Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest marthagogo

post when you read a book

I'm currently reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. The cover caught my eye in Tesco, as I thought that looks like Tom Hanks(it was) and it turns out there's a film out soon. Anyway, I read the blurb and thought it sounded interesting, and unlike anything I've read before so I rushed to the checkout paperback in hand.

Okay so that's a lie, I rushed home to my nearest illegal download site, grabbed the audiobook and kindle version. It's gripping, and very unusual. It started off with a tale of an English Doctor and his middle aged American companion which segued into a young English composers story and so on. All these stories intertwine in some way and throughout the ages from the 1800s to the future. I'm just about half way through but I wanted to tell people about it. So I have. Now go download it or buy it or something. I'm quite looking forward to seeing the film too, apparently the Wachowski brother/sister combo made it.

I've read Cloud Atlas a couple of times; once in 2008 and again last year.

I really like it and the way each story feels so different, My favourite couple of sections are the dystopian near future one and the post-apocalyptic one that follows on, and the way they link together. The language in that one can be a bit of a slog though.

The film came and went here without anyone noticing. It came out in October last year in the US, but for some reason not until February 22nd this year in the UK. My nearest cinema only showed it once!

Edited by The Penultimate Ninja

I guess we don't really need an annual books read list, we should probably just take the 2011 off this one.

For the Kindle users: This is one of my favourite books I read last year, available for 20p
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hundred-Year-Old-Climbed-Window-Disappeared-ebook/dp/B008D30K7E

Edited by The Penultimate Ninja

Nearly finished Clash of Kings (or Game of Thrones season 2 for you TV types). Bloody good, not seen the series as they always screwed up my reading of the books.

I read 'Ready Player 1' recently, it's got lots of retro games/machines/films/tv shows referenced in it, well worth a read.

I'm Yarring Cloud Atlas now as I've just checked and none of my cinemas have it.

I have Ready Player One queued up on the Kindle as my next book funnily enough :)

Another vote for Ready Player One here. I really enjoyed it but

Seriously, No way on earth could Wade have read, watched and played all that in just 5 years to become this walking 80s encyclopedia! Apart from that minor annoyance(in my eyes) I bought the whole thing.

I'm just about to start Odd Apocalypse by Dean Koontz, I've really enjoyed all the other Odd novels so quite looking forward to this.

I've also yarred the 1st 100 or so walking dead comics as we now have an Ipad in the house(If I'm ever allowed to get my hands on it. It seems to be the wifes mobile Facebook viewer and Bejewelled player :)

I've just read the first 3 books in the Horus Heresy series. Warhammer stuff made me feel like I was about 14 again...Go Space Marines!!!!!

Guest marthagogo

you may want to just borrow some of the others. they are very patchy.

Yeah I've read up on them,fairly sure I'm not going g to read all 23, I feel the plot will be similar to the first 3

Small plot/chaos/honour/asartes points...then loads of shoot death sword, back to plot, shoot death, rinse repeat. For the Marines!

Guest marthagogo

the 1st was class though and i believe they do ressurect garviel. didnt get that far though.

Yeah garviel was awesome. I've just started the 4th Book, but dunno if I can be added learning loads of new characters...

Stuff I have read over the last few weeks:

Franz Kafka - The Metamorphosis

Absolutely stunning piece of work, always wanted to read some Kafka but it's one of those pretentious arty farty sort of things that people in Starbucks read while checking their stock reports on a MacBook Pro. Was amazed by the writing and the hidden meanings, can't recommend it enough, and you can read it in half an hour, which is good.

HP LoveCraft - Call of Chtulu

Again, another masterpiece that I have for far too long overlooked due to it's pompous fanbase

The Blade Itself Trilogy - Joe Abercrombie

Better than The Sword of Truth, and dare I say it, just as good, if not better in places (mainly story flow and character depth) than Game of Thrones, with some of the best characters (say one thing for) Logan Ninefingers (say he's a cunt) and Sand Dan Glotka.

Can't recommend it enough if you are into high fantasy swords and sworcery

The Variant Effect - G. Wells Taylor

Just about to finish the second book in the two part and a short story series and absolutely love it, it's an interesting take on the zombie genre, well written, gory but not for the shock value and wins an award for the most awkward and unsettling (consensual) sex scene ever.

Years ago, a company invented a new drug "Varion" that not only treats depression, anxiety, phobias and general malaise, but cures it entirely. Doctors dish them out like candy to the worlds populace, but then things go wrong. People's phobias and obsessions get amplified to self destructive and murderous proportions, and some turn feral "biters" (the sort of zombies) and the only way they can supress their rampaging anger and fear, is by stripping human flesh and eating it.

The drug is withdrawn immediately, but there's a problem; the drug stays in human tissue, the amplified phobias and obsessions can only be treated, not cured, and the drug is now in the water supply and food chain, meaning perfectly normal people can snap with enough stress and their murderous obsessions manifest, or they can turn "biter" which can be passed onto their victims through bodily fluids.

