56 replies to this topic

#41 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,025 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:55 PM

OH FFS! Biggest Final Fantasy ever? Check. Most challenging? Check. So why oh why oh why are there so few save points?

Just ploughed through some cave/dungeon area, fought a massive dinosaur and just scraped through, tracked all the way out again, walked through a door and about ten green slimes drop out of nowhere and kick my ass... another hour lost as I sit here debating whether I can be bothered going through it all again...

#42 Windy

Windy

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:01 PM

For its all its foibles I still think its a fantastic game myself, but you're right being able to save anywhere would have been nice, or even an item for saving inbetween save points, or even like normal quick save features found in SRPGs that disappear when you are out in the fields and you use them. I have to admit though I am loving it now though, and I bet you attempt it again the next time to do it better.

I always go back to save before I push too far forward in that position though as that helps with your levels aswell. Not since Turok 2 have I spent so long between save points but I have fought every enemy I've come across whenever I've been on my travels. I'm just doing a few side quests at the moment. Like the blackened fragments and some new hunt marks. I never plough into new areas unless I am a good match for the enemies there though - if I can help it. I'd rather go back, and tackle any side quests available to get extra money new equipment, spells and skills.

The areas are too big though, I agree, and I was of the presumption that this was why RPGs had shrunken field type areas. To avoid this, and to make travelling between Towns, Dungeons and locations easier. You could always save in them though - thats for sure. I thought similar things to what you are thinking when playing DQVIII aswell though. What with the saving and the overly large field areas, but at least you could warp to the vicinity of a church whenever you wanted to in that game.

For me though the Story, who's on whose side and the relationships forming between the characters and enemies are pure Matsuno. The vast array of side quests, and the amazing strategically challenging battle engine has got this game way out in front of DQVIII in my opinion. I'm still hoping Zelda will be even better, but thats going to have to be perfection to better this. Now if they'd only done a better Job of the localisation and got some proper English actors to do the English voices then this would have been near to perfection aswell, but as it is, it is peppered with too many unforgiveable mistakes in certain areas of the localisation and translation. Also I'm sure that Fran is voiced by Bjork(lol) she certainly sounds like her anyway.

EDIT:-

@Spoilers@

I almost fell Victim to the same fate late last night myself, but used that 'Decoy' spell to get the mindless blobs attacking the decoy, and then legged it out of there to Grind a bit more on the dinos first. I'll go back when I'm a bit more powerful because most of the dungeons do require revisiting, and opening extra areas up anyway. Those blobs seemed like a good place to farm Exp aswell hopefully they'll re-appear on every visit. I'm thinking this game is the mutts nuts now though.

Its almost nearly converting me from preferring my Strategy type games to roaming around again. Its the strategy in this game I like though, and if it isn't amongst the top game of 2006 then there's something inherently wrong with people's gaming tastes.

#43 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,025 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

MEGAAAAAAAAAAA NECRO BUMP!!!

The remaster of this for PS4 is looking astounding. I hope it renders at above 1080p on the PRO, but even at 1080 the step up from 2006 ps2 blur-o-vision is going to be great.

So much of the detail in this game was lost on SD resolutions. Look at the below! It looks like a PS3 remaster, not a PS2 one.

This is still the best ever FF game too.

#44 Tachikoma

Tachikoma

Nishishishi

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,198 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:39 PM

11 year old thread resurrection, not too shabby!

#45 Ginja

Ginja

Mehathon!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,629 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:09 PM

I have this preordered. I never played it for long back in the day.

- it's a playground, but one where the slide jerks you off while the swings explode.

Posted Image

#46 Idaho

Idaho

cunt

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,208 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:41 PM

Impressive resurrection! Call me when the remaster ffix

#47 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,025 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:53 PM

Whoever did this remaster read my posts in this thread! Tailored licence boards for each class and autosaves ftfw!!

#48 toneeblair

toneeblair

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:16 AM

We're old.

848380.png
- My name is feared in every dirty corner of this island! -

#49 Papa

Papa

Where's the beach?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:59 AM

I am loving the fast mode too. It makes the grind a lot more enjoyable. 

#50 Ginja

Ginja

Mehathon!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,629 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:17 PM

I still don't know how I feel about this game. I need to give it more time.

- it's a playground, but one where the slide jerks you off while the swings explode.

Posted Image

#51 toneeblair

toneeblair

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:51 PM

I started a playthrough of this on a PS2 emulator a few years back and kinda lost the will to play it. This release has me wondering if I should go back, but like you say Ginj, there's something about it that just doesn't quite click with me either.

848380.png
- My name is feared in every dirty corner of this island! -

#52 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,025 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:49 PM

You guys are mad! It's the definitive version of the best jrpg ever made.

#53 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,025 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:46 AM

Wife and kid have been away in Poland this week, so me and this game :wub:

Right before Bahamut, got quite a few legendary weapons including Seitengrat, and only a few top end hunts left that I am waiting to take on till I can get at least a couple of ribbons, but the bastards at SE have made them even more difficult to obtain than they were in the PS2 version...

I have found whole zones in this game that I never even saw in my first and second playthrough!

#54 Smurph

Smurph

Sarge

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:22 AM

Gareth, I love you man, but no way is this the best jrpg ever. Not even nearly the best FF game, and that's only the main series I'm talking about. It's not the best game set in Ivalice - it's the worst. Just no. No way.

#55 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,025 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:46 AM

I've just finished it for the third time, and my 80 hours on the original, 50 hours on emulation and 55 hours on the remaster disagree!

I absolutely stand by that comment. It's the only modern Final Fantasy that is tonally consistent (no forced melodrama or awkward comedy). It also drips in really resonant world building lore, and the world of Ivalice is FF's best. To me at least it is an absolute masterpiece. I honestly do not understand how anyone can not like the game!

Like with any of the real classics, I know I could quite happily go home tonight and start another playthrough. It just doesn't get old. There's so much to discover in the game that even now, I still have stuff left to do one day (Hell Wyrm and Yiazmat lol). Hunting out the ultimate weapons and armour is just amazing in this game. The risk reward when you get that drop is fucking crack cocaine.

It has magic for me like no other JRPG I can think of. Even the place names send tingles. I can set up gambits to nullify even the most dangerous threats and feel clever when they all come together. It still pisses over every RPG out there (apart from Witcher 3).

So yeah, it's my Link to the Past. 100% best FF and a bonifide 10/10 game for me. Anyone who disagrees is wrong.

#56 Shufty

Shufty

Xylophonic Buggerist

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:50 AM

Never played it but probably pick it up at some point. Best JRPG far as I'm concerned is Panzer Dragoon Saga

Captain Birdseye was a paedophile. "Now son, do you want some of my special cod?"

#57 Smurph

Smurph

Sarge

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:08 PM

Not bad choice Shufts.

Gareth, you spin a good argument so I totally get you. I will say however that I do not hate the game, in fact I quite like it - but it's amongst strong company in ivalice, like Vagrant Story which I will never stop letting you all know. All the same your favourite is your favourite and I'll not hear a bad word against it.

Edited by Smurph, 01 August 2017 - 07:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users