101 replies to this topic

#1 Tachikoma

Tachikoma

Nishishishi

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,193 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:11 PM

I want what Nintendo are smoking, it's exactly the bizarro tablet/bolt on controllers/base station that was hinted at in various patents:

Too big for your pocket

Flimsy connectors that kids will get shit stuck in or snapped off

Kickstand

Minuscule wireless controllers that detach from the unit, or use a WaveBird like controller

Awkward base station that the tablet slots into

Skyrim! (Remastered?)

Looks bigger than an Atari Lynx!

At least the graphics look modern for once...

Thoughts?

#2 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:38 PM

Looks great, I want one.

It sounds like you're being a bit nitpicky btw - what's awkward about having a base station? It's got to go somewhere to connect it to a TV and that's better than having some random wires to plug it in each time. Plus how can you tell the grips are flimsy from a video?

On another note, I'm seeing loads of people moaning about the mini controllers, and I've no fucking idea why. That's like complaining that some PS1 games let you play multiplayer with 2 people on 1 controller as well as just using 2 controllers. Just use a normal fucking controller instead and use the clip on things like they're primarily intended to be used? It's just a cool bonus functionality for some games to support if they want. Otherwise it's blatant that the clip on things are for using it as a handheld and the big one is for normal home use.

Also since this is a 2 in 1, that means no split development resources across 2 consoles so a better first party games libary, and the first home console pokemon game, technically. Basically Nintendo are going to print money. It seems to me it's not being positioned to compete directly with the other main consoles, and that's fine with me since there's fuck all exclusive and worth playing on those things that I can't get on PC anyway.

#3 El_Patriot

El_Patriot

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:38 PM

Here's the trailer:

https://youtu.be/f5uik5fgIaI

All I can say is I want one.

#4 Tachikoma

Tachikoma

Nishishishi

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,193 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:49 PM

Looks great, I want one.

It sounds like you're being a bit nitpicky btw - what's awkward about having a base station? It's got to go somewhere to connect it to a TV and that's better than having some random wires to plug it in each time. Plus how can you tell the grips are flimsy from a video?

On another note, I'm seeing loads of people moaning about the mini controllers, and I've no fucking idea why. That's like complaining that some PS1 games let you play multiplayer with 2 people on 1 controller as well as just using 2 controllers. Just use a normal fucking controller instead and use the clip on things like they're primarily intended to be used? It's just a cool bonus functionality for some games to support if they want. Otherwise it's blatant that the clip on things are for using it as a handheld and the big one is for normal home use.

Also since this is a 2 in 1, that means no split development resources across 2 consoles so a better first party games libary, and the first home console pokemon game, technically. Basically Nintendo are going to print money. It seems to me it's not being positioned to compete directly with the other main consoles, and that's fine with me since there's fuck all exclusive and worth playing on those things that I can't get on PC anyway.

No issues with the idea of a base station, but I was thinking more like the WiiU charging dock, not something that encompass the entire thing. It appears the only way you can remove it from the base is by attaching the side controllers. As for the wireless mini controllers, just think, you are now relying on 3 things that require battery. Are the controllers going to charge from the handheld? how is that going to affect battery life? what if the battery kicks the bucket in one of them, how much is a "right controller pad" going to cost? it looks too small for replacement batteries unless they are tiny, which is a possibility if it's using some sort of low power 2.4Ghz shizzle.

What was that box he disconnected the mini controller parts from before attaching them to the Vita... sorry Switch?

I just don't understand all the jizzing, it has everything everyone lambasted the Vita for...... except Zelda.... oh wait...

#5 Ginja

Ginja

Mehathon!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,590 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:54 PM

Day 1.

- it's a playground, but one where the slide jerks you off while the swings explode.

Posted Image

#6 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:56 PM

Zelda looks a mite choppy on the portable section so I'm wondering if there's a bit of extra processing power in the base station and games run at a slightly higher quality plugged in? Like the difference between PS4/Pro.

The box just looked like the charging stand you get with the Wii U but with a slot for both the big controller and the little ones. Presumably they all charge off that thing. The little ones will probably last ages if they're not being used wirelessly. Using them that way is just a fun little bonus feature.

I thought everyone loved the idea of the Vita but it was a bit shit because it got no support from both first and third parties?

Edited by Duffman, 20 October 2016 - 02:56 PM.

#7 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:04 PM

By the way do people actually put portable consoles in their pockets? I've literally never seen anyone actually do that. I always assumed it was just a figure of speech, "pocket sized". Like the original Game Boy definitely didn't fit in any fuckers pocket and that didn't hurt it one bit.

#8 Ginja

Ginja

Mehathon!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,590 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:16 PM

I love the Vita. It has enough software to keep me happy.

