Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest marthagogo

post when you read a book

Guest marthagogo

on the surface but its more how he imagines the development after 500years of it being that way and not having access to the you know what.

its long enough for there to be some changes & possible some external (or internal) threat, but not long enough for everyone to get all supertech post physical (read: boring & all powerful).

Game of Thrones ,book1. Awesome.

Currently readin 1984 for the 1st time it's absolutely brilliant.

Am reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins - it makes the most compelling case for fallacy of religion you could imagine. Dawkins' writing is intelligent and witty (think Stephen Fry), it's great to read.

Boneshaker - Cherie Priest

Carter Beats the Devil - Glen David Gold

Guards! Guards! - Terry Pratchett

Men at Arms - Terry Pratchett

Feet of Clay - Terry Pratchett

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot

The Magician's Guild - Trudi Canavan

The Novice - Trudi Canavan

The High Lord - Trudi Canavan

Johannes Cabal The Necromancer - Jonathan L Howard

The Magnificent Spilsbury and the Case of the Brides in the Bath - Jane Robbins

Very interesting true crime book about a famous case from ww1 England, and the rise of forensic investigation and star/expert witnesses in court.

Read Porterhouse Blue which I understand is considered one of Tom Sharpe's best. It was decent but the ending felt really rushed.

I'm reading The Count of Monte Cristo. I was expecting it to be shit because it's old, but the writing style is modern in the ways that matter. 1/4 of the way in.

So I finished 1984 today. It is truly one of the best books I've ever read. Very depressing, and the similarities between their society and ours today are there.

I love the way the ending is open to your own interpretation, although I'm sure there's academics out there that will say it was this or that. The only thing I can't believe is that it took me this long to get round to reading it....

Next up for me is the novelisation of the awesome movie JAWS: The Revenge. I've been after this for years, and I checked ebay(as I have intermittently again for years) and there it was! I've loved ALL the Jaws books, although 3 never got the treatment. The 2nd although not by Benchley(Hank Searls) was even better than the film, and he's written this too.

I have high hopes as the movie truly is one of last centuries greatest cinematic triumphs. Up there with Megashark and Shartopus, but sailing high above Swamp Shark.

Boneshaker - Cherie Priest

Carter Beats the Devil - Glen David Gold

Guards! Guards! - Terry Pratchett

Men at Arms - Terry Pratchett

Feet of Clay - Terry Pratchett

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot

The Magician's Guild - Trudi Canavan

The Novice - Trudi Canavan

The High Lord - Trudi Canavan

Johannes Cabal The Necromancer - Jonathan L Howard

The Magnificent Spilsbury and the Case of the Brides in the Bath - Jane Robbins

The Owl Killers - Karen Maitland

The Catholic Church, a Christian womens collective, and pagan beliefs of simple-headed villages clash in the arse end of 14th century England. Fear, superstition, disease, and murder ensues.

Jaws: The Revenge. Spoliers ahead.... Instead of the ridiculous story of the film, where the shark goes hunting the Brody family to get REVENGE! "THIS TIME IT'S PERSONAL" is the tagline.

Like that would happen, after all in Jaws 2 the film, the woman examining the dead killer whale even says sharks don't take things personally Chief Brody.

There is a much more realistic story about a voodoo priest who gets all pissed off with Michael Brody when he throws something of his in the sea and takes control of the shark to kill the Brody family. Yep, I buy that much more than the movie. To be fair, it does flesh out the characters more than the film, and there's a whole sub plot with Bahamian drug barons and Hoagie(his name is Michael Caine). It's pulp at it's best

. I think I may watch the films again soon and can't wait to get to this one again :)

I finished The Count of Monte Cristo - glad I read that one. Now I'm reading Ringworld by Niven. Not bad so far, but the characters so far are unconvincing. I think he might be a shit writer.

Can't remember what I've read so far this year, but recently reread the Harry Potters from start to finish, one after the other. It was a good romp, and the las book was better and more mature than I thought it would be.

Just had a week on holibob and managed to get some good reading done.

Sarah Waters, Affinity: I do like her writing style so I was probably a bit biased from the start (she mucks around with timings and is a fan of the 'oh, dude...' moment when you realise exactly what she's been building up to), but this was a pleasantly good read. Don't want to give too much away, but it has a great final revea; chapter.

Steig Larsson, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: Can't honestly understand what all the fuss is about. I picked it up because people who I consider to be intelligent have been raving about it, but it's poorly written and glacially slow. The first 150 pages could literally be halved by making the writing more concise, and removing all the endless repetition of tiresome family history (that frankly isn't that interesting). I have endless more ranting about it, but it is actaully picking up a bit after 250 pages, but it's essentially a cross between Se7en and Da Vinci Code. Can anyone enlighten me as to why this book is so highly regarded?

I'm currently reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. The cover caught my eye in Tesco, as I thought that looks like Tom Hanks(it was) and it turns out there's a film out soon. Anyway, I read the blurb and thought it sounded interesting, and unlike anything I've read before so I rushed to the checkout paperback in hand.

Okay so that's a lie, I rushed home to my nearest illegal download site, grabbed the audiobook and kindle version. It's gripping, and very unusual. It started off with a tale of an English Doctor and his middle aged American companion which segued into a young English composers story and so on. All these stories intertwine in some way and throughout the ages from the 1800s to the future. I'm just about half way through but I wanted to tell people about it. So I have. Now go download it or buy it or something. I'm quite looking forward to seeing the film too, apparently the Wachowski brother/sister combo made it.

I've read Cloud Atlas a couple of times; once in 2008 and again last year.

I really like it and the way each story feels so different, My favourite couple of sections are the dystopian near future one and the post-apocalyptic one that follows on, and the way they link together. The language in that one can be a bit of a slog though.

The film came and went here without anyone noticing. It came out in October last year in the US, but for some reason not until February 22nd this year in the UK. My nearest cinema only showed it once!

Edited by The Penultimate Ninja

I guess we don't really need an annual books read list, we should probably just take the 2011 off this one.

For the Kindle users: This is one of my favourite books I read last year, available for 20p
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hundred-Year-Old-Climbed-Window-Disappeared-ebook/dp/B008D30K7E

Edited by The Penultimate Ninja

Nearly finished Clash of Kings (or Game of Thrones season 2 for you TV types). Bloody good, not seen the series as they always screwed up my reading of the books.

I read 'Ready Player 1' recently, it's got lots of retro games/machines/films/tv shows referenced in it, well worth a read.

I'm Yarring Cloud Atlas now as I've just checked and none of my cinemas have it.

I have Ready Player One queued up on the Kindle as my next book funnily enough :)

Another vote for Ready Player One here. I really enjoyed it but

Seriously, No way on earth could Wade have read, watched and played all that in just 5 years to become this walking 80s encyclopedia! Apart from that minor annoyance(in my eyes) I bought the whole thing.

I'm just about to start Odd Apocalypse by Dean Koontz, I've really enjoyed all the other Odd novels so quite looking forward to this.

I've also yarred the 1st 100 or so walking dead comics as we now have an Ipad in the house(If I'm ever allowed to get my hands on it. It seems to be the wifes mobile Facebook viewer and Bejewelled player :)

I've just read the first 3 books in the Horus Heresy series. Warhammer stuff made me feel like I was about 14 again...Go Space Marines!!!!!

Guest marthagogo

you may want to just borrow some of the others. they are very patchy.