Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest marthagogo

post when you read a book

Guest marthagogo
The Imago Sequence - Laird Barron - Hailed as the successor to H. P. Lovecraft but without the racism & with an eye patch. The 1st story "old virginia" is a fantastic read just incredible, real unnerving. his other stories carry themselves too but dont seem as good. the small links between them all are a nice touch.

Guest marthagogo

The Imago Sequence - Laird Barron.

The Man in the High Castle - Philip K. Dick. Well written and the usual style of ending for P. K. Dick novel. i could twitter on about this & that. a suprisingly easy read and well realised world.

The Reality Dysfunction - Peter F. Hamilton (Audiobook) -41 hours this monster took to listen too and although i hated it to start with i really got into it despite the ridiculous descriptives. just transferring the 2nd part to my mp3 player (another 41 hours!) still, was nice to listen to whilst driving to/from work or walking alone. Alot more organic that the void universe. id say its very marmite (which i used to hate too!)

Guest Cherry_Death

I havent been in this thread for a while but have just finished reading The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and it is simply fantastic. I urge anyone who likes a good read to give this a try.

I havent been in this thread for a while but have just finished reading The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and it is simply fantastic. I urge anyone who likes a good read to give this a try.

Yep, I am currently reading the second book, and it is very good. My only complaint, is that the protagonist is too perfect. It's just not believable.

Guest marthagogo

The Man in the High Castle - Philip K. Dick.

The Reality Dysfunction - Peter F. Hamilton (Audiobook)

The Neutronium Alchemist - Peter F. Hamilton (Audiobook) - another monster epic gazzilion hour one, went alot faster though, maybe because i enjoyed it alot more than the 1st and now cannot wait for the 3rd and final installment! i cant believe how much this has grown on me. still too much description of everything but really builds up nicely.

Blimey it's quiet this year.

I've read/listened to:

Odd Thomas

Forever Odd

Brother Odd

Odd Hours

all by Dean Koontz.

On the go I have Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stepehn King, and I keep trying to read the 1st Dragon Age novel but I can't get into it.

I haven't done a lot of reading recently. So far this year I've read:

Boneshaker - Cherie Priest

Carter Beats the Devil - Glen David Gold

Guards! Guards! - Terry Pratchett

Men at Arms - Terry Pratchett

Feet of Clay - Terry Pratchett

And probably a couple more I couldn't remember.

After those I decided to read something a bit more grown up:

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0230748694

It was touching and very interesting, but somewhat lacking in zombies, magic, airships and lazer guns.

Edited by The Penultimate Ninja

So I decided to read:

The Secret of Crickley Hall-James Herbert: A great ghost story, disturbing, not scary, but like most of Mr Herberts books, a great read.

Not sure what to read next. I looked at my bookshelf and I have more than a few unread.

Guest marthagogo

had that on audio "swish thwack!" was good.

I looked at my bookshelf and I have more than a few unread.

:P i see patterns emerging!

had that on audio "swish thwack!" was good.

:P i see patterns emerging!

Yeah I started to listen to it, but I'm off all week and can only listen to them when I'm driving or walking. I had the book anyway, so finished off the 2nd half the old fashioned way!

Yes, I do have a problem with buying things and never having the time for them all.... I am going to read a couple more books this week though for sure!

Let it be known: Patrick Ness is a terrible author. Do not read the Chaos Walking books.

Joined the local library and happened across the official sequel to Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's written by a descendant who also a Dracula historian (or milking his talented family member's legacy). First chapter is a terribly contrived attempt to recap the original book. I'm reading it to see just how bad it can get.

The Rats-James Herbert. Still an excellent book, but it was written in different times, and some parts now sound quite racist and sexist. On to Lair next.

The Rats-James Herbert. Still an excellent book, but it was written in different times, and some parts now sound quite racist and sexist. On to Lair next.

I read those when I was about 12 or 13, that was some pretty scary stuff back then. (also some sex scenes, which I may have re-read a couple of times...)

Guest marthagogo

The Reality Dysfunction - Peter F. Hamilton (Audiobook).

The Neutronium Alchemist - Peter F. Hamilton (Audiobook).

When It Changed - edited by Geoff Ryman: compendium of short stories by "well known" authors which have to kind of/be based on a current scientific favourite topic & each story has a brief (very brief/half hearted) blurb about the actual science from one of those real life "scientists" (it is actually really starting to grate on me how the word scientist has become like an uncorruptible honorific with all the shite that implies - what are you if your just a lab tech?).

anyway, aside from a couple of really good stories that could potentially be expanded into at least novellas, this is a mostly bland & po-faced affair with more than a whiff of it being up its own arse. if anyone wants it, let me know.

Edited by marthagogo

I just finished my first autobiography, the one about the Stig from Top Gear.

Good book if you like TG and cars, which I do, it was left with a question, so why did you leave TG, not really covered much.

I read those when I was about 12 or 13, that was some pretty scary stuff back then. (also some sex scenes, which I may have re-read a couple of times...)

Lair-James Herbert.

Yep, he does like his sex! I'm reading Domain, and there's an extremely vivdly described rape scene, that gets prematurely cut short due to the rats!

Martha - have you read the other Hamilton epic? There's the Commonwealth Saga and the Void Trilogy to get through. The Void trilogy is really good, but it's set in the universe of the Commonwealth Saga -- so I don't know how good the Void trilogy would be without having read the Commonwealth Saga.

And the Commonwealth Saga goes reallllly slow at the end, almost enough to make it not worth the effort.

Guest marthagogo

read the void trilogy but not the preceding one.

i really enjoyed the voids ones though (even withthe cop out ending).

will audio book the others when i get a chance but im thinking of going with the reith lectures now they are all available to download from the bbc.

Guest marthagogo

apparently he is doing a new novel set in the same universe as the reality dysfunction - set 500 years after the original trilogy - should be interesting.

Domain-James Herbert. Rats, Nuclear war and rape. Everything a good book should have.

I am Legend - Richard Matheson

Wow, this was far better than the movie, and what an ending!!

Guest marthagogo

The Reality Dysfunction - Peter F. Hamilton (Audiobook).

The Neutronium Alchemist - Peter F. Hamilton (Audiobook).

When It Changed - edited by Geoff Ryman.

The Naked God - Peter F. Hamilton - satisfactory ending to a massive trilogy i really didnt think i would stick at. all done its over 120 hours of audio with the 3. He did well with an ultimately believeably universe (eve though he still drones on about what people are eating and loads of other superfluous shite). given the ending, im very intrigued at what the possible new book set 500 years after these will be like.