Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RetroBob

Kotaku redesign

Guest SlyEnemy

See for yourself.

It's hideous!

I never really use Kotaku, and went on last night for the first time. Now I thought that this redesign was what it was normally like, and I ended up wondering how the fuck anyway finds what they want and why they even use it. Didn't realise I'd just checked it out after a redesign. It really is awful - You can't see where one article ends and an advert begins.

Meh, looks like a nice design to me. I hear that it fails to render correctly in Firefox, Chrome and Opera... only small markets, those, though.

Guest wholehole

I quite like them both, just took a while to get used to it. I've seen no problems with either site in Chrome or Firefox. I understand that loads of people are pissing and moaning about it across all of the Gawker sites, some even going as far as to leave the site entirely!

There's a solution for any website you dislike the design of if you run Chrome, iReader. Navigate to the page, give the iReader button a click and it presents just the main article content in a clean modal popup, darkening the background as well. I use it quite often if I just want to concentrate on the article itself and not get distracted by anything else on the page.

I quite like them both, just took a while to get used to it. I've seen no problems with either site in Chrome or Firefox. I understand that loads of people are pissing and moaning about it across all of the Gawker sites, some even going as far as to leave the site entirely!

Not surprised, I liked quickly scanning through absorbing headlines and I'd "middle click" on stuff I wanted to read more about. There is still a blog view option if you look for it though.

Seems like they went back to the old style now anyways...

Hmm, seems to just be the Canadian variation that hasn't switched over. Don't know why I'm getting directed to both versions when I use the same address though.

Edited by toneeblair

Seems like they went back to the old style now anyways...

Hmm, seems to just be the Canadian variation that hasn't switched over. Don't know why I'm getting directed to both versions when I use the same address though.

http://uk.kotaku.com/ doesn't use the new layout either.

Guest wholehole

If that's accurate i'm shocked, it's only the design that's changed, like it even matters that much. The content has stayed the exact same high quality it's always been and those people are the ones missing out by not reading it.

That might be the case, but I think people felt it wasn't accessible enough. Kotaku readers want short sharp headlines, who cares if it's even true.

Guest marthagogo

does anyone still look at kotsaku?

i used to when you still had the option to switch back to classic view but now thats gone i open it up & if there is nothing immediatley interesting there i close it.

im sure its still the same content but i cant be bothered.

i used to when you still had the option to switch back to classic view but now thats gone i open it up & if there is nothing immediatley interesting there i close it.

I never went there anyway, except for the odd hyperlink from other sites.

I don't know if this was specific to the redesign, but I noticed a lot of links to old articles just wouldn't work properly. and just go to the front page instead.

Anyway, I hardly ever follow links there either now.

Guest wholehole

I never stopped reading. Their articles are very well written and there's a great deal of variety in their content that other sites just don't have. There's always something good to read on there if you take the time.

I view all my news via Google Reader anyway so the site design never really bothered me all that much. Checking actual sites is so 5 years ago :A009:

apparently I can't 'like' wholey's post. But I do.

I'm such a rebel.

Anyway, yeah I like reading up on kotaku, it passes the time on my morning commute, and it's not like there's much conversation goint on here at the moment is there?