22 replies to this topic

#1 Pedro

Pedro

MY FIGHT MONEY!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:17 PM

God, I think this game actually plays worse than the original.

The first hour squeezes about as much trope as you can stand. Unless there is a massive twist that I didn't get to because I switched the demo off, there is absolutely bugger all originality to it.

Tepid tutorial section? Check.
Nothing-is-as-it-seems science laboratory? Check. Zzz...
Science experiment goes wrong? Check. At this point I looked at the menu to see if I wasn't playing half-life.
'You-must-escape-if-you-want-to-survive' radio comm savior? Check. Ffs..
First weapon being some kind of blunt instrument? Check. OH COME ON.

The Jump scares of the mimics don't even work.

At least the 2005 original was just that. This is just terrible. The graphics don't even stand out.

#2 Somerset_Bumkin

Somerset_Bumkin

It's all in the reflexes

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:56 PM

Good review!
It's all in the reflexes.

#3 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:01 PM

Heard the PS4 version is full of input lag as well.

In any case it's no relation to the other Prey game, the trademark was just free and they decided to use it.

#4 Idaho

Idaho

cunt

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,157 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:30 PM

Downloading it now. I was looking forward to it... Was...

#5 Idaho

Idaho

cunt

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,157 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:20 AM

Well I gave it a go and I reckon Pete was riding around on his pessimist bike, or his scathing hatred lowered my standards.

Graphically it reminded me of Dishonoured with it's sort of realistic but sort of not type feel but it is the same developer.

I actually quite liked the "peak behind the curtain" when the illusion breaks down.  Also thought the intro credits were quite clever too.  I never really played the original Half-life though so maybe that's a contributing factor.  Also I was a bit pissed when I played it so I'll try it again sober.

Have to admit as it didn't grab me in a huge way

#6 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:46 PM

Yeah, I mostly agree. There's nothing inherently wrong with a science experiment gone wrong setting, and it's barely on the same page as Half-Life's setup, let alone similar. Similarly, trope-y mysterious labs might be tropey but done well, they're enjoyable, and this one's done quite well.

As for the guy on the radio, well, the dev team is like half the guys who did System Shock so they did kind of invent that at least. It's stretching at best to use "the first weapon is a melee weapon" as a criticism as well.

Main problem I had with it playing on a mate's PS4 was that it controls like utter shit, but doubt the PC will have those issues. It's not at all like Half Life, it's very clearly aping Bio/System Shock, which most of these devs worked on.

And yeah, wouldn't call the crappy 2005 fps the original or anything like that... It's got no relation at all outside of a name. I'll wait for reviews of the PC version.

Edited by Duffman, 04 May 2017 - 01:49 PM.

#7 Idaho

Idaho

cunt

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,157 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:16 PM

I payed it again while sober and it was alright.  I feel like this is going to be like mad max was; a solid 7/10 that I pick up for cheap and is actually pretty good.

#8 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:51 AM

I've spent a few hours with the PC version and I think it's genuinely rather great. Unless it goes off a cliff in terms of quality I think this'll get a lot of very positive reviews. It's a much better System Shock successor than Bioshock ever dreamed of being.

#9 Pedro

Pedro

MY FIGHT MONEY!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:55 PM

I still stand by what I said. Tried it again, definitely not for me :(.

I just thought we had moved on with games in terms of what this provides in the first hour. Yes, Melee weapon as a first weapon is a valid criticism and definitely not stretching. Especially if said weapon had no particular 'oomph' to it. Felt fluffy, if anything, and definitely not rewarding. You do a Melee weapon, you have to get the aesthetic right too.

The music also screwed everything, both times I played it. How do I know there's something in the room? Ah yes, because the music is suddenly screaming out. Turn around, see mimic, jump scare nulled, wap-wap with the fluffy-wrench and move on. Repeat.

#10 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

Music is bugged in the demo from what I hear. It's fine in the PC version. The mimics work far better as a result because there's literally no inidication that there would be one in the same room as you until it moves within your field of view, so the jumps work excellently now.

Maybe it's just not your kind of game? I've put a few hours into it now and it's the System Shock successor I always wanted, unlike Bioshock which just kind of half arsed it and became a shooter instead.

I think we have different opinions on how good it is that games have moved on, per se - as all I've noticed in terms of games moving on is that games like this are increasingly rare, because to me progress in AAA releases has generally meant moving backward and stripping away interesting features, complexity and faith in the player's ability to find their own way in favour of a heavily railroaded and micromanaged experience.

