5 replies to this topic

#1 Idaho

Idaho

cunt

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,314 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:21 AM

Me and Bec are going on an epic holiday in a few months and we need a camera.  We'll have phones and that with us, both of which have very good quality cameras on but there's going to be times when we need something waterproof and a bit tougher.

We're off to Cambodia, Vietnam, and Singapore for just over a month, there's definitely going to be boat type things as well as motorbike stuff... Basically I'm thinking a GoPro might be the way forward.  Waterproof enough, hard wearing, small, etc. 

Does anyone have much experience on the stills front with GoPros? I know the battery life is pretty short on them but I've seen I can get a couple of spare batteries quite cheap, and SD cards are really cheap these days too.  

Anyone had experience? Got advice? 

#2 Mr Rich

Mr Rich

What do I do?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:31 AM

Depends how nerdy you want me to get.  Technically yes it does shoot 12 mega pixel images, which are all you ever really want as you would never print them larger than A3 anyway, even if you do get round to printing them.   However, because of the nature of the camera the dynamic range is shocking, this is the different between the lightest and the darkest parts of the image.  If it's even slightly over exposed then it will just blow out to white and if it's under you'll struggle.  

It totally depends what you're using it for.  If you want to take some underwater shots, take some selfies etc, it's perfectly good.   If you want to use it as a normal camera, take some landscapes and portraits, it's shocking.

If you're after a compact camera, I'd buy something like this:  http://www.amazon.co...NKMDK7FXV4EJB2X

"The only truths are; there is no such thing as a wank or bum baby." - Marthagogo

#3 Mr Rich

Mr Rich

What do I do?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:35 AM

Oooo, this also looks quite nice

http://www.amazon.co...n Coolpix AW130

I love Go Pros, we use them all the time, but they're for clamping onto a car or bike or someone's head and filming in my opinion.

"The only truths are; there is no such thing as a wank or bum baby." - Marthagogo

#4 Pedro

Pedro

MY FIGHT MONEY!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:23 AM

I've got an Olympus Stylus Tough TG-3, and take it with me on all adventures. has a 3x optical zoom, which is rare in adventure cameras. It's been snowboarding and underwater in Okinawa. Good for some film taking (though because the zoom motor is sealed inside the body it can ruin the filming a little), though the Go Pro will always beast this in terms of video. 

[edit] I'll upload to photobucket soon, not too comfortable with facebook pictures being out in the open.

review is here, and the tg-4 is out now too but expect it to be pretty expensive.

http://www.photograp...us_tg_3_review/

Edited by Pedro, 24 December 2015 - 11:26 AM.

#5 Pedro

Pedro

MY FIGHT MONEY!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:00 PM

Pictures for your comparison:

P9010160_zpsjlxcfl8q.jpgP9010097_zpsjr8eisbl.jpgP8310073_zpskxjfsibv.jpgIMG_1959_zpsxobkb7lk.jpg

#6 Pedro

Pedro

MY FIGHT MONEY!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:17 PM

http://vid67.photobu...zpsft7qbrsj.mp4

the upload quality has made the video suffer a lot, so not sure if you can get what you want out of it- but anyway...

Edited by Pedro, 24 December 2015 - 12:19 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users