Spreadsheet Enthusiast

• Retro Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,791 posts
  • Interests:Gravity

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:11 AM

Apple Threatens to close Itunes Store

Posted Image

Apple is threatening to close the iTunes store over a possible royalty hike.

The National Music Publishers' Association, which represents the interests of music makers and songwriters in the U.S., wants rates to be increased 9 cents to 15 cents, which represents a 66 percent rise.
"If [iTunes] was forced to absorb any increase in the ... royalty rate, the result would be to significantly increase the likelihood of the store operating at a financial loss -- which is no alternative at all," iTunes vice president Eddy Cue said.

ZOMG, I'm gonna have to start downloading music illegally again.

Apple Threatens to Close iTunes Store Over Royalties [foxnews]

Thanks to Bryan, who once downloaded a song illegally but then felt bad about it and gave a streetcorner musician a dollar.

Raptr Gamercard

#3 SlyEnemy

SlyEnemy

Spreadsheet Enthusiast

• Retro Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,791 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:16 AM

Nowt to see here.

Edited by SlyEnemy, 06 October 2008 - 09:24 AM.

Raptr Gamercard

#4 Tachikoma

Tachikoma

Nishishishi

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,198 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:55 PM

A council in Wales has banned pupils at 51 schools from having Marmite on toast for breakfast.

They say the move - which puts them firmly on the hate side of the "Love it or hate it" debate - is because the 100-year-old product contains too much salt.

Marmite used to be served along with jams and marmalade at all of the school breakfast clubs run by Ceredigion Council but now it has disappeared.

A spokesperson for the council said the clubs were there to improve the health and concentration of children and anything served must be healthy and nutritionally balanced.

He added that Marmite had been removed from the menu because it includes a high level of salt ... not just because he hates it.
On the Marmite website, the health properties of the product are touted: "It's because we add a special vitamin blend to Marmite, enhancing the naturally nutritious yeast that's already there, that you can be sure Marmite's good for you."
A council in Wales has banned pupils at 51 schools from having Marmite on toast for breakfast.

They say the move - which puts them firmly on the hate side of the "Love it or hate it" debate - is because the 100-year-old product contains too much salt.

Marmite used to be served along with jams and marmalade at all of the school breakfast clubs run by Ceredigion Council but now it has disappeared.

A spokesperson for the council said the clubs were there to improve the health and concentration of children and anything served must be healthy and nutritionally balanced.

He added that Marmite had been removed from the menu because it includes a high level of salt ... not just because he hates it.
On the Marmite website, the health properties of the product are touted: "It's because we add a special vitamin blend to Marmite, enhancing the naturally nutritious yeast that's already there, that you can be sure Marmite's good for you."

Source: Dunno, was mailed around in work.

PC Gone Mad!

I assume they will be getting rid of salk shakers in the canteen, chips, egg, meat, fish, etc etc as they are all "bad" in excess.

#5 SlyEnemy

SlyEnemy

Spreadsheet Enthusiast

• Retro Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,791 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:02 PM

Humans Versus Zombies becomes the number one game on Campus

Posted Image

Apparently Human Vs. Zombie Tag (HvZ) is a growing trend on college campuses.

An HvZ game typically involves hundreds of students and runs 24 hours a day for days on end; dwindling numbers of humans try to fend off and outlast growing legions of zombies.
The rules are fundamentally simple: Zombie tags human, human becomes a zombie. Unlike movie zombies, with shambling walks and undead makeup, zombies in the game just wear headbands to distinguish them from armband-wearing humans. And they are free to sprint.

If you're a human, you can "stun" zombies for 15 minutes by hitting them with a Nerf gun or balled up sock (preferably stuffed with pennies). I dunno about all that, but, for the sake of unbiased reporting, I suppose I'll have to play before passing judgment.

UPDATE: I bit some bitch's arm off! Good times!

Hit the jump for a video of a game that actually made me feel embarrassed for the guy talking.

Raptr Gamercard

#6 Tachikoma

Tachikoma

Nishishishi

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,198 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:29 PM

Nerf... FFS, at least fill a super soaker with turps and strap a Zippo to the front of it to make a rudamentary flamethrower!

#7 Sly Reflex

Sly Reflex

If this is Heaven, I'm gonna give Hell a quick once over!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,500 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:43 PM

Why did we get the Marmite news twice in one quote? :A059:

#8 Tachikoma

Tachikoma

Nishishishi

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,198 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:50 PM

Just how it was copied and pasted, too lazy to edit it.

#9 Bondy

Bondy

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:04 AM

Ketchup's biting the dust, too.

http://news.bbc.co.u...les/7665781.stm

Tomato ketchup is the latest foodstuff to be banned from canteens at some schools as part of a move towards healthier eating.

Bought-in bottles are off the menu at Vale of Glamorgan primary schools and one parent called the move "daft".

The council said the policy is not to use "mass-produced foods," but produce fresh food on the premises.

It follows news Marmite has been banned from Ceredigion's school breakfast clubs due to worries over salt content.

Sharon Chapman, 47, whose eight-year-old son Rory attends Peterston-Super-Ely Primary School in the Vale of Glamorgan, said: "He came home from school and said 'We can't have ketchup any more'.

"He can live without it and the healthy meals at the school are fantastic, but this seems one step too far as they only used to have it once a week on a burger anyway. Now he says the burger is really dry.

"Tomato ketchup contains lycopene, which is good for you, but they say it's got a high level of salt and sugar.

"While it's not something you complain about, it seems a bit daft."

Vale of Glamorgan Council leader Gordon Kemp said: "The policy is not to use mass-produced foods, we produce everything fresh on the premises.

