we now have the best version and it has the awesome Rob Hubbard music.

RAGE-Scorchers DLC-360-Short but oh so sweet. Quite a variety in the missions considering there's only 5 of them.

Call of Juarez-Gunslinger-360-The 360 was on so I finished this too. A lot of fun until the last level which can go fuck itself.

Far Cry 5-PS4- I had a lot of fun with this and intend to mop up to get the Platinum. The ending was pretty good and very unexpected!

LA Noire (Switch): Fun to revisit. Story holds up, even if the framerate doesn't (very chuggy in places and it twice crashed completely). It definitely works better with good cop/bad cop/accuse options rather than truth/doubt/lie, and just oozes 40s atmosphere. The voice acting is...lumpy...but the face animation is still outstanding.

Tacoma - PC - 2017 - 3/5

Florence (Mobile) - 2018 - 3/5
Played this on the plane recently - just a short 45 minute game telling the story of a 20-something relationship through some interesting mechanics and zero dialogue.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (PS4) - Been chipping away at this about half an hour at a time and realised I got to the final boss so thought I'd get it done when I should be doing uni work! It's more of the same from the other game which is not a terrible thing. Took about 7-8 hours which is what I can cope with right now. Still. Enjoyable and a series I'll most likely follow on with.

Destiny 2: osiris dlc

Spoiler
Got the Platinum too
Spoiler

Far Cry 5-PS4- I had a lot of fun with this and intend to mop up to get the Platinum. The ending was pretty good and very unexpected!

The Walking Dead S3 E4/5-PS4- And done. The story went places I didn't expect/want it to but had a lot of fun with this. Perfect games to play with the wife :) Bring on Season 4.

LA Noire (Switch)
Detroit: Become Human: by far the best Quantic Dream game, makes good on a lot of the plot devices they've tried in the past (choices have a longer term impact, detective chasing criminals device is more complicated and compelling, tracking down clues is fun and engaging). Still has plenty of story nonsense, some beats fall flat because the tone is off, and their representation of minority rights is problematic, but definitely worth a play. It has a ton of ambition and looks beeyootiful.

Yeah the ign Australia podcast said the minority rights element was heavy handed to the point of parody. In fact I think they said a lot of the writing and plot were ott.

Aye. They use 'we have a dream' as a device a number of times in a completely non-ironic, extremely serious way but only have one throwaway reference to the actual civil rights movement that could be completely missed depending on the route you take through the game.

To be fair to Quantic Dream, there is a lot of BME representation across the cast (big and small roles). They did that extremely well, which makes the lack of reference to racism even more bizarre.

I thought they had like a "back of the bus" type thing going on? I'll be honest I was listening in the car and missed the beginning of that part of the conversation.

It has made me interested to play it but I was bored with heavy rain and the same with that other one... Fahrenheit?

Yes, all androids ride in the back of the bus. They're also not allowed to use escalators?

The game has all these references to actual terrible things that happened to minorities throughout history, but next to no acknowledgement of the real life origins, if that makes sense? Androidphobia seems to exist in a vacuum, and it comes off like QD are using awful bits of history and human nature as plot devices rather than properly exploring the nature of prejudice, which is what the topic kind of begs for. They could have gone for a more straightforward detective story, but they chose something way more loaded and haven't handled it well at all.

I think there's more action in Detroit than Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit, but there are a couple of bits that are really slow towards the end. They're the bits that are trying to pack an emotional punch, and they clearly needed time for their inspirational orchestral music to build ;D

Edit: I think I'm explaining this badly, let me try again. They use things like riding on the back of the bus, wearing blue triangles, being dehumanised, even rounding up androids and putting them in camps, but don't use the words racism, Jews, Holocaust...they don't invoke the actual things that were the basis of these terrible things happening. One black character obliquely says 'my people were treated badly' at one point, but that was the only time it came up. Thusly making it feel like everything is used as a plot device rather than a comment on and exploration of prejudice throughout history.

Edited by Bondy

I get you, heavy handed in referencing without actual acknowledgement of what the reference means.

