92 replies to this topic

#81 Idaho

Idaho

cunt

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,347 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:04 PM

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (PS4) - Been chipping away at this about half an hour at a time and realised I got to the final boss so thought I'd get it done when I should be doing uni work!  It's more of the same from the other game which is not a terrible thing.  Took about 7-8 hours which is what I can cope with right now.  Still.  Enjoyable and a series I'll most likely follow on with.

Destiny 2: osiris dlc 

#82 Ginja

Ginja

Mehathon!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,812 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:42 PM

Spoiler

The Walking Dead S3 E4/5-PS4- And done. The story went places I didn't expect/want it to but had a lot of fun with this. Perfect games to play with the wife :) Bring on Season 4.

- it's a playground, but one where the slide jerks you off while the swings explode.

Posted Image

#83 Bondy

Bondy

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 05:24 PM

LA Noire (Switch) 
Detroit: Become Human: by far the best Quantic Dream game, makes good on a lot of the plot devices they've tried in the past (choices have a longer term impact, detective chasing criminals device is more complicated and compelling, tracking down clues is fun and engaging). Still has plenty of story nonsense, some beats fall flat because the tone is off, and their representation of minority rights is problematic, but definitely worth a play. It has a ton of ambition and looks beeyootiful. 

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

#84 Idaho

Idaho

cunt

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,347 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:58 PM

Yeah the ign Australia podcast said the minority rights element was heavy handed to the point of parody. In fact I think they said a lot of the writing and plot were ott.

#85 Bondy

Bondy

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:46 PM

Aye. They use 'we have a dream' as a device a number of times in a completely non-ironic, extremely serious way but only have one throwaway reference to the actual civil rights movement that could be completely missed depending on the route you take through the game. 

To be fair to Quantic Dream, there is a lot of BME representation across the cast (big and small roles). They did that extremely well, which makes the lack of reference to racism even more bizarre. 

#86 Idaho

Idaho

cunt

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,347 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:26 PM

I thought they had like a "back of the bus" type thing going on? I'll be honest I was listening in the car and missed the beginning of that part of the conversation.

It has made me interested to play it but I was bored with heavy rain and the same with that other one... Fahrenheit?

#87 Bondy

Bondy

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:54 PM

Yes, all androids ride in the back of the bus. They're also not allowed to use escalators? 

The game has all these references to actual terrible things that happened to minorities throughout history, but next to no acknowledgement of the real life origins, if that makes sense? Androidphobia seems to exist in a vacuum, and it comes off like QD are using awful bits of history and human nature as plot devices rather than properly exploring the nature of prejudice, which is what the topic kind of begs for. They could have gone for a more straightforward detective story, but they chose something way more loaded and haven't handled it well at all. 

I think there's more action in Detroit than Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit, but there are a couple of bits that are really slow towards the end. They're the bits that are trying to pack an emotional punch, and they clearly needed time for their inspirational orchestral music to build ;D 

Edit: I think I'm explaining this badly, let me try again. They use things like riding on the back of the bus, wearing blue triangles, being dehumanised, even rounding up androids and putting them in camps, but don't use the words racism, Jews, Holocaust...they don't invoke the actual things that were the basis of these terrible things happening. One black character obliquely says 'my people were treated badly' at one point, but that was the only time it came up. Thusly making it feel like everything is used as a plot device rather than a comment on and exploration of prejudice throughout history. 

Edited by Bondy, 30 May 2018 - 07:04 PM.

#88 Idaho

Idaho

cunt

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,347 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:58 PM

I get you, heavy handed in referencing without actual acknowledgement of what the reference means.

I'll give the demo a go if it's still on the store. Not sure if I have enough attention span for a busy narrative at the moment. Couldn't follow Horizon zero dawn but that was when the babies were like 3 months old. Maybe I can concentrate now!

#89 Smurph

Smurph

Sarge

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,682 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:59 PM

Metal Slug 1 (PS4)
Metal Slug X (PS4)
Metal Slug 5 (PS4)
Raiden V (PS4)
Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
Minit (PS4)
Final Fantasy VII (PS4) Platinum to boot.

#90 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,201 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:00 AM

State of Decay 2 - Xbox One. I mean, I'm such a fan of the genre that I was only ever going to have fun with this. It follows the same template as the original (base building and survival - you need food, fuel, materials etc) so it can get repetitive constantly doing the same supply runs, but that never seemed to bother me so much because I was just immersed in the Boondock US town smashing Zombies in the tits.

God of War - PS4. This is a perfect example of an incredibly well made videogame that never quite makes it to God tier cos it's just missing that certain something in my opinion. I had the same problem with AC: Origins. Good game, glad I played it. Will never make any GOTY lists for me.

Spoiler

#91 Tachikoma

Tachikoma

Nishishishi

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:43 AM

Bullet Witch - POC

The valley level can still fuck right off but still enjoyed it.

#92 Al

Al

The future is tricklenet

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,342 posts
  • Interests:Games, music, books, boobies

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:37 AM

Agents of Mayhem - Xbox

Fun distraction, a few elements of Saints Row. Juvenile humour. Only worth the tenner I paid.

#93 Ginja

Ginja

Mehathon!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,812 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:55 PM

Spoiler

Super Mario Odyssey-Switch-Fuck me what a fun game, not particularly hard to get through the story but I'm looking forward to the challenge of getting more Moons in the future.

- it's a playground, but one where the slide jerks you off while the swings explode.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users