Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ginja

Mass Effect 3

So whilst others were looking forward to new 'massive game' Red Dead Redemption, 2 I've been back to replay the Mass Effect series over the last few months - maybe 40-50 hours in each game. Originally got in to it after Alex & Vinny stated playing though this for Mass Alex on GiantBomb and like many others was inspired to play along - I soon found myself playing way past where they were up to, partly to avoid spoilers but also because it's just so damn good.

This is the first time I've been back to play this since finishing ME3 (April 10th 2012 according to this thread). Playing them back to back has been an amazing ride. It's been so long that I'd forgotten the majority of the story, so it was like playing through them as new games and this time I just bought ALL of the DLC so there was plenty of genuinely new stuff too. I used to prefer ME2, but I think the passage of time and playing them together gives a bit more objectivity (we are years past the ending controversy)... so now I think 3 is the best, mainly due to the refined combat and also some of the incredible moments in the game.

I was enjoying each game so much that I tried to do and see as MUCH as possible, not because to hit a completion number but because it's just so fucking good - trying to absorb as much of it as possible. This time I went with a female Shepard and holy cow, Jennifer Hale's performance is incredible. As I came towards finishing 2 and same with 3, I was genuinely feeling sad that this would be the last time for several more years that I'd play this (I know I can play anytime, but realistically). Maybe I'm just a soft shite now I have a kid but I shed a tear on two occasions. 

Endings wise, ultimately I ended up going with Synthesis rather than Control or Destroy. I think I went with destroy originally and wanted to try something different. Synthesis is a genuinely happy ending, resolving the reaper (and synthetics vs organics) problem altogether and doesn't result in lots of death. Also, the changes made improve the ending were definitely good.

So what they hell do I play now? There's nothing really like this... I Iove the futuristic science fiction but not interested in medieval fantasy style. A really nicely improved version of Phantasy Star just came out on the Switch for the cost of a couple of beers so maybe I try that, they made an auto-mapping system and a nuber of other quality of life improvements!

I read our thread yesterday and listened to podcasts at the time. It can only be let down to go so quickly in to even a mediocre game.

I tried to play ME1 on BC, but it was horrible. Nasty framtrate, even worse during firefights.
Would love to do it all again, but time is short for games atm.

I didnt notice anything, was this on standard Bone or an X?

Yeah my games time is severely curtailed. I've been getting the odd session when my 19 month old is asleep in the day, but it's mainly in evening, sometimes until late. Man, I wonder what my 2012 self earlier in this thread would say...

3 hours ago, Al said:

just the regular Xbox @RetroBob

When did you attempt it? When bc launched it was poor, but they fixed it later.

Also, ME1 had a pretty choppy frame rate anyway.

I'm wearing my Mass Effect 3 t shirt. It's one of my I'm home and not leaving the house again today items of clothing.

Not that I ever wore it when it was new because it's Mass Effect 3. If it had been 2 I'd have proudly worn it outside the house ;)