Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RetroBob

Thinking about cancelling my GamesTM subscription

I've been thinking about cancelling my subscription to GamesTM. I've been a subscriber ever since issue 2 having excitedly picked up issue 1 when I saw it had a dedicated retro section. It was thanks to this that I started playing current gen games again and I bought an Xbox, then a Game Cube and GameBoy Advance SP. I don't know if the mag has changed, or me (probably both now I re read through what I've put), but I just feel less bothered about reading it. I'll go for ages and then realise I've got three or four issues to read through and then when I do, much of it feels like a chore.

I do like the correspondents… The Shape, weird veggie Tim the Japanese correspondent who is now based in America (!?), and Howard Scott Warshaw is brilliant in the Retro section. It's just the rest of the mag that doesn't grab me. The interviews at the beginning just are a bit meh, don't like the layout and can't be arsed reading them. Then it's previews, mostly games I'm not bothered about, will read one or two but that's really it. Then there's the features… which are mostly extended previews masking themselves as a feature and then a genuine feature which often can't be arsed to read or if I do I end up falling asleep (I read in bed). These days I can get the gist of a story from reading the headline on Kotaku and not even need to bother clicking through unless it's something I'm interested in... am I too lazy or too short of time? Both?

Retro Gamer on the other hand, (another mag I've subscribed to since issue 2) is completely the opposite, I look forward to reading it, it is vibrant, has personality and doesn't take itself too seriously. Plus if I get behind an issue or two it's not the end of the world, i.e. it doesn't go wildly out of date. I genuinely love this mag and was really pleased to see they won an award for 2010 best games magazine(or whatever it was called). Aping old style mags they name the staff, you feel like you get to know them, it's the opposite of GamesTM which I feel is a bit soulless.

Anyway, most of us have read the mag, heck this is why the forum was started in the first place (when the Totalgames.net forum which had a special GamesTM section went down for an extended period) – so what do you guys think about the state of the mag? Do you still read it, if so, why or why did you stop?

Guest FolkoRoco

I still read it and look forward to it arriving each month, and as I have every issue I doubt I'll ever cancel it as it would be destroying a complete colection! (Besides a gift subscription gives my Mum something to get me for Christmas each year)

I do like the features they run as they are often more in depth than things you find online, but the reviews I barely read at all now as by the time the magazine comes out I have already seen enough citical oppinion on a game online.

£4.50 is a bit steep though for something you don't enjoy all that much - thats 2 new games a year worth of magazine!

If you don't read it, cancel it.

That's if you can fight the completist impulse that Folko points out...

Guest marthagogo

cancelled it ages ago (i think its 2 years thi year or something).

reasons:

1. as a non uk sub it was always late.

2. the stuff in it was always out of date.

3. alot of shit i didnt read.

4. anything to do with games im interested in i can find in 2 second online.

5. it kind of irritated me to read about stuff id never get to play.

6. ive become a very focused gamer (time constraints again is it?) - ill hear about a game that will interest me, wait the months year for it to come close to release, read reviews (online - journo ones & proper gamer ones) and then decide if ill go for it (inless its a very very special game - you know what i mean).

im just not interested in:

articles about people who make games.

previews which are basically based on at most a few hours of play of a game that is still months from release.

any game im not interested in

letters from reader (although used to love them)

erm, basically most of any given magazine.

is that bad?

Looks like I agree with martha, I'm not interested in arties about people who make games, weird CIA it's ok on podcasts, prob cos they have more personality.

Guest marthagogo

wierdly, the things i miss most from gtm are letter fromamerica & tim rogers but i hear he is gone from there now.

Yeah I'm sure I saw that he dropped it in at the very end of a column, but the next one I read had him in so maybe I read then out of order (not my intention).

Had another flick through at lunch, I do like having a nice physical magazine to peruse. I might give them another month.

I too have every issue, and there's always something in it that interests me, but I do find I don't always have time to read it as throughly as I'd like.

This and Retro Gamer are the only mags I read.

Buy it occasionally but haven't subscribed for around 3 years. Generally read online these days

I gave up on Gtm years ago, just after the redesign. Thought the writing was becoming soulless and they'd lost their sense of fun, and the fact that it looked different was the final straw. I only read RG now, which is the total opposite.

Guest Cherry_Death

I very very rarely (never) read games mags anymore but the cover on the new issue of Gtm is lovely (Pikachu with lots of Japanese writing).

Guest BattleMonkey

This new issue also has a rather nice section about lots of the great games coming up this year. I don't read as much of the mag as I used to, but I still find it invaluable to keep track on what's coming out and note games I want to keep an eye on.

Guest TwinHype

bump, also I too am getting to the end of my tether with GamesTM. The recent DS vs VITA piece basically just talked about all of the problems the 3DS supposedly has and the Vita section was all about how it didn't have any of those problems and was much better, all under the guise of unbiased assistance for the consumer. They've moved so far into Sony's camp that I find it difficult to value their credibility as journalists. They have lost their sense of fun and it all seems like a pompous chore for them. Oh well, one last shot and I'm gonna call it then.

I thought issue 115 was one of the best for a while.

It's the only one in about a year I've read cover to cover.

Twin, you'll be alright with issue 115's cover at least! After starting this thread I decided to stick with mine and I'm enjoying reading the mag again, reviews as still largely irrelevant though.

Guest TwinHype

Twin, you'll be alright with issue 115's cover at least! After starting this thread I decided to stick with mine and I'm enjoying reading the mag again, reviews as still largely irrelevant though.

yeah that was a pretty sweet cover!!

Guest clairebear

I read games tm from day one, I've long stopped subscribing to it though. Like everyone else I don't care about old fart men making games and I don't really understand the specs of new consoles.

I still buy on the odd occasion but it's not read cover to cover like I used to.