Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RetroBob

Photobucket WTF

I used Photobucket for a while for hosting pictures to forums, (including those from LiveLive 06), then today went to post some photos and questions regarding the innards of my Archimedes A3000 and found that they charge to pay for hosting now...

1Rf1gdGl.png

Are they on CRACK? Not just that... you can't download en masse (so that you can go elsewhere easily), luckily there were less than 30 pictures I wanted to keep so I just downloaded them individually and then deleted my account.

Found this on the Wikipedia page...

On June 28, 2017, Photobucket changed its Terms of Use regarding free accounts and third party hosting (hosting on forums, eBay, etc). Only the most expensive plan, at $399.99 per year, now permits third party hosting and linking to forums.[11] Photobucket made this change with no input or consultation with their current users, or the public. Adding this to Photobucket's use of excessive pop-up ads, scams, clickbait advertisements, and in some cases viruses embedded in ads, the number of active accounts quickly decreased.[citation needed]

This new business model has caused thousands of forum DIY's and write-ups with explanatory pictures to be rendered useless. About 500 words into the linked document was a declaration that free accounts would no longer permit image-linking to third-party sites. eBay and Etsy have also been affected, in addition to many forums and blogs.[12] Thousands of images promoting goods sold on Amazon and other shopping sites have been removed after the photo-sharing service changed its terms, causing a great deal of controversy. One user was quoted as saying: "The CEO of Photobucket will have trouble getting a job digging a garden after this."

Yep. That's why my sig banners are borked.

No announcements, no warning, just blam.

My bet is Bankruptcy in a year.

They've been getting more and more annoying to use for years now, this is no surprise but it's fucking ridiculous.

Can't remember the last time I used an image hosting site. That's so 2007 man.

I don't think I ever have. I used to have an album on Facebook that was private that I'd then hotlink too.

How do you guys embed in forums? Does that work from FB?

Just use imgur if you need third party hosting. Google images works for mass hosting, or Dropbox etc.

Yep - my photos on my phone all back up to Google, I delete the crap ones and file the rest in albums and back up everything on an external HD once a year. Google doesn't allow you to embed though, I just started using Imgr for that, I like how you can pick the size of the image really easily.

Photobucket has been going shit for years, I stopped using them ages ago, but that is pure dogshit from them