Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RetroBob

Laptop choice, help?

Am laptop shopping for my good lady. Her current one is knackered (literally the screen has detached and wobbles around). Tablet won't do as she does actual work on it, spreadsheets and shit. She would also use it to stream stuff on if I am on the main TV.

We have been looking around a bit but struggling to compare apples for apples because different places have slightly different models! She likes the look the HP Spectre x360 (retarded name) or Lenovo Yoga pro 3. So a foldy one would be good.

Has anyone bought a laptop recently or can offer some advice?

She doesn't particularly but since Windows 10 is designed around it then it's proabably a good idea.

Breaking news: She went for the HP.

Shufty - yeah we saw a tonne of Acers, they look really cheaply built.

Apparently lenovo have exploitable malware embedded in the bios these days. I'd avoid it myself, though people often care less about this.

I imagine most laptops are pretty same-y if you're not gaming on them, decent processor and what more do you actually need?

Macbook for £1,050. Will last for years. Every mac I've ever had had last 4 or more years and still been great. With the flash storage, they are now unbelievable.

Edited by Mr Rich

lol

Sorry, I don't see what's funny. Every person I know with a windows based laptop complains about it after a couple of years. All I'm doing it proposing the alternative. If you're not gaming, they're great. It's all you ever really need. Not like I'm saying go buy a 2.5k Macbook Pro.

if you're not gaming, they're great

Yes, I do agree. However, you expect to be able to game at least a little on something that expensive, no? I should know, I'm a full-fledged Mac-wanker, but goddamnit I wish I had a poc rig most of the time.

At least they've made spreadsheet programs freely accessible now.

Macs are a bit shite if you're only used to using windows. The argument of them being more user friendly just seems bollocks to me, it's just a different way of doing things that's really annoying to deal with if you're used to other ways without any benefits to doing it that way. You can do anything you want either way on either OS if you're experienced with it, so you might as well stick with what you know.

Of course if you'd used a Mac for years you'd have the same troubles with Windows. As it is though you might as well just spend less money.

Ugh I remember having to use Macs for one of my uni modules. Fookin nightmare.

Edited by Duffman

I just picked up a laptop for the missus. Dell XPS L502X. Quad core i7 processor, 8GB RAM and dedicated Nvidia GeForce GT540M graphics so she can play Life is Strange and light gaming stuff.

£200. It's fast as fuck for day to day stuff.

£1,050 for a Mac.

lol

£200???? Second hand I presume?

Yeah, it's just a different way of doing it. however, my parents made the transition very easily and my 67 year old Dad said he would never go back to a windows machine now, so maybe there's something in it. I'm just too used to them now.

Yeah, second hand. Someone built a gaming desktop so got rid on the cheap. Had to buy a new battery so it was £230 really.

One thing I will say is people who do anything dodgy on a windows pc (like pirating TV shows and movies) without knowing what they are doing will fuck their shit up. There's a lot of data mining viruses and malware about that will grind systems to a halt.

Apple products are great, but holy fuck do you pay for them. My boss has an iphone 6XL and my Lumia 930 is quicker if anything. Difference in price? £400!

I just picked up a laptop for the missus. Dell XPS L502X. Quad core i7 processor, 8GB RAM and dedicated Nvidia GeForce GT540M graphics so she can play Life is Strange and light gaming stuff.

£200. It's fast as fuck for day to day stuff.

£1,050 for a Mac.

lol

That is pretty much my Laptop apart from it being a Toshiba. Still fast as fuck now and I have had it 5 years. Runs Win 10 flawlessly (now)