Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Smurph

2018 Game Completion Thread

Journey - PS4

Wolfenstein: The New Order (Death Incarnate) - PS4: Bloody hell, this was hard. But great fun. Thanks to Ginj for the recommendation, otherwise I wouldn't have picked this up. Great storyline, and once you get used to the gunplay it works well. Only gripe is pressing x for picking up items- thought we might have moved on from that.

Anyway, a big challenge of a game is done. probably better than I did most of last year!

Zombi - PS4. I really like this game. It's clunky and low budget, but also tense as fuck.

Shadow of the Colossus - PS4

Resident Evil 7 - PC

Assassin's Creed Origins - PS4

Zombi - PS4. I really like this game. It's clunky and low budget, but also tense as fuck.

One of the reasons I bought a WiiU was for this game. Still haven't played it...

Raiden V (PS4)

Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4) Has to be one of my favourite open world games of all time. So many cool things I could mention but the story, and the answers you get are incredibly satisfying. Amazing game (and about 2 months of solid content!)

Edited by Smurph

Celeste - Switch

Bayonetta - Switch - Not as good as I remember it being. It's too disjointed. It's rare that you get to just enjoy a bunch of encounters in a row, there's always a rubbish platforming bit, or a long cutscene or a gimmicky one off section in between that hurts the game's pacing. The worst are the scripted sequences which instakill you if you get them wrong, or the twist fights where a mechanic is introduced and rarely seen again. On top of that, many enemies like Kinships are just irritating to fight and feel like a novelty encounter every time you get to one. There's 2 entire chapters of novelty encounter in the bike and space harrier chapters. The game is at its best with the regular enemies and you just fighting them, but it feels like there's so much fluff in between them. And because of that, it underuses a lot of enemies anyway, there's several enemy types you'll see only 3-4 times in the entire game, despite just being standard mobs.

It's also a relic of the "aren't QTEs GREAT?!" era, but doesn't even use them consistently. There's something like 4-5 QTEs across the entire game which come out of nowhere, have a tiny window to hit them and instant kill you if you miss them. There's one in chapter 2 after you kill the boss for example which kills you half way through the cutscene, which is just stupid because it resets you to after the fight anyway then strips a level off your end of stage rank as punishment. On a similar topic, the game loves to hit you with cheap shots out of cutscenes. Several enemies are introduced by having you need to dodge within a frame or two of a cutscene ending or you get hit, and a few more then make it so if you dodge straight away you'll get hit, because they now delay it by a moment instead. It's cheap.

There's a lot of asset reuse, some places are used upwards of 4 times in the game but with a different skin on. But all the skins come in colours of either grey or brown, and when they don't, they're so unsaturated they might as well be grey anyway. There's a real lack of colour in the game that's typical of early-mid 360/PS3 era games. The camera is utterly dreadful as well, there were a few fights where the game was just aggresively pulling the camera away from enemies/bosses so it could look at a wall or something instead.

I had fun with it, but it's not as good as I remember it being. I'm 2 stages into Bayonetta 2 and it's just a million times better, despite being a step back in terms of combat depth.

Finding 2 better all round, challenging but not as exacting as the first one.

Celeste - Switch

Bayonetta - Switch

Bayonetta 2 - Switch - Much better. The first game is seemingly scared to just commit to giving you a load of combat encounters in a row, it just has to throw some bullshit at you instead in between fights to kill the momentum. 2 doesn't have that problem, it's just constant forward momentum from fun fight to fun fight, with none of the frustrating stuff.

There are some problems though, I don't like the new Umbran Climax feature as it just feels like another "I win" button on top of torture attacks, I'd rather they just had one or the other. Preferably the former, because despite the new thing allowing you actually meaningfully use magic during boss fights, in order to make it feel sufficiently powerful Platinum reduced the damage that wicked weave attacks do, which makes them feel less satisying. Also reduces the power of advanced stuff like Dodge Offsets, since the point of it is letting you continue on to a wicked weave even if you dodge mid combo. Also don't like the changes to how combo scoring works since it no longer penalises use of the same combo over and over, and to compensate for that it makes the time limits tighter instead, making good medals more about doing as much damage as fast as possible rather than utilising the combat fully. Also, the fights with the Masked Lumen, despite being visually spectacular, are terrible. Along with the final boss. Input reading to dodge perfectly and no selling attacks that clearly hit isn't the correct way to make a boss challenging, the first game had it right - just make them hit hard but let me get a full combo off if I do it right even if I'm not in which time or UC.

Still, it's way better than the first (which still isn't bad anyway). I'll probably redo both on hard soon. Especially 2, as it's an utter cakewalk in comparison to the first game.

The Divison (Single Player Missions) It's alright, having to do the usual Ubi side missions was a chore in the end but what did I expect. Now I've hit level 30 there is a whole new game to be played.

Star Wars Battlefront 2-PS4- Very pretty, and better than expected in places.

The Walking Dead:Michonne-PS4- Usual Telltale stuff. I enjoyed this while it lasted.

Wolfenstein 2:The New Colossus-PS4- This is awesome fun. Batshit mental, some outstanding set pieces and it looks lovely. Slightly too long is the only criticism I could level at it.

The Walking Dead S3 E1-PS4- Starts strong, ends stronger.

The Walking Dead S3 E2-PS4-Can't wait to see where this is going!

