795 replies to this topic

#781 Mr Rich

Mr Rich

God made me

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,214 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

The thing with exercise is that, well this is the argument the guy who wrote the book makes, if that you have to do so much to lose weight that it won't take you the whole way to losing weight.    Basically each pound of fat in your body contains around 3,500 calories in energy.  Only so much of the exercise you do burns fat as energy, so that for the average man eating a normal diet (which contains still quite a lot of carbs) you would have to run 40 miles a week just to lose one pound of fat.  If you've cut carbs right down in your diet it will accelerate a little more than that, but probably to only around 1.5 pounds in a week. 

Most people who do three gym sessions a week of an hour at a time, will probably only be losing around 0.1 pounds or less basically through physical exertion.

Most weeks I do at least 3-4 hours of pretty hardcore training, and I have never lost weight through exercise.  It was only previously when I stopped drinking beer and stuff like that that I lost weight.   Which is why people think they're losing weight through exercise when they do it, because when you often cut down on cakes and alcohol when you go on a health drive.  If you are just going to the gym every week and not changing your diet, you don't lose weight.

"The only truths are; there is no such thing as a wank or bum baby." - Marthagogo

#782 Mr Rich

Mr Rich

God made me

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,214 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

He gave pretty compelling arguments for it, giving evidence about Inuit communities that existing solely on fatty meat and blubber, and never ate any vegetables, and these people had virtually no cancers, no heart diseases, were slim, low body fat.  As soon as they started eating western foods containing sugar, bread etc, they got fat.  Also this is his evidence for why obesity occurs in Western society more often than not in poorer communities.   Because cheaper food tends to be carb heavy (potatoes, rice, bread, sugary food) and protein is more often than not consumed in larger quantities by more affluent people.

His list of foods of the devil consist of:

Bread (any kind, although white is worse)

Rice (Again white is worse)

Any Sugar (again, white is worse) in any form, Dextrose, Sucralose, Fructose, Agave Nectar, (again, white is worse), high fructose corn syrup, maple syrup, brown sugar, mollases etc etc

Potatoes and most root vegetables

Sauces like Ketchup, Brown Sauce

Anything that has added sugar

Anything that is listed as low fat.

What's fine, which feels weird to say, is mayo (full fat with no added sugar), salad dressings like ceasar, blue cheese (as long as no sugar added) most non-processed cheeses (but only around 4 cubic inches a day), fatty meats like bacon and sausage, eggs, green veg (although not too much as they are mostly carbs), virtually any meat.

You shouldn't apparently try and eat like 90% protein in a day and keep it low fat and low carb, as this is toxic for us, we need the fats coming in from somewhere.  Be it from an avacado or some bacon.

"The only truths are; there is no such thing as a wank or bum baby." - Marthagogo

#783 Mystic

Mystic

Lick the Candy

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts
  • Interests:Beer and Sex ... though the former usually leads to lack of the latter!

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

Sounds like the paleo/ "caveman" diet.
Shinpad Shepard

#784 Pedro

Pedro

MY FIGHT MONEY!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

I can't help but feel you're thinking a bit differently. [EDIT: my apologies, Rich.. I didn't quite read what you wrote correctly- disregard this]. Body Mass shouldn't be the issue. Body shape and internal health should be. It's great that you're shifting the body fat, but you shouldn't be worried too much about what is 'Obese' in the current form.

In my current condition I am clinically heavily overweight. Not calculating body fat % or muscle mass. However, I am far from out of shape, and stupidly healthy aside from this fucking sugar addiction I can't seem to shake.

I personally subscribe to the mixture of blood pressure, vo2 max and hip:waist ratio as a measure of health. You exercise, you gain mass, sure, but good mass, in the right places. An overweight rugby player is always healthier than a low calorie consuming desk clerk.

Edited by Pedro, 09 January 2014 - 11:54 AM.

#785 Mr Rich

Mr Rich

God made me

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,214 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

Yeah he referenced it in his book, but only in the appendix as it's a relatively new idea.  He said that the problem with Paleo is that it's based on what a cave man in theory would have eaten back in those times.  For example, a naturally growing Orange back in those days would only have been in season for short periods of time, and it depended on where you lived in the world.  So certain foods you would not have had all year round, and plus chances are something like an orange would in those days been far more bitter, smaller and contained way less sugar.  Most oranges we have now have been specifically cross bred and engineered to be sweeter/juicier than anything that would have existed even 2000 years ago.

In the UK, the only fruits that would have occurred naturally would again be seasonal, like Apples and berries, so we would have only had access to them for short periods.

And Ped.... yeah that would be the case, but currently my body fat is running at 30%, so I'm not exactly at the moment an overweight rugby player, I'm just overweight with the stomach to match.