I keep my handhelds in a case as the only times I use them I'm travelling somewhere with bags.

I like the idea of only having to buy one version of the games as although they're different games e.g Mario 3D world/Land. They're too similar. Continuing playing games that I'm already playing at home is excellent, I do that with the few cross play titles on the VIta/PS3/4. Every week I take my son to his swimming lessons and I have a couple of hours there so I can play Zelda while I'm out :)

Hopefully Nintendo will allow us to use the VC titles we have bought on this. I won't be rebuying any that's for sure.

If Nintendo price this competitively then they'll have a big seller on their hands IMO. £249 with a pack in game or Pro controller would be right, although I think it'll be £299 without either. I'll still buy it though...

- it's a playground, but one where the slide jerks you off while the swings explode.

Posted Image

#9 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,002 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:23 PM

Nintendo have been dead to me for years, but man, I thought that looks great!

#10 Tachikoma

Tachikoma

Nishishishi

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,193 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:38 PM

I should elaborate, I'm actually interested in this as it's not a fucking Wii or DS, the idea of a real Pokémon game on the big screen is a big draw. The only thing I play on my 2DS is Pokemon and animal crossing. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc have no appeal to me anymore, I have had Zelda on my 2DS since I bought it and have never played more than 5 minutes of it. I would like to try Splatoon but I wasn't prepared to buy a console for one game, unless it's Pokémon.

Did anyone see any hint of a stylus or touchscreen? I didn't even see any on-screen icons that would suggest touch.

I'm incredibly curious about the resolution on a screen that large, the Vita is pretty much at the limit for what I can tolerate on a screen that big, I can't see the Switch being more than 720p in handheld mode as the heat and battery drain would be enormous for something like Skyrim.

#11 Papa

Papa

Where's the beach?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,653 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:56 PM

Oddly, this seems like the most 'normal' console Nintendo have designed for a while. Yes it is an odd console / handheld hybrid, but the games look to use standard controls, and don't appear to have any waggle. I am interested, but it will need to prove it can be more than just a Vita that you can plug into a TV. I love my Vita, and the backlog of games for it are enough to keep my train journeys interesting for a while. 

#12 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,002 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:48 PM

It's going to live and die by the hardware. It's all well and good being all flexible with the big screen/portable thing, but it needs to compete with the PS4's and One's when plugged in to people's TV's.

I'm definitely interested though, which is a lot more than could be said for the Wii U wot m8.

#13 Tachikoma

Tachikoma

Nishishishi

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,193 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:25 AM

Specs for the devkit:

https://mobile.twitt...116886109655041

Apparently the retail unit will sport a Tegra X2, so you are looking at roughly PS3/360/WiiU level graphics which isn't awesome for a 2017 console but is great for a handheld. Not impressed with the 720p screen for reasons already mentioned, but nobody should be surprised, Nintendo love their huge low-res screens.

#14 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,002 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:45 AM

So when it's plugged into a TV it'll only output 720p?

#15 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:43 AM

No confirmation of the screen res anywhere that I've seen. If it is Tegra then that would put it at least in the ballpark of the nvidia shield which can run Witcher 3, at least. 720p on the portable would be absolutely fine though.

Edited by Duffman, 21 October 2016 - 08:43 AM.

#16 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,002 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:22 AM

I never use portables. If I bought this, it'd be left plugged in to a telly and used as a console. 720p would be a deal breaker. I find it hard enough going back to 1080p from 1440p and 4k.

#17 Tachikoma

Tachikoma

Nishishishi

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,193 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:22 AM

So when it's plugged into a TV it'll only output 720p?

Probably 1080p when plugged into the dock, it's just the devices LCD that's 720p (although I heard it was 900p elsewhere) which would make sense when run on batteries, less pixels to push and kill battery life, but it's going to look pretty janky on a screen that big.

No confirmation of the screen res anywhere that I've seen. If it is Tegra then that would put it at least in the ballpark of the nvidia shield which can run Witcher 3, at least. 720p on the portable would be absolutely fine though.

720p is for the devkit, the retail still might be 900p

#18 Duffman

Duffman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:35 AM

The screen on the tablet doesn't necessarily mean the TV output will only be 720p though, the Wii U's tablet is 480p after all yet one or two games on the thing will do 1080p on the main screen. I think 720 is fine for the portable thing, but they should really eb targeting 1080 for when it's docked. Would be a shame if it went less than that but it's not stopping the XBO too badly.

#19 Idaho

Idaho

cunt

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,182 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:15 PM

No.  Clever.  But no.

#20 Ginja

Ginja

Mehathon!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,590 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:00 PM

The Wii U runs at 1080p for most games.

So I'm sure that's what this will do.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users