Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest marthagogo

post when you read a book

I finished Snow Crash yesterday and it went in directions I would never have envisioned.

I'm now reading the sequel to John dies at the End(Avoid the film!!!), which has the amazing title of "This book is full of spiders. Seriously dude don't touch it!"

Not as good as the original so far, but it's still entertaining.

I'm now reading the sequel to John dies at the End(Avoid the film!!!), which has the amazing title of "This book is full of spiders. Seriously dude don't touch it!"

The film turned up of US Netflix the other day. Parts of it are good but so much from the book is missing, it feels like half a story.

The film turned up of US Netflix the other day. Parts of it are good but so much from the book is missing, it feels like half a story.

Agreed, when I saw the running time of the film I was worried, and while I can understand why they cut a couple of the characters, the scenarios they were in could have been reworked and it would have added so much to the film.

I just finished Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13538873-mr-penumbra-s-24-hour-bookstore

It's a really fun geeky adventure story. Worth a read if you liked Ready Player One, or Anathem & Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.

Edited by The Penultimate Ninja

I'll have a look into them. They all look interesting.

I've finished Book of Spiders etc. It was decent but not as good as the first book.

Mistborn Trilogy Book 2 & 3 - Bradley Sanderson

Not a bad end to an enjoyable but forgettable series, I recommend it for some light fantasy, it's not a bad collection of books, but it just lacks something.

The Forsaken - The Apocalypse Trilogy Book 2 - G Wells Taylor

This series is turning out to be a sleeper hit for me, the first book was good but weird, this book is set X years after the first and explains why the world/dead people noy dying/etc in the first book exists. Some very interesting characters and concepts such as the "forever children" basically, if nobody ages since "the event" what happens to kids?, their minds continue developing, but they are stuck in a small body. I think these "kids" made this book the most interesting so far, there's not a lot I can say without spoiling things, but there's some brilliant and at other times unsettling plot elements.

I actually finished this book the other day and I am 63% of the way through book 3, which should be complete by tomorrow or Thursday. I am annoyed though that this trilogy opens with the WildClown Detective, then he isn't mentioned at all in the second book other than as a massive spoiler for the books dedicated to him that spin off from the trilogy.

If you read and enjoy When Graveyards Yawn, don't read the second trilogy book, go straight to the WildClown Detective Stories as book 3 of this trilogy also has just dropped another massive spoiler.

The Fifth Horseman - The Apocalypse Trilogy Book 3 - G Wells Taylor

Excellent end to the trilogy, it's good seeing all the massive changes to this world, and it's clever that each of the three books is essentially a different genre (#1 = Detective Novel, #2 = Religious War, #3 = Cowboy Story)

The ending seemed very rushed, but it was a good read.

Hard Boiled: A WildClown Novel - G Wells Taylor

Not what I was hoping, instead of a meaty detective novel, it's a small collection of "case reports" so really just short stories, still a good read if you like WildClown, just started the next WildClown book, so hoping that has more substantialness.

I'm really enjoying this authors works, shame I am nearly through his entire catalogue.

Doubt anyone is interested, but will list the Manga I have read recently as well:

Rosario + Vampire - Series 1 - Akihisa Ikeda

Books 1-8 complete

Usual harem monster comedy, a good read, not enough smut though!

Negima! Magister Negi Magi - Ken Akamatsu

Books 1-11 complete

Harem comedy, but with a sexually immature (as in, he's only 8) lead male (Welsh!!!) character, so no chance of nookie with the schoolgirls

Very funny, if you liked Love Hina, you know what to expect, plenty of smut but not gratuitous, still wouldn't read it on the train though.

I guess we don't really need an annual books read list, we should probably just take the 2011 off this one.

For the Kindle users: This is one of my favourite books I read last year, available for 20p

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hundred-Year-Old-Climbed-Window-Disappeared-ebook/dp/B008D30K7E

I just finished Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13538873-mr-penumbra-s-24-hour-bookstore

It's a really fun geeky adventure story. Worth a read if you liked Ready Player One, or Anathem & Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.

I finished The Unnoticables yesterday. I enjoyed it a lot. It's a funny, crude, gory sci-fi/horror that I'd definitely recommend to people who liked stuff like John Dies At The End.

So it looks like your taste in books and mine are quite similar. I finally got around to reading Hundred year old man (have you seen the film? It's not bad) and Mr Penumbra last year and really enjoyed them both.

I went to get The Unnoticeables from Audible and almost clicked buy when I noticed David Wong had a new book on there! Bought that instead but will pick up TU when I get a new credit next week.

So it looks like your taste in books and mine are quite similar. I finally got around to reading Hundred year old man (have you seen the film? It's not bad) and Mr Penumbra last year and really enjoyed them both.

I went to get The Unnoticeables from Audible and almost clicked buy when I noticed David Wong had a new book on there! Bought that instead but will pick up TU when I get a new credit next week.

I read Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits last month, it revels in being brash and funny in the same way John Dies at the End did. The bad guy is a complete dick. Stupidly, entertainingly so.

Edited by The Penultimate Ninja

So I have not listed here in.... Ever! In recent months I've read or reread

Fight Club

Forest Gump

Hunger Games 1,2 and half of 3

Man in the high castle

I, partridge

Ready player one

The Internet is a playground

I am legend

The Martian

Orange is the new black

The prestige

The only good thing night shifts are for is reading...

So I've been a bit busy:

Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits- It was okay but not great. It had some funny moments...

Bazaar of Bad Dreams-Stephen King- Some god, some bad and some great. A typical King short story compilation.

Star Wars Books- The Force Awakens, Heir to the Jedi, Aftermath, Lords of the Sith and Dark Disciple. All good in their own way, with each writer bringing something different. Basically if you're into Star Wars there's something to like here.

They're all "new canon" and set in different times. I figured I'd get in on the ground floor since they've reset everything :) Got 2 more ready to go Tarkin and New Dawn on Audiobook and another 2 Battlefront and Lost Stars on Kindle/Paperback then I'm up to date.

I'm also plugging away on Morrisseys autobiography....

Edit:Forgot The Martian until I read Daves post. How could I forget that!

I've just finished reading Burmese Days, which was George Orwell's first book. Set in Burma under British rule in the 20s, it's not really like 1984 or Animal Farm in its themes, more just a scathing look at people inside the British empire in countries such as India and Burma in the waning days of empire. I didn't realise that Orwell was a police officer for the empire during those years in Burma, hence why this was his first book.

Bit of spam (what a surprise from me). A friend has written a book, and it's really really good. Sci-fi, not going to give away any of the plot, but just post the link to Amazon. You can buy it for the kindle or the kindle app for the princely sum of £2.99. If you need something to read and you fancy giving a new author a go, I can recommend this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Museum-Second-Chances-AE-Warren-ebook/dp/B07962C97Z/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518597904&sr=8-1&keywords=museum+of+second+chances