Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tachikoma

Japan 2017 Pseudo-Blog

Yeah I'm not a fan of religious places but Shinto and Buddhist stuff is at least a bit more palatable as its not so soon and gloom. Yesterday was a George day so we faced a 3 hour journey each was to go to grimy gloomy Nagoya to visit Nagashima Onsen/Spa Land so George could enjoy some theme park stuff, going on the steel dragon rollercoaster was top of his bucket list for the holiday, great day, the park is massive, absolutely dwarfs most of our theme parks and while making sure George was protected from the blaring sun, I naturally neglected myself and burnt to a crisp. The day was humid and hot like hell, I wore jeans for some stupid reason so I was drenched in sweat that wouldn't evaporate and looked like I walked out of the shower fully clothed. Even the Japanese seemed to suffer in the humidity, so it must have been bad. Today: Kyoto, temples, goshuin stamps and seeing if we can make it to the top of fushimi inari taisha in the heat.

Kyoto, home of Japanese tradition, the former capital city and frigging hot again. We went to my favourite place in ze vorld, Fushimi Inari Taisha and went off the beaten track, we went a good ways through the usual tori gates but then found a non-obvious path through the bamboo forest where we found a charming tiny little one man/priest temple and got a new goshuin that most tourists will probably miss on their trek to the top of mount inari. Sadly we left a bit too late to go to the other must-see temples and get more goshuin and photos but we went back to Kyoto station and found a massive temple complex (no shuin sadly) that even George was impressed with. Tomorrow is a lazy day, bit of akihabara in the morning then see what the afternoon brings. Three new shuin in one day though (two at inari taisha) so not a bad haul, the book is filling nicely.

IMG_20170823_224045.jpg

IMG_20170823_224107.jpg

IMG_20170823_224124.jpg

Shinagawa today, or rather the shopping area rather than the boring old shinkansen station. Managed to grab an orange GameCube with gba player and most importantly the disc for ¥5000 and super monkey ball 2 for ¥980 then met up with Pete for a beer and some amazing nihonshu (sake) before chatting in broken Japanese and broken English with some dudes from tepco doing the fukushima work. Tomorrow: Nikko for some culture and Japanese scenery. Also got my first perfect on taiko no tatsujin arcade, not easy as the drum controllers are usually destroyed.

IMG_20170824_231048.jpg

IMG_20170824_231641.jpg

IMG_20170824_231659.jpg

Final tally of the goshuincho, click on the image to see them all. Last full day tomorrow before we fly back early Tuesday morning. Did Nikko today and got a good couple of shuin and ruined my calves going up and down all the hills and terrible stone stairs.

IMG_20170827_222348.jpg