I'll give the demo a go if it's still on the store. Not sure if I have enough attention span for a busy narrative at the moment. Couldn't follow Horizon zero dawn but that was when the babies were like 3 months old. Maybe I can concentrate now!

Metal Slug 1 (PS4)

Metal Slug X (PS4)

Metal Slug 5 (PS4)

Raiden V (PS4)

Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)

Minit (PS4)

Final Fantasy VII (PS4) Platinum to boot.

State of Decay 2 - Xbox One. I mean, I'm such a fan of the genre that I was only ever going to have fun with this. It follows the same template as the original (base building and survival - you need food, fuel, materials etc) so it can get repetitive constantly doing the same supply runs, but that never seemed to bother me so much because I was just immersed in the Boondock US town smashing Zombies in the tits.

God of War - PS4. This is a perfect example of an incredibly well made videogame that never quite makes it to God tier cos it's just missing that certain something in my opinion. I had the same problem with AC: Origins. Good game, glad I played it. Will never make any GOTY lists for me.

Beyond: Two Souls - PS4

Far Cry 5 - PC

Silent Hill: Downpour - Xbox One

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - PC

Zombi - PS4

Shadow of the Colossus - PS4

Resident Evil 7 - PC

Assassin's Creed Origins - PS4

Bullet Witch - POC

The valley level can still fuck right off but still enjoyed it.

Agents of Mayhem - Xbox

Fun distraction, a few elements of Saints Row. Juvenile humour. Only worth the tenner I paid.

Spoiler
Got the Platinum too
Spoiler

The Walking Dead S3 E4/5-PS4- And done. The story went places I didn't expect/want it to but had a lot of fun with this. Perfect games to play with the wife :) Bring on Season 4.

Super Mario Odyssey-Switch-Fuck me what a fun game, not particularly hard to get through the story but I'm looking forward to the challenge of getting more Moons in the future.

Tacoma - PC - 2017 - 3/5

Hidden Agenda (PS4) - 2017 - 3/5

From the same studio as Until Dawn, but less fun! It uses your mobile phone so that several people can play together, but the competitive elements seemed at odds with the mystery aspects of completing the game and we're often pretty random. The plot was fairly predictable, but it was more the group-play stuff that was fun about it all. Looked gorgeous though!

The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit - PS4. A 1 - 2 hour length game to set up Life is Strange 2. Completely free to play, nails that Stephen King meets Judy Blume feel the original had, and makes you feel like a kid again. Amazing. Can't wait for the full sequel.

State of Decay 2 - Xbox One

God of War - PS4

Far Cry 5 - PC

Zombi - PS4

Resident Evil 7 - PC

Metal Slug 1 (PS4)

Metal Slug X (PS4)

Metal Slug 5 (PS4)

Raiden V (PS4)

Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)

Minit (PS4)

Final Fantasy VII (PS4)

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PS4) NES Castlevania, innit?

Tacoma - PC - 2017 - 3/5

The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit (PS4) - 2018 - 3/5
Life Is Strange 2 prequel chapter, it was a good little slice of fun, but I think Before The Storm was much better put together.

Tacoma - PC - 2017 - 3/5

The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit (PS4) - 2018 - 3/5

Assassins Creed: Origins: Curse of the Pharaohs DLC (PS4) - 2018 - 4/5
Goes to some really interesting places, looks utterly gorgeous, has some cool bosses, but ultimately there's just too much of this game. This AC would have been a 5/5 for me if it had been like 20-30 hours shorter.

Spoiler
Got the Platinum too
Spoiler

Super Mario Odyssey-Switch-Fuck me what a fun game, not particularly hard to get through the story but I'm looking forward to the challenge of getting more Moons in the future.

Tekken 7-PS4-Story mode done and finished most of the character stories. Story was the usual Tekken BS but the game is great and it looks lovely.

Far Cry 3 Classic - PS4. I love this game and this really is a great port. Managed to platinum it and get the sexy ending \o/

The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit - PS4

State of Decay 2 - Xbox One

God of War - PS4

Far Cry 5 - PC

Zombi - PS4

Resident Evil 7 - PC