The story follows a police/military force 20 years after "the day" when things were supposed to be under control, funded by the disgraced drug company, headed by two veterans from the original event, one alcoholic who doesn't give a shit, and another that had almost all of his skin torn off by biters.

The first book is free so there's no reason not to download it and give it a try.

The Blade Itself Trilogy - Joe Abercrombie

Better than The Sword of Truth, and dare I say it, just as good, if not better in places (mainly story flow and character depth) than Game of Thrones, with some of the best characters (say one thing for) Logan Ninefingers (say he's a cunt) and Sand Dan Glotka.

Can't recommend it enough if you are into high fantasy swords and sworcery

I read those a couple of years ago and loved them. He's written another 3 in that series since I finished it, I think they're all standalone. I intend to pick those up soon.

Yeah I have read the others as well, forgot to list them, they are good as well, but other than the middle book (red country) I could take or leave them. They were good, but I didn't really enjoy the switch to minor characters.

Recently read:

The Bookman Histories -Lavie Tidhar

A fun sci-fi steampunk trilogy full of historical and literary characters, automatons, ninjas, spies, aliens and lots of other silly nonsense. Also book 3 starts in a secret village for retired intelligence agents and is like an OAP Bond movie. Awesome.

Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovich

I don't know what you'd call this... Urban Fantasy? But that just conjours images of all the books about vampires trying to cop off with each other that you see in Waterstones. It's not that.

A PC in the metropolitan police graduates his probationary period and discovers 'gods', ghosts, myths and figures from folklore are real as he joins the unit for maintaining an uneasy peace between various supernatural factions and the law, and investigation of crimes with a supernatural element.

Interesting story and very funny.

A PC in the metropolitan police graduates his probationary period and discovers 'gods', ghosts, myths and figures from folklore are real as he joins the unit for maintaining an uneasy peace between various supernatural factions and the law, and investigation of crimes with a supernatural element.

Interesting story and very funny.

So... the script for Hellboy 1, just without Hellboy?

Forgot to add in recently read:

DeathWorld - Harry Harrison

1960's sci-fi that appears to be a heavy influence for Avatar, I think James Cameron read this while his niece was watching Pocahontas and that's where he got the idea from.

Semi-telekinetic gambler takes on a high stakes gambling job for an ambassador for a backwater largely un-inhabited planet to raise money for weapons to try to control the N'avi "local wildlife". Guy wins money, travels to the planet full of hard knocks and the wildlife where "every living thing that crawls, flies or squats in the mud wants to kill you and eat your eyes for jujubees"

Thus begins the indoctrination by the military types, then he travels to the hippy side (except they aint blue cat people), then he is on his own trying to make peace, then there's the bit where he is on his own being attacked by alien dogs before being rescued by the hippies, then there's that bit where he convinces the hippies to attack the jocks, then all the animals attack the military complex Eywa heard you!, then there's the bit with the big transport ship, but it doesn't blow up.

It reads like an early Avatar script, but actually, this book is really good for the time, and there's quite a few bits of future tech that we have now.

Deathworld is great,I really like The Stainless Steel Rat stuff by Harry Harrison too.

John dies at the end-David Wong- Batshit mental at times, funny, and gory. I only found out there is also a film when I was halfway through, yarring it now and I can't wait to see it!

When Graveyards Yawn - The Apocalypse Trilogy Book 1 - G Wells Taylor

Weird book, a ghost with memory loss is attached to a private detective that dresses like a clown and has a zombie sidekick. The world has basically ended, nobody is born, nobody dies, the dead rise not long after death but are essentially the same, they just have to be more careful for their bodies. Ghost takes control of clown by making him horny while trying to solve crimes and find out how he died. Odd, random setting well written by this author, definitely buying the next in the series as it's so well written, even if the plot sounds bollocks.

The MistBourn Trilogy - Book 1- Brandon Sanderson

Generic troubled teenage waif meets generic edgy anarchistic magician that escaped the clutches of the evil oppressors that end up being not all that bad occasionally. Coming of age bollocks without any groping or smexy times, despite the obvious "we could be dead tomorrow" shit, must have been written by a woman under a male pseudonym. It's actually really good, even with the shit Superman-like powers, and the fact that nobody seems to get a boner and want to grope their love interest while their senses are amplified by digesting metal (the source of their magical powers), it's well written, with randomly designated mental problems, and is an easy read.

John dies at the end-David Wong- Batshit mental at times, funny, and gory. I only found out there is also a film when I was halfway through, yarring it now and I can't wait to see it!

I read it a couple of years ago, and loved it. I've got the sequel ready to go on my kindle http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Book-Full-Spiders-ebook/dp/B009RJTAGU/, though I might re-read John Dies at the End first.

I read it a couple of years ago, and loved it. I've got the sequel ready to go on my kindle http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Book-Full-Spiders-ebook/dp/B009RJTAGU/, though I might re-read John Dies at the End first.

I've grabbed the audiobook of that from Audible really looking forward to it. Watching the film of John dies tonight. I hope it's good!

I'm just reading/listening to Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. After a weird and slow start that nearly put me off I'm enjoying it more now.