52 replies to this topic

#1 Ginja

Ginja

Mehathon!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,649 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:01 PM

I've played about 7 hours so far, this is so good. I've done the 4 shrines on the Great Plateau and since then I've just been wandering. I have died lots. I keep getting myself into areas that I definitely should not be tackling yet but I don't care. Luckily I've been doing loads of cooking and have tasty meals to keep my health topped up. So far I've unlocked one extra tower and completed 3 more shrines, got myself a horse and some fairly decent weapons. I only had 1 rupee to my name for the first 6 hours!!

I'm just about to head to my first proper mission since leaving the plateau. To be honest I was seriously worried about the Zelda formula being messed with so much, but it still feels like a Zelda game. There's been a few frame rate drops when spinning the camera around but during combat and shrines it's been solid. I was concerned that the Wii U version would be inferior and I'd have to stump up for a Switch but thankfully I won't have to do that until there's more games I'm interested in.

Overall this is looking to be a fantastic game, and quite possibly THE best Zelda game I've played. And I've played them all(including the CDI ones, which are obviously the best...)

May have to get a guardian tattoo to go with my Majoras Mask and Zelda Crest ones...

- it's a playground, but one where the slide jerks you off while the swings explode.

Posted Image

#2 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,744 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:48 PM

I love the little musical nod to Link's Awakening in the Shrines.

#3 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

So is this really the best game ever made then or what?

#4 Ginja

Ginja

Mehathon!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,649 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:06 PM

Probably.

- it's a playground, but one where the slide jerks you off while the swings explode.

Posted Image

#5 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:29 PM

Definitive!!

#6 Somerset_Bumkin

Somerset_Bumkin

It's all in the reflexes

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,746 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:31 PM

Walked into game today to buy it and they want £60. £45 on Amazon... how the fuck are they still in business?
It's all in the reflexes.

#7 Ginja

Ginja

Mehathon!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,649 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

Definitely maybe Gareth.

Went back to this last night for the first time since Saturday because life.

Anyway I'm another 5 hours deeper. I've upgraded some clothes and my slate after deciding to do some proper missions, before getting distracted again going after shrines and stuff.

I've found the first thing I don't like about the game and that's the enforced motion control shrines(for I assume there will be more than the one I have completed) I cheesed it, or found an awesome solution depending on your point of view.

Had some awesome battles, a bokoblin dropped his club after I hit him. Mine broke so I nicked his and he picked up a rock, so I stuck him with an arrow. The rock dropped on his head and he died! I've met some unsavoury types out on the road and some friendly people too. I've got 5 hearts now and one lot of extra stamina but I'm going to drop my upgrade into another stamina next as I had some issues trying to scale a cliff face trying to get to a shrine.

Heading back to Hyrule now. :)

Posted Image

#8 El_Patriot

El_Patriot

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:44 AM

I bet that was the shrine with the ball in the spinning maze thing. I've mostly been doing the story. Up to the Zora area. Still getting my arse handed to me so might be time for some shrine hunting.

#9 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,744 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:33 PM

I really like this. I wasn't as instantly enamoured with it as everyone else but it's ridiculously absorbing and charming throughout. The world is brillliantly designed, think if the Witcher 3 was a little more spaced out and instead of marking the POIs on the map, you just discover and mark the cool  locations yourself. You genuinely feel like you're exploring rather than drifting between map makers.

The weird thing I have with this game is that I don't think I'd go as far as saying it's like, the best game ever or anything, but I can't actually think of anything bad to say about it. At all. Maybe the horse controls are a bit iffy?

#10 Papa

Papa

Where's the beach?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,668 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:57 PM

I am so close to pulling the trigger on a switch just for this game, but I cannot warrant the money just for one title, no matter how superb it seems to be. 

#11 El_Patriot

El_Patriot

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

There are, and will be, more games on it. Maybe some will appeal. Or maybe you could pick up a cheap Wii U from somewhere?

#12 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,744 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:25 PM

The most encouraging thing for the Switch so far is the strong indie support which will hopefully tide people over nicely between major releases. Tegra's quite easy for developers to develop for so it's quite an attractive platform for indies especially given the strong launch sales.

#13 Ginja

Ginja

Mehathon!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,649 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:29 PM

There are, and will be, more games on it. Maybe some will appeal. Or maybe you could pick up a cheap Wii U from somewhere?

This. It runs perfectly good on the Wii U. Yes it slows down on occasion. It's only happened in Kakariko village and at tops of trees when everything goes translucent. There's more than enough games to justify owning one and then getting a Switch down the line.

I've seen loads on Gumtree for around £140.

Or you know don't buy either, we know you won't play it for more than 2 hours before moving on to something else ;)

I had a few more hours on it last night and found some areas I was woefully unprepared for. A combat shrine that was a MAJOR challenge. I barely scraped through the last one which was a minor one, so I got the fuck out of there.

I then hopped on a raft and used a leaf to power myself across to an island in the distance. It was night and raining, and then as I landed the game popped up saying this was a Shrine quest and for this challenge it would take away ALL my equipment. I gave it a go and stumbled into a big blue bastard, I mean BIG. He was about 2.5 times taller than Link. I got fucked up, not by him but by a fucking Octoroc who practically one shotted me! I marked the island with a skull and decided to do some main quest instead.

Love this game.

Posted Image

#14 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,744 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

Ah, is that eventide island?

#15 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:07 PM

I am so close to pulling the trigger on a switch just for this game, but I cannot warrant the money just for one title, no matter how superb it seems to be. 

I'm in the same boat. The only Nintendo game I am even remotely interested in is this, and I refuse to buy a console for one game. Hopefully it'll be playable on an emulator in a few years or something.

#16 Somerset_Bumkin

Somerset_Bumkin

It's all in the reflexes

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,746 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:42 PM

I thought that and then I came to my senses and bought it for WiiU, a console I've played all of 2 games on since launch. Arrives tomorrow, looking forward to it.
It's all in the reflexes.

#17 Ginja

Ginja

Mehathon!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,649 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:18 PM

Ah, is that eventide island?

Yep.

Posted Image

#18 Ginja

Ginja

Mehathon!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,649 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:04 AM

So this game rules.

The wife went to bed so I said I'd have an hour on this, that was 3 hours ago. I'm not sure where that time went...

This world that Nintendo have created is sublime. What makes me love this open world more than other games is rather than pepper it with icons of "stuff to do" it just exists.You see something interesting, you mark the map and you go there. No Ubisoft type bollocks with everything being marked because you climbed the tower.

The other thing I like is no achievements/Trophies to go for. Now don't get me wrong I like that shit, as it they make me play games in ways I wouldn't normally in a lot of games but they would spoil this game.

I used my Amiibo earlier. I have the Wolf Link from Twilight Princess and the 16bit Pixel Mario . It's a nice touch. I may invest in the BOTW amiibo once they are readily available an not stupidly expensive due to supply.

I'm now about to tackle my first proper dungeon. I've got 6 hearts and 2 stamina boosts and some sweet armour. Looking forward to seeing what a proper dungeon in this game looks like. The shrines are all good, but they're bite sized slices of what normal Zelda dungeons are.

Posted Image

#19 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

Ooh, maybe sooner than I thought!

https://streamable.com/hb5wr

#20 Duffman

Duffman