Nier:Automata-PS4- Fuck me what a game. It keeps you on your toes throughout the whole game. Changing things up, and turning them on their head. One of the best games I've had the pleasure of playing.
Spoiler
Got the Platinum too
Spoiler
Everybody needs to give this game a go.

Killzone:ShadowFall-PS4-Bland, uninspiring and dull. Not Haze bad, but nearly. I got halfway through and dropped it 4 years ago and wanted a game to finish that was short after devoting 50 hours to Nier. At least it's another from the backlog...

Journey-PS4- Had a couple of hours to spare this morning as I was on call. Still excellent and I'd forgotten most of it since I haven't played it since it was first released on the PS3.

The Walking Dead S3 E3-PS4- Story still gripping, love the flashbacks.

South Park:Stick of Truth-PS4- Funny as fuck, went places I never expected and so many great touches. Such a good game.

Fallout: New Vegas: I had a save very near to the end of the game, so decided to tip it over the edge. An awesome game, with the best story of any of the 3D Fallout games, but I think I prefer Fallout 4, mainly for the side characters.

Star Wars Battlefront 2-PS4- Very pretty, and better than expected in places.

The Walking Dead:Michonne-PS4- Usual Telltale stuff. I enjoyed this while it lasted.

Wolfenstein 2:The New Colossus-PS4- This is awesome fun. Batshit mental, some outstanding set pieces and it looks lovely. Slightly too long is the only criticism I could level at it.

The Walking Dead S3 E1-PS4- Starts strong, ends stronger.

The Walking Dead S3 E2-PS4-Can't wait to see where this is going!

Nier:Automata-PS4- Fuck me what a game. It keeps you on your toes throughout the whole game. Changing things up, and turning them on their head. One of the best games I've had the pleasure of playing.
Spoiler
Got the Platinum too
Spoiler
Everybody needs to give this game a go.

Killzone:ShadowFall-PS4-Bland, uninspiring and dull. Not Haze bad, but nearly. I got halfway through and dropped it 4 years ago and wanted a game to finish that was short after devoting 50 hours to Nier. At least it's another from the backlog...

Journey-PS4- Had a couple of hours to spare this morning as I was on call. Still excellent and I'd forgotten most of it since I haven't played it since it was first released on the PS3.

The Walking Dead S3 E3-PS4- Story still gripping, love the flashbacks.

South Park:Stick of Truth-PS4- Funny as fuck, went places I never expected and so many great touches. Such a good game.

L.A. Noire + All DLC cases-PSTRIPLE- Good, but not great. Too many niggles to elevate it to a must play. Glad I went back to it though(6.5 years later...)

L.A. Noire + All DLC cases-PSTRIPLE- Good, but not great. Too many niggles to elevate it to a must play. Glad I went back to it though(6.5 years later...)

I have L.A. Noire on my PC, but found that I disagreed with the conclusions too much to really enjoy it. Also, when I say 'doubt', I don't mean kick the shit out of the witness, you bug eyed psycho!!

They changed that in the remaster to Good Cop, Bad Cop and Accuse (with evidence). Playing it on Switch on my lunch breaks. Its a better way of doing it, but still has odd moments and seemingly very specific things it wants you to do when the alternative option would probably have worked irl.

Shadow of the Colossus (PS4)

I cant comment on how faithful it is as a remake as I never played the original.

Unfortunately I found it rather boring. Seems pointless to create such a big world and have nothing to do in it. The story is non existent until the ending sequence. It is pretty, and clearly art, but as a game it fails on so many levels. Gameplay is dull: find weak points, climb thing then stab it while it shakes you off. Nothing to do inbetween. Poor camera and controls. No story to follow.

Ill probably get slaughtered for saying it, but it is very over rated. Last Guardian is a better game as at least you had puzzles to work out.

Risk of Rain(PS4) Cracker wee game. Set it aside for a couple of years and rediscovered it recently.

Metal Slug X (PS4)

Metal Slug 5 (PS4)

Raiden V (PS4)

Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)

Assassins Creed: Origins (PS4) - 2017 - 4/5
Assassins Creed: Origins: The Hidden Ones DLC (PS4) - 2017 - 4/5

Mario Odyssey (Switch) - 2017 - 4/5

Pokemon: Ultra Sun (3DS) - 2017 - 4/5

I was expecting a bit more of a difference from this and Sun/Moon before, but the few new bits that were added are a good deal of fun. The original was one of the best I've played since the old days, so this was still excellent. Still haven't caught them all after 20 years.

Shadow of the Colossus - Remastered (PS4) - 2/5

Maybe controversially, I didn't have the best time with this. I had only had a chance to play a few stages into the original before my PS2 broke, so maybe not having that nostalgic sheen to it laid bare some of the more archaic elements of the design. The colossi were almost universally easy to beat, with the exception of the final boss which was just stupidly designed and broke any conventions that had been established up to that point. The world's barrenness didn't evoke any sense of the lonely, unthankful quest I'm guessing it was supposed to, it just felt empty and I was bored. The remaster is beautifully presented though, and looks gorgeous.

The Secret of Monkey Island - Remastered (PC) - 4/5

First time playing this through with the wife, probably my 20th playthrough or something by this point. The remaster wasn't as good as the one they did for MI2, but this remains one of my favourite and most formative games, and it was great to see it through new eyes.

Risk of Rain(PS4)

Metal Slug 1 (PS4)

Metal Slug X (PS4)

Metal Slug 5 (PS4)

Raiden V (PS4)

Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)

Edited by Smurph