33 replies to this topic

#21 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,083 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:52 AM

Resident Evil 7 - PC. My second time through. I still think it's an amazing game, but it felt so short on a second run through!

Spoiler

#22 toneeblair

toneeblair

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:48 PM

Spoiler

Mario Odyssey (Switch) - 2017 - 4/5

Strong start to the year! I finally pried the Switch from my wife's Stardew vice grip and polished off the campaign for Mario. First 3D Mario game I've sunk into in... ever? It didn't pull me in as much as Breath of the Wild did, but still a fantastic slice of game.

848380.png
- My name is feared in every dirty corner of this island! -

#23 Ginja

Ginja

Mehathon!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:17 PM

Spoiler

Journey-PS4- Had a couple of hours to spare this morning as I was on call. Still excellent and I'd forgotten most of it since I haven't played it since it was first released on the PS3.

- it's a playground, but one where the slide jerks you off while the swings explode.

Posted Image

#24 Ginja

Ginja

Mehathon!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:04 AM

Spoiler

The Walking Dead S3 E3-PS4- Story still gripping, love the flashbacks.

- it's a playground, but one where the slide jerks you off while the swings explode.

Posted Image

#25 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,083 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:48 AM

Shadow of the Colossus - PS4. The greatest remake ever. It makes the game even better than it already was. Wonderful stuff.

Spoiler

#26 Pedro

Pedro

MY FIGHT MONEY!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:00 AM

Journey - PS4

Wolfenstein: The New Order (Death Incarnate) - PS4: Bloody hell, this was hard. But great fun. Thanks to Ginj for the recommendation, otherwise I wouldn't have picked this up. Great storyline, and once you get used to the gunplay it works well. Only gripe is pressing x for picking up items- thought we might have moved on from that. 

Anyway, a big challenge of a game is done. probably better than I did most of last year!

#27 Ginja

Ginja

Mehathon!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:17 AM

o/

Posted Image

#28 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,083 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:33 AM

Zombi - PS4. I really like this game. It's clunky and low budget, but also tense as fuck.

Spoiler

#29 Ginja

Ginja

Mehathon!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:35 PM

Zombi - PS4. I really like this game. It's clunky and low budget, but also tense as fuck.

One of the reasons I bought a WiiU was for this game. Still haven't played it...

Posted Image

#30 Smurph

Smurph

Sarge

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:48 PM

Raiden V (PS4)
Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4) Has to be one of my favourite open world games of all time. So many cool things I could mention but the story, and the answers you get are incredibly satisfying. Amazing game (and about 2 months of solid content!)

Edited by Smurph, 20 February 2018 - 10:48 PM.

#31 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,774 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:25 AM

Celeste - Switch

Bayonetta - Switch - Not as good as I remember it being. It's too disjointed. It's rare that you get to just enjoy a bunch of encounters in a row, there's always a rubbish platforming bit, or a long cutscene or a gimmicky one off section in between that hurts the game's pacing. The worst are the scripted sequences which instakill you if you get them wrong, or the twist fights where a mechanic is introduced and rarely seen again. On top of that, many enemies like Kinships are just irritating to fight and feel like a novelty encounter every time you get to one. There's 2 entire chapters of novelty encounter in the bike and space harrier chapters. The game is at its best with the regular enemies and you just fighting them, but it feels like there's so much fluff in between them. And because of that, it underuses a lot of enemies anyway, there's several enemy types you'll see only 3-4 times in the entire game, despite just being standard mobs.

It's also a relic of the "aren't QTEs GREAT?!" era, but doesn't even use them consistently. There's something like 4-5 QTEs across the entire game which come out of nowhere, have a tiny window to hit them and instant kill you if you miss them. There's one in chapter 2 after you kill the boss for example which kills you half way through the cutscene, which is just stupid because it resets you to after the fight anyway then strips a level off your end of stage rank as punishment. On a similar topic, the game loves to hit you with cheap shots out of cutscenes. Several enemies are introduced by having you need to dodge within a frame or two of a cutscene ending or you get hit, and a few more then make it so if you dodge straight away you'll get hit, because they now delay it by a moment instead. It's cheap.

There's a lot of asset reuse, some places are used upwards of 4 times in the game but with a different skin on. But all the skins come in colours of either grey or brown, and when they don't, they're so unsaturated they might as well be grey anyway. There's a real lack of colour in the game that's typical of early-mid 360/PS3 era games. The camera is utterly dreadful as well, there were a few fights where the game was just aggresively pulling the camera away from enemies/bosses so it could look at a wall or something instead.

I had fun with it, but it's not as good as I remember it being. I'm 2 stages into Bayonetta 2 and it's just a million times better, despite being a step back in terms of combat depth.

#32 Somerset_Bumkin

Somerset_Bumkin

It's all in the reflexes

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,782 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:32 AM

Thats weird, I picked this off the shelf yesterday to replay as I never got very far the first time.
It's all in the reflexes.

#33 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,774 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:34 PM

Ah, I'm revisiting both as part of the Switch rerelease!

#34 Shufty

Shufty

Xylophonic Buggerist

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:51 PM

Finding 2 better all round, challenging but not as exacting as the first one.

Captain Birdseye was a paedophile. "Now son, do you want some of my special cod?"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users