#1 Ginja

Ginja

Mehathon!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,633 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:41 PM

First impressions are very good!

It's tense and eery, with a sense of dread. The environment looks lovely (PS4 version) but the character models are a bit...shit? Thunderbird like mouth movement and the cutscenes are really jerky for some reason, but hopefully a patch will iron out that. The sound design is great with sound effects and music lifted straight from the 1st film. So far it's everything I'd hoped for as I bought this on a whim after Jimmy went on about it during and after Eurogamer, for once he wasn't full of shit.

I haven't even seen the Alien yet, but I am only on the 2nd mission. Looking forward to giving this more time with the lights out and the surround sound cranked high.

If you like Alien then I'd say it's well worth buying as it's reasonably cheap already for PC and if you look around the PS4 version can be had for under £35.

- it's a playground, but one where the slide jerks you off while the swings explode.

Posted Image

#2 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:54 PM

I'll be getting this. Lots of differing opinions in reviews, but I'm glad they slowed the pace down, cranked up the tension and made an Alien game where the Alien isn't just one of a thousand things to point a trigger at.

#3 RetroBob

RetroBob

16-Bit

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts
  • Interests:Videogames, gym, films, good food, going out, staying in!

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:45 AM

Mines on the way for a console a don't own!

XBL: RetroBob

Wii U: RetroBob

PSN: RetroBobUK

3DS: 0232 8156 8633

#4 Mr Rich

Mr Rich

What do I do?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:47 AM

I'm interested to play it as my mate wrote the music score, so interesting to already hear from Ginj that the music is good.

"The only truths are; there is no such thing as a wank or bum baby." - Marthagogo

#5 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:51 AM

The score is getting awesome feedback everywhere. Well done him.

#6 RetroBob

RetroBob

16-Bit

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:38 AM

That's cool!

#7 SlyEnemy

SlyEnemy

Spreadsheet Enthusiast

• Retro Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,791 posts
  • Interests:Gravity

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:46 PM

Going to grab this when I've finished up SOM, love the Alien films and really just want to play a game that finally does it justice - it's certainly been a while. The mixed reviews seem to be coming from a protracted length; the cons of an AI that isn't scripted; weak 3rd party enemies. I think I can deal with those if it means squeeing away in a cupboard while a Xenomorph stomps around.

Raptr Gamercard

#8 Ginja

Ginja

Mehathon!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,633 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:17 PM

I had my first non scripted encounter with the Alien. It ended badly. My face in it's mouth.

Awesome :)

- it's a playground, but one where the slide jerks you off while the swings explode.

Posted Image

#9 El_Patriot

El_Patriot

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:03 AM

Interesting little piece on sound in games, including Alien.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/n...nology-29474695

#10 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:24 PM

This is terrifying. I've been playing it off and on over the weekend but just can't play it in too long bursts, cos the tension is just exhausting.

I thought I was pretty hardened to this stuff, after years of horror films and games, but the sheer tension in this is amazing.

Fantastic stuff.

#11 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:26 AM

Undecided on this so far. On the plus it's very atmospheric aside from the stupid exposition graffiti everywhere. I've just got the motion tracker and can't shake the feeling that it's going to feel a bit too gamey - lots of locked doors everywhere that require some specific arbitrary tool to open. Hopefully the stealth / alien evasion bits will make up for that, but I guess that depends on the AI quality. 

#12 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:51 AM

So having played a bit with the Alien actually chasing me, I'm not overly impressed. The point of the game was supposed to be the Alien's AI, which really isn't particularly impressive, and seems to be:

1. Teleport between vent shafts for a while
2. Exit vent shaft near you
3. Head to the room you're in
4. Have a look round
5. Leave, wander the area for a minute then go back to 1

Looks great and all, but all the tension disappeared the minute the Alien actually came properly into play.

#13 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:54 PM

Just finished. For the most part, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't imagine a game better nailing the look and atmosphere of the Alien movies than this game does - it's spot on from start to finish.

A lot's been made of the difficulty and of the necessity of hiding in lockers. I'd argue if you spend any great amount of your time in lockers you're either playing the game wrong, or you need to man up a bit. The only time I found it necessary to outright hide was when I was in a dead end room and the Alien was outside. Otherwise, it's best to keep moving.

Incidentally, that's when the game is at it's best. I've found that in my experience, the key to a good stealth game is that even if you're just avoiding enemies, you're still doing something - splinter cell had its novel ways of moving about the environment, Dishonored has its powers, Deus Ex its nano abilities, and so on.

