Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Idaho

another poc building thread

So I've just been backing up stuff to my external drive ready for the transfer, while that was happening I decided to have a quick sort out of my geek room. 2.5 hours later and it's done, I've now got an extra 1.5ft of space between me and the tv, which will look so much better when I get rid of the office chair. I actually plugged in the reclining sofa, rearranged all my JD bottle collection into some semblance of order. I've got rid of the cube and PS2 from under the tv(go emus, which I may be hassling you about Gman to get the right setups).

I should have done this bloody ages ago, all I've got to do on Monday now is remove old pc, monitor etc and do a bit of cable tidying then I'm good to go :) Can't fucking wait. Oh and I have tissues handy......

I picked up Ass Creed II on PC for £4 the other day sealed from ebay. Thought I'd have another crack after not getting too far into it on 360...

Now it aint no slouch visually on 360, but fuck me... the PC version is something else... the draw distance and detail is just staggering. I've just got to the mansion and I remember so vividly climbing that on 360 and being a little let down by the abysmal detail on the surrounding countryside. On PC it's like a photograph...

Hope you have good speeds for the 17 million updates.

No infinity just yet, but I'm doing ok. Add me on steam mate TheLastGinja (funnily enough)

Add me ya cunt! Sandstorm, or go via jimbob.

Crysis is great on it actually.

eeeek, I'm at work!

So far owning a new PC has not been about gaming but preparation. It's not much fun.

When I eventually get everything downloaded and patched I'm sure it will be awesome. For now I'm off to play CODBLOPS2. On the 360.

Yeah, I did a clean install of W7 a few months back and it took about a week on my shit connection to get updated, patched and shit. Stick with it though, cos it's glorious being part of the master race!

I got a 660ti the other week :)

Is that good?

Been debating for ages, might start off with some RAM. If I got a uber GC, would my AMD64x2 processor be a huge bottleneck? Or will the über GC just power through anyway?

Hmm, I think a 660ti would be massively held back by that processor if I'm honest. You would still see a boost, but would be better of splitting the beans on a 560ti and maybe a decent i3 or i5.

Do you know what motherboard you have? And what PSU?

I have answers!

It's an ASUS M2N SLI deluxe, and the PSU is an Antec 650w.

Ran memtest today and got about 10 million errors beofre I gave up, so I took out all of my RAM and tested each chip seperately, and then tested each chip seperatly and nothing, then ran a test each time I put a chip back in and noth, weird!

Will be upgrading soon, do you think it's better to spend a bit more for a proper overhaul? Will I be just thowing a bit of good money after bad by only doing the RAM and GC?

If I'm looking at a new graphics card what do I need to check?

Also what's good in the 100 quid region?

For that price, I'd really consider keeping an eye out for a used bargain. A quick scan of rllmukk uncovered this beauty (card is £200 plus when new):

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/269712-amd-6970-for-sale-wd-media-player/

Which is an AMD 6970 for £95 delivered!

Good GPU comparison site here:

http://gpuboss.com/

wait... think i know... mine seems to have some 4pin kind of deal going on.... and looks like 500w... my current card just slots into the board

Your current card is low profile so doesn't need to be connected to a PSU as it draws power from the motherboard. Anything half decent will need to be plugged straight in to the PSU. You should have a port on that to plug in one of these:

311dW6c3YIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phobya-300mm-PCI-E-Extension-Cable/dp/B007OULOZY

The single bit goes in the Power Supply and the double bit goes into the graphics card.

Ordered a new fan for my graphics card... hopefully. If not it only cost 99p so don't really care.

You can tell I've been away cos no other fucker has replied!

You have a good system. A decent CPU and reasonable RAM, but it is all really limited by the graphics card, which in turn is really limited by the PSU.

To be honest, even a low profile card wouldn't run on a 300w supply so first thing to change is that. Unless you plan to SLI or crossfire, something fairly budget would be fine:

http://www.ebuyer.com/278492-antec-vp-550w-psu-0-761345-06441-5

Then, I'd go for an ATI card. It used to be the Nvidia 560ti, but the ATI 7850 2GB is currently the 'bang for buck' card of choice:

http://www.ebuyer.com/390921-sapphire-hd-7850-oc-2gb-dual-dvi-hdmi-displayport-pci-e-graphics-card-11200-14-20g

That would be a massive improvement to your system. The step up from a low profile 5450 to a 2GB 7850 would be insane.