'Balanced and healthy'

"It's all part of the healthy eating programme and I think our council is one of the leading authorities in Wales in this respect."

Mary Hesford, business manager for Vale Catering Services which provides the primary schools' menu, said they followed guidelines from the Welsh Assembly Government.

She told the South Wales Echo: "Children can have a tomato sauce but now it's one our cooks make themselves. By using home-made sauce we can control what nutrients are in there.

"Ketchup bought in bottles can have high levels of salt and sugar that could be damaging for the children."

A Welsh Assembly Government spokeswoman said: "We do not tell local authorities not to serve ketchup in schools. Our guidance on school lunches is not that prescriptive.

"It is for local authorities to ensure that their school meals are as balanced and healthy as possible."

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

#10 The Penultimate Ninja

The Penultimate Ninja

That's levitation, homes!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:37 PM

Mmmmm, Kebabs....

A catering boss has been banned from working with food after he was caught making kebabs while a workmate lay dead in the same room on a sofa.

Jaswinder Singh, 45, continued cooking while surrounded by flies at the Pappu Sweet Centre & Catering in Wolverhampton despite the sudden death of one of his colleagues.

He was given a life ban from working in the food industry at Wolverhampton Magistrates' Court.

District Judge Martin Brown said: 'The facts in this case are extraordinarily serious, they are about as grave as one might get in such a case.'

Singh was caught cooking beside the dead worker in August by a police officer investigating the employee's death. The officer closed the premises immediately.

Police were called after reports of the sudden death, which was not found to be suspicious.

The premises was in a filthy condition - a dead rat was found under a pan in the kitchen, food was mouldy and staff were smoking and spitting on the floor.

The business was infested with rodents - droppings and gnawed ingredients were found.

As well as being banned from managing any food business in future, Singh was ordered to pay 3,861 in fines and costs.

http://www.metro.co....p;in_page_id=34
Posted Image
360 - Craymen Edge // PS3 - CraymenEdge // Steam - CraymenEdge

#11 Idaho

Idaho

cunt

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,215 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:27 PM

fantastic GRAVE pun in the middle there.

#12 Tachikoma

Tachikoma

Nishishishi

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,198 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:31 PM

You wan Chilli soss my friend?

Urm... is that guy... dead?

Look friend, I don't tell you how to run your business, you want salad?

#13 Mr Rich

Mr Rich

What do I do?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:21 PM

I was reading in the London Paper earlier about negative equity in housing.

One guy has lost a lot of the value of his house, but this is how the quote read:

I bought the flat for 175,000 last year, and I was told that it's now worth 80,000. That's a 50% drop!

Not by my maths!

"The only truths are; there is no such thing as a wank or bum baby." - Marthagogo

#14 Idaho

Idaho

cunt

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,215 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:42 AM

For a start that is great maths...

Secondly... That's either utter bollocks or he bought his flat for WAY more than it was worth. Or his flat fell down in the mean time.

#15 Mr Rich

Mr Rich

What do I do?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:52 AM

Well, I was a bit suspicious of the story. It said he bought the Pimlico-based property for 175,000. For those who don't know where Pimlico is, it's very very central London. You can barely buy a 1 bedroom flat around where I live for that money. Then it said "The 160 sq ft property." 160!!! My lounge is bigger than that in my 1 bedroom flat.

So basically it's a tiny tiny studio flat in a really nice area, which now no one wants because anyone who can afford it won't want it and anyone who does, they won't be able to get a mortgage because they probably have no money to begin with.

"The only truths are; there is no such thing as a wank or bum baby." - Marthagogo

#16 Idaho

Idaho

cunt

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,215 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:00 PM

Sounds like a stunning place! He quite cleary over paid, thinking he'd be captain flash with his lovely flat and then got shafted.

#17 Tachikoma

Tachikoma

Nishishishi

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,198 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:27 PM

Pimlico is a dump anyway, it's like most parts of central London, you have the uber riche, and the uber poor living side by side. The rich moan about the poor driving down prices, the poor moan about the rich driving up prices. They all just want a "status" pad by living in "the city" (I fucking hate that term) same thing is happening to Cardiff now.

#18 Mr Rich

Mr Rich

What do I do?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:28 PM

It was a buy to let.... so I'm laughing at him.

I disagree with people being allowed to own more than one property because it makes the whole system unfair.

#19 Idaho

Idaho

cunt

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,215 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:36 PM

Why? i don't want to buy anywhere. I need to rent places cos i don't want to live there for more than a few years. A lot of people on buy to let tend to lose money for a very long time and usually don't make any money untill they sell.

And what about people having a place in a city and a place somewhere else? Maybe i work in london but don't want to spend 4 hours on a train every day so live in london in the week then home at weekends.

#20 Mr Rich

Mr Rich

What do I do?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:43 PM

Why? i don't want to buy anywhere. I need to rent places cos i don't want to live there for more than a few years. A lot of people on buy to let tend to lose money for a very long time and usually don't make any money untill they sell.

And what about people having a place in a city and a place somewhere else? Maybe i work in london but don't want to spend 4 hours on a train every day so live in london in the week then home at weekends.

Okay your last example, if you had the money in order to do that then great. It's people who buy 4 houses on buy to let mortgages and then rent them out that piss me off.

You're right, there has to be a rental market out there for people who want places on relatively short term lets. However, especially in market like London where a lot of the properties first time buyers can afford are one and two bedroom flats, they always seem to have been bought up on buy to let mortgages. Then you try to get a part rent-part buy place and you get told you can't because you're not a key worker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users