If you think that if I can shift 10% of body fat to bring it under 20%, that would essentially be nearly 10% of my total weight at the moment, which would equate to around 2 stone.  More healthy would be 15% and under.  If I can get to 15% that would mean I'll have lost around 40 pounds, meaning I'd weight 15 stone.  Wouldn't be too shabby.  I weighed 14 stone when I was at uni.

Edited by Mr Rich, 09 January 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#786 Ginja

Ginja

Mehathon!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,679 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:49 PM

I've been steadily gaining weight too since July. I stopped exercising, the Friday night pizza as a treat became Tuesdays too( Lous is out so it's easy just to slam that in the oven). I was drinking too much, a chocolate bar a day, cake when I got home. After all that came Christmas...!

Fast Forward to New Years Day and I hit 14 st 2. Same time last year I was 13 :(

Anyway today after 1 week of healthy eating, lots of steamed veg, grilled chicken, fish etc and cutting out the crap I'm down to 13st 10 and now the real pain begins as I'm going back to exercising regularly. I was 15 and half at my heaviest a few years back and swore I'd never get that big again, but this was a wake up call!

My knee is playing up again so I'm going to start with cycling and weights, then move on to running. I'd like to get into a really nice toned shape by August as we're off to Turkey(all inclusive) for 11 days and then straight on to Reading Festival for 4 so no doubt I'll be a bit chunkier at the end of that!!

Anyways good luck to us all.

- it's a playground, but one where the slide jerks you off while the swings explode.

Posted Image

#787 Mr Rich

Mr Rich

God made me

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,214 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:53 PM

11 pounds down now in two weeks. 17 stone 8 now. I've decided to aim for 15 stone by June, which is another 36 pounds to go.

Funny thing is, I haven't been to the gym once in 10 days.

Amazing that since I decided to do this the negative press sugar is getting. Very odd timing.

#788 Mr Rich

Mr Rich

God made me

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,214 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

This morning 17 stone 5.5 lbs. amazing really.

Decided a goal of 15 stone. Finally been getting back to the gym too to help tone. Spin Tuesday morning, Pilates yesterday for the first time in 5 weeks, gym again this morning.

#789 Tachikoma

Tachikoma

Nishishishi

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,481 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

I would disagree with the diet advice in that book. I was going to the gym or running at least 3 times a week. My diet was probably 50% carbs, 30% protein and the rest was fruit/veg with very little fat. I was losing weight and putting on muscle perfectly fine. Didn't have any problems with energy or blood sugar. As soon as I moved in with the Mrs and started eating cheese and meat every day the weight piled on.

#790 Mr Rich

Mr Rich

God made me

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,214 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

Well I've been eating nothing but meat, cheese,
Fish, vegetables, eggs. I didn't even go to the gym in two weeks and lost 12 pounds. So explain that one.

The real thing it's cutting out is sugar. It's amazing really when you buy prepared stuff how much sugar it actually contains. If the carbs contain dietary fibre you can discount it, but yeah, sugar is the major one.

#791 Tachikoma

Tachikoma

Nishishishi

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,481 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

My sister lost about 4st on slimming world, she spent most of her points each day on meringue nests, I shit you not she ate two boxes of 8 nests large nests a day and then pasta in the evening. Her diet was almost all sugar but went to the gym or running with me. Diets don't work the same for each person, my body doesn't get on with meat, I just don't get on with it and never have so I avoid it whenever possible.

#792 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,960 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

So how is everyone doing?

I went to the docs this morning as I've had pain in the base of my back for a few days. Squats without warm ups ffs. Schoolboy error.

On the plus side, the nurse was all like 'Do you play rugby? You're well buff' (she was about 50 though so it didn't get sexy). Also got weighed at 13St 4lb which is just shy of the heaviest I've ever been.

Now I can't do anything till my back sorts out, and I'm at work wacked on codeine. Good times.

#793 Papa

Papa

Where's the beach?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,403 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:52 PM

I have put on a stone and am up at 12 stone. I was due to run a half-marathon last weekend, but overdid the training and gave myself shinsplints. I have been very careful with my eating though and did 10k on the bike today, so I should be able to get back down to 11 stone for swimsuit season. 

Posted Image

#794 Mystic

Mystic

Lick the Candy

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts
  • Interests:Beer and Sex ... though the former usually leads to lack of the latter!

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

Is that extra weight muscle, Jim?
Shinpad Shepard

#795 Papa

Papa

Where's the beach?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,403 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

I would like to think so, but I doubt it.  :A082:

Posted Image

#796 The Penultimate Ninja

The Penultimate Ninja

That's levitation, homes!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

I've put a bit of weight on since last sunmer, up to nearly 14 stone due to eating rubbish, mostly. But I have been going to the gym regularly for over a year, so I'm simultaneously fatter and fitter.
Posted Image
360 - Craymen Edge // PS3 - CraymenEdge // Steam - CraymenEdge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users