• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tachikoma

Japan 2017 Pseudo-Blog

Pre-loved?

Or should that be Post Loved?

Enjoy Japan, and give Pete a big kiss for me.

We are here, flight was smooth and quick, no fucking around for hours, tired and sweaty now, I'm tempted to go hit the town as the Mrs and George are going to be but might not be too clever an idea.

Went for a wander this morning while everyone else wad asleep. Found something about 2 minutes walk from the hotel.

20170817_074659.png

First proper day, woke up at 3:30 due to napping on the plane and jetlag. Hit Akihabara and spent far too much money, mostly on George in the arcades. We went to a few hobby shops for George to look for magic the gathering cards, he picked up a ton of hologram rare cards for ¥50 each for his buddies in MTG club as gifts and picked up a few expansion packs where he got a holographic legendary so he is bouncing off the walls with excitement. I got the usual tourist traps Mandarake where I grabbed Teke Teke Asmik kun warudo for ¥1300, more than I wanted to get it for but it's immaculate even though it's not boxed and a similarly mint Patlabor on GameBoy for ¥1500, original Patlabor games are high on my wishlist, especially the non story heavy games so done deal shopkeep!. Went to Trader 2 and got a GBA famicom mini twinbee for ¥1430, again more than i wanted to pay but it was there and it's a holiday so sod it, was on my list so bought it. Did the tourist trap hobby-off in akihabara and found a mint, never opened strike witches model for a meagre ¥540, I remember when they were going for £40+, well happy with that. Grabbed a magicarp taiyaki as well, which was ok, not the best but certainly edible.

Game list left to find:

GBA famicom mini Zelda

Famicom disc system Dirty Pair

PlayStation Patlabor

PlayStation Ghost in the Shell

Other shit I can't remember until I see it

20170817_162208.jpg

IMG_20170817_163607.jpg

I feel like I should understand a lot of what you said there but all I know for sure is you go there safely and spent some money so... well done!

Yep, basically hit the expensive tourist trap game shops in Akihabara, got some good stuff, now to venture further afield and find some cheaper bargains and probably the shit I already bought for half the price.

No game action today, we hit Nakano Broadway, a huge shopping arcade with tons of different shops and eateries. George spent another small fortune in the arcades and after wasting about £8 on the UFO claw grabber machines trying to win a Nyanko Hatsune Miku I found one in a model shop for about £12 so ripped that shit right off the shelf. Also found a boxed pair of Strike Witches to go with yesterday's purchase, slightly more expensive but it's the two main characters so not too bothered. Tried to find some nice Disney princess stuff for Sophie but only got an overpriced Ariel the little mermaid statue for £11. Tomorrow will probably grab our JR passes and either go to Nikko for some temple action or Fuji Q Highland for rollercoaster fun, weather permitting. Has been hot and humid but bearable, if we were here a week earlier it would have been a different story.

20170818_170158.jpg

There's better Engrish out there, gold if you can find it.

Actually, this summer has been one of the coolest on record. The wife and I have been complaining about it because of camping :P

Tach, sorry I haven't been about- got my national tournament today and tomorrow and have been preparing for it. It'll be at the Nippon budokan tomorrow if I qualify (usually do). If you want to come and see that's cool, but I'll definitely be free after 6pm tomorrow night to meet up if you're available. I'll be in touch!

No problem fella!

Not sure what our plans are for tomorrow yet but definitely interested in going if we aren't elsewhere.

Today was a bit traditional, we went in the searing heat and sapping humidity to Kamakura to see Daibutsu or the big Buddha. My reasons were slightly different though, having seen this impressive and picturesque monument before, I have only just come into the knowledge of Goshuinchou. These aren't anything to do with cat eared maids, or videogames, or single malt whiskey. They are a traditional way of recording your visits to holy sites, you have a book which is a concertina arrangement and each temple or shrine you visit offers a special stamp and calligraphy derailing the date and place of your visit. For a meagre ¥300 (or "the amount of your gratitude") you can get a beautiful and cherished momento of your visit, far better than a keyring or mug.

I'm going to see how many of these I can collect, even going back to already worn put places I have visited before.

IMG_20170819_223920.jpg

IMG_20170819_223951.jpg

IMG_20170819_224111.jpg

Lazy day today, yesterday wiped eberyone out so me and George went to akihabara for a gun cafe where he shot an airsoft machine gun then we wandered around a few shops and ended up in sukiya where we had super cheap, super fatty beef and rice, Japan's equivalent of McDonalds, food that fills a hole but leaves you feeling a bit queasy afterwards.

Temples, temples everywhere and a giant gyoza for dinner.

Hit Asakusa Today, did the usual Sensoji temple then went exploring the smaller temples and shrines looking for more goshuincho to add to Sensoji's stamp. Found a few lovely little places but we seemed to time everything wrong as it seemed to be worship time at each one. Luckily we found two that had staffed goshuincho booths so we added Higashi Honganji and Yasaki Inari to our books. While we were waiting at Higashi Honganji there was a funeral going on which was a bit awkward so we kept off to the sides, there were a few other foreigners there after we arrived but I don't think they rigged what was going on as it was a small procession so they awkwardly sat amongst the mourners, getting dirty looks. We went to Don Quixote afterwards and found 4L bottles of whiskey for about £20 which was cool, but you better know you like it as its going to take a while to go through.

IMG_20170821_170116.jpg

IMG_20170821_170135.jpg

IMG_20170821_170158.jpg