Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jusatsushi

Playstation Now

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/01/07/playstation-now-streaming-game-service-coming-this-summer/

Today, at CES 2014 in Las Vegas, we announced that PlayStation Now (PS Now), our new streaming game service, will be available in the US this summer. With PlayStation Now, you will be able to stream popular hits and classic games from the PS3 library, first on PS4 and PS3 systems, followed by PS Vita.

In addition to PlayStation platforms, most 2014 US models of Sony’s BRAVIA TV lineup will support PS Now. Eventually the service will expand beyond PlayStation platforms and Sony devices, allowing you to stream PlayStation games across a broad range of Internet-connected devices.

Leveraging Gaikai’s advanced cloud-based technology, PlayStation Now will allow you to:

• Play video games instantly across multiple devices, similar to the way you might stream TV, movies, and music.
  • Stream full games to all of your compatible PlayStation devices including PS4, PS3, and PlayStation Vita as well as non-PlayStation devices, beginning with 2014 BRAVIA TV models and expanding to numerous other Internet-connected devices.
  • Always play the most updated version of your game. With games hosted in the cloud, you can take your game with you – just log in with your Sony Entertainment Network account on a compatible device and your games and saved progress will be easily available.

We want to offer you choice when it comes to how you want to access content on PS Now, so you will be able to rent by title for specific games you are interested in. We’ll also offer a subscription that will enable you to explore a range of titles.

PS Now will begin a Beta program in the US at the end of January with an expected full roll-out in the US this summer. Be sure to check the PlayStation.Blog regularly for more updates on the PS Now service.

If this works, it will be frikkin huge.

Wouldn't be surprised if they did a Playstation Platinum sub which would give access to the streaming or something. I hope so anyway. Paying to stream individual games for a set time would be crap seeing as I can pick up games a year old in a Steam sale for sub five quid and keep them forever.

If Sony want this to work, it has to be value comparable to PS+.

Then we get into required broadband speeds and bandwidth etc...

Imagine streaming the full PS3 library to Vita in the click of a few buttons though... :wub:

I'm cautiously excited, even if it just means I can play my PS3 games on the Vita in the house while the Mrs is watching Eastenders.

Again if the price is right I'm in. I have the Vita, I have the stupidly fast BB. The ball is definitely in Sonys court. Having said that,any games we own digitally for the PS3 should automatically be included in the Plus sub imo.

I don't have the internet for this, but it does make the PS4 even more an attractive purchase.

To be honest, the streaming from the PS4 to Vita I have found seamless (Twin has found it laggy at times) so I hope this works.

I had a thought about this earlier, that echoed an article I read yesterday. If this works, and works well enough at the right price point, what's the point in buying a PS4? you could just as easily have PS4 games streaming to your PS3. If they can do it with smart TV's and tablets as shown at CES then they can do it with the humble PS3.

Well, isn't the point that the new Bravia TVs you would just stream the games without any console at all?

So yes, you're right, what would be the point in a PS4? The only reason to have one is if your broadband wasn't good enough or you no internet connection.

Perhaps they will do it as an add on to Playstation Plus, so therefore you can pay a subscription and get some good games that have just been out for a year. A bit like Netflix being very reasonably priced but you don't get access to new films and the content takes a while to update.

5 megs is being toted about, that's me out for a while.

Edited by Al

Well, that other streaming service (was it on live?????) that said 5 mb/s.

Did that ever come to anything?

Guest TwinHype

I think this is a great idea but I don't think bandwidth is up to it. Having youtube, netfilx etc. pause and reduce in quality is very annoying and I don't want that to be my gaming experience.

Go actual discs etc.

People are talking about it on podcasts but I just don't think people will actually use it en masse. Who wants to play PS3 games now anyway? I have maybe one or two more games but that's it.