Ripley doesn't have any of those kinds of options aside from a couple of gadgets of varying usefulness, so the game rather felt at its weakest when you had to avoid large groups of AIs, particularly toward the beginning of the game, before the Alien is properly hunting you. It felt a bit hit and miss, a bit trial and error.

Once you have the opportunity to be on the move all the time, it's a lot better. Unfortunately, that leads to some of the other limitations of the game, and they're mostly AI related.

It seems pretty clear to me that the Alien is tethered to your position and is essentially spawning in and out of the environment near you, with a chance of popping out of a vent. Toward the end of the game, that chance becomes very high, but for the most part if you stay quiet he'll only come nosing about every couple of minutes. So it can feel rather cheap when having navigated an area with no sign of the Alien, you need to access a terminal. A check of the motion detector says all clear, so you access it, then the Alien pops out of a vent 5 meters away and kills you because Ripley hasn't mastered simply... stepping away from a screen before you get murderised.

The other thing is the bullshit Synthetic AI in Chapter 14 which renders those things an even more annoying version of the earlier chapters before the Alien showed up. Luckily you can just shoot most of the fuckers.

The volume of story contrivances was absurd and contribute to the pacing issues. Obviously we need to get players moving through the station, but please, don't just turn it into a switch hunt. And if you do, don't make me walk somewhere for 10 minutes, get there, break the switch, make me walk 5 more minutes to fix it, then come back to hit the fucking thing again only to find out it didn't really work. Chapter 18 is particularly guilty of this - when it should have been building up to the finale, it's going "oh, we could get on with the game... or we could just break this switch, make you backtrack all that way and turn ANOTHER fucking generator on. Yeah, lets do that".

Finally (and I'm not sure that the game could've done much about this), once the Alien started actively being a part of the game, it wasn't really scary any more. Given the nature of its AI, it rather loses the unpredictability factor that made it scary. You know it's just going to pop out of vents every now and then. I applaud the reluctance to rely on scripting, but maybe a bit of it was needed to mix things up and keep the thing scary - early on I didn't realise the Alien wasn't properly tracking me yet, and it was great as I had no idea when it would show up, but that wouldn't last.

I guess the worst thing Alien is guilty of is being ambitious. It achieves in plenty of ways, but isn't quite there in others. Still, a game worthy of the license.

I'll give it an 8.

#14 Mr Rich

Mr Rich

What do I do?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 03:28 PM

So far this is awesome. Haven't done much, but I've been trying to do some of assassins creed black flag recently and this is a refreshing change.

"The only truths are; there is no such thing as a wank or bum baby." - Marthagogo

#15 Mr Rich

Mr Rich

What do I do?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:27 AM

I've only done a bit and I keep bloody dying at the hands of the other people!

#16 Papa

Papa

Where's the beach?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:02 AM

I am pretty close to the end, and for the most part I have been enjoying it. At a certain point, the game goes from being a pure stealth game to one where you have offensive options. While I enjoy the being able to take down fools, I am actually glad be getting back to feeling like prey. My one big complaint is that I have never really been clear on where I am going and why. The story is essentially a load of fetch quests. I love the station though and appreaciate the metrovania-lite progression. At the moment, I'd agree that this is a solid 8, though would up it to a 9 if you are a big fan of the first and possibly third movie.

#17 Somerset_Bumkin

Somerset_Bumkin

It's all in the reflexes

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,733 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:06 AM

What difficulty are you guys playing? Ive started hard because that's what they recommended.
It's all in the reflexes.

#18 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:24 AM

I did it on Normal and it felt about right. Couple of deaths here and there. The trick to it is to keep moving as much as possible, hiding's basically a last resort.

There's some dodginess with the AI that means I wouldn't want to play it above Normal. It's somewhat galling when you get spotted from a mile off one minute and then it's blind as a bad the next. Wouldn't be surprised if it's even less consistent on higher difficulties.

#19 RetroBob

RetroBob

16-Bit

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:48 PM

Mines on the way for a console a don't own!

So... finally started this now I have an Xbox One X.

First few interactions with the Alien are fucking terrifying especially as was playing it in the dark in my games room will nice surround sound! The more I got killed I got desensitized to it... so I think I will drop the difficulty level down a bit.

Like Gareth said, it's quite stressful... in a good way I guess! I get the feeling from Duffer's post that the game should be a bit shorter than it is (and I like long games).

#20 Somerset_Bumkin

Somerset_Bumkin

It's all in the reflexes

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,733 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:34 PM

I've tried a failed twice now to play this. I will get into it!
It's all in the reflexes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users