Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Papa

VBS Scripting

Its kind of a hobby, but I have become the scripting guy at work. I written a load of scripts, and would love to talk shop if anyone else has had to do this shit...

So, wmi huh?

I script a bit but mainly using Powershell by which I mostly take ones others have created an tweak them to suit my needs. I don't support many environments that rely too heavily on VBS scripting although seen some legacy ones still saved in the netlogon share for login scripts but a lot of their functions were made largely redundant ie mapping printers and shares etc as we tend to manage it through GPO.

Edited by Dark_Knight

Cool. I am working on moving the legacy .hta applications over to VB at moment. Its fun, and breaks up the monotony of service desk work.

I wrote an awesome script at uni. It was going to be like Die Hard 2 but set in Southend airport. Never did hear back from Fox about it.

I wrote an awesome script at uni. It was going to be like Die Hard 2 but set in Southend airport. Never did hear back from Fox about it.

:facepalm:

I do scripting from time to time at work. All our stuff is Solaris, HP-UX, or occasionally Linux, so I don't get to play with nice visual stuff, it's mostly in Vi.

Also, I signed the official secrets act so I don't talk about it much.

Did a module programming AI in C#. Fucking hated it. Did enjoy that I broke the server as I'd missed a class definition (I think) and the server couldn't cope. Rest of the course hated me as it was close to the coursework deadline and we used that server to test our AI.

I really should learn some variant of C, got an Arduboy (Arduino with a screen and a few buttons to look like a miniature original GameBoy) coming (eventually) from Kickstarter so will have to start using C something at some point, plus it will make pissing around in Unity/UE4 easier as I hate the stupid fucking flow chart stuff.

Regular C isn't that comparable by the time you get to C# to be honest. C isn't Object Oriented while C++/C# are... I've always struggled with regular C but haven't seen it used much these days anyway. C++ needs a lot of work with pointers and memory management still but is OO. Then C# is pretty similar to Java really, automated garbage collection etc.

Plus memory management in Unity is handled pretty differently to regular coding.

Edited by Duffman

I fucking hate object orientation, tried learning it and it's useless for what I do in work, at some point I'm going to have to do it though as nobody needs procedural programming these days unless you work on legacy stuff or what I work in.