If you take something like Doom. In Doom you had to chase down keycards for locked doors in labyrinthian maps. That grew and grew into stuff like Half-Life. And that's where it peaked really. Since then everything that required the player to take control has been gradually stripped away. When Doom 2016 came out last year and had you chase down the red keycard for the red door, it was almost like a fucking revelation in gameplay design. To me, going back 20 years in gameplay design these is often like opening a portal to when games weren't patronising as hell toward players.

The very fact that it is so reminiscent of its inspirations is why I love it so far. I love that you can stumble across areas you *really* aren't supposed to be in yet and if you're feeling brave can try and sneak through anyway. There's a feeling of freedom that few games even try to provide any more. I'm loving having to scour the environment from top to bottom for key codes, clues, hidden switches and routes and so on rather than just blasting through mindlessly without a second thought. It's really quite unique these days when most games are constrained and micro managed with no room for experimentation.

The design of the station so far is really excellent. It feels like it could exist, but still flows together so naturally from a gameplay standpoint. You can wander about exploring after coming across a locked door and end up on the other side later without feeling railroaded there, because there's any number of other ways you could have gotten in. One room I got in by smashing a window and shooting a nerf dart at a computer screen to unlock the door. There's so much stuff you can do that feels like you're cheating or doing stuff a way that couldn't possibly have been intended, but every time it turns out that they took that into account too.

On the wrench, it's not so bad. It feels shit on the PS4 demo I think because the controls are the worst pad FPS controls I've seen Killzone 2. Not sure if they fixed that too for retail, but on the PC it's not an issue at all. It's got quite a satisfying thunk when you hit stuff, and the charged attack feels like a big hit. First person melee is very difficult to get right and while it's not exactly Chivalry, it's decent. 

Edited by Duffman, 23 May 2017 - 06:41 PM.

#11 Shufty

Shufty

Xylophonic Buggerist

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:27 PM

Sounds up my street but I'll wait for more reviews to hit. Bethesda's review code policy is cack.

Captain Birdseye was a paedophile. "Now son, do you want some of my special cod?"

#12 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

Finished this after about 25 hours according to Steam. Thought it was a fantastic tribute to the old immersive sim genre. The station was fantastically designed and opens up beautifully as you play it. The zero grav stuff is so much fun. The alien powers are great. Tons of hidden secrets. It's happy to leave you to your own devices and go explore for lengthy periods of time. Choices feel meaningful without being overbearing. Excellent atmosphere.

Doesn't have a ton of originality but games in this genre are so few and far between I don't really care. The things that are its own ideas are generally done very well, I particularly liked how you could use security stations to mark the locations of missing crew on your HUD and find them (or their tracking bracelets, on some occasions).

Main complaint is that it could have done with a few more weapons for variety's sake and that it got a little bit easy toward the end when I was basically an unstoppable killing machine.

Really though, it's basically the game Bioshock could have been.

#13 Shufty

Shufty

Xylophonic Buggerist

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:47 PM

Really enjoying this, does nothing new but the way it's put together is excellent.

Captain Birdseye was a paedophile. "Now son, do you want some of my special cod?"

#14 Shufty

Shufty

Xylophonic Buggerist

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:09 PM

I'm a bloody sucker for jump scares, this game hasn't really been doing them apart from one bit which completely took me by surprise but it had led me by the hand into triggering it. Very well done.

#15 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,976 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:18 PM

This is next on my pile. Looking forward to it.

#16 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:47 AM

I'm a bloody sucker for jump scares, this game hasn't really been doing them apart from one bit which completely took me by surprise but it had led me by the hand into triggering it. Very well done.

Green dot?

#17 Shufty

Shufty

Xylophonic Buggerist

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:10 PM

Green dot?

Yup.

#18 Papa

Papa

Where's the beach?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,650 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:27 PM

I finished this over the weekend. I really like it, and genuinely couldn't put it down. I would agree that it gets potentially a little easy towards the end, and it got to point where I just charged through old areas rather bother fighting, as I had already cleaned out the story elements, and that is the bit I really liked. 

Spoilers for the ending below..

Spoiler

#19 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,707 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:33 PM

Spoilery things:

Spoiler

Edited by Duffman, 23 May 2017 - 06:34 PM.

#20 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,976 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:46 PM

This isn't really grabbing me at all after 4 hours or so. If I get sent to another locked door or vent, only to have to backtrack to find a key card or some other pointless filler I'll fucking kick it in its 2006 designed teeth.

Got bored and went back to Witcher 3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users