13 replies to this topic

#1 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,083 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

FFXII is a strange one. It came out just as a new console generation was getting into its stride, and it made some fairly big changes to the static turn-based combat. It left a lot of people cold, but reviewed well and has a decent following.

I'm playing it through again now, and after around 17 hours I'm going to come out and say it. It's the best Final Fantasy in the series and one of the best games ever made.

Reasons:

In six years, it hasn't aged a bit. If you erased it from history, upped the resolution and added decent shadows, released it tomorrow it would stand toe to toe with Skyrim/Amalur/Xenoblade. In fact, I'd argue it trumps those games.

The art design is magnificent. The voice acting is wonderful. The plot, sense of place, adventure... it is exactly what I want from the franchise.

It feels like a perfect evolution. Check these two screens.

Posted Image
Attached File  ffxii.jpg   570.23KB   14 downloads

Now, I know you can move around in XII, but it's still exactly the same combat dynamic. You heal, use buffs and cause damage whilst conforming to a set move timer. Position is arbitrary and arguably just there for show.

The classes, sweeping political intrigue and small fry rising to fulfill potential and end the diabolical plans of an evil despot. It's all in XII.

Add the hunts - totally addictive - and you have a game that, for me at least, is close to perfect. Please, please go back to this template Square-Enix because you stupid fuckers nailed it and you didn't even realise.

#2 Papa

Papa

Where's the beach?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

It is a good game, and I love the setting. At the time, I didn't really get on with the combat, but RPG's have evolved since, and now the standard FF atb system is actually quite rare. I am praying for some kind of Vita release

#3 toneeblair

toneeblair

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

I sold my PS2 by the time this came out and so have never had a chance to play it at all.

If it works on an emulator I might give that a go, but otherwise I'm stuck till they decide to release it on PSN or something.

848380.png
- My name is feared in every dirty corner of this island! -

#4 clairebear

clairebear

yummy

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

It's truly an amazing game. I loved X and Xii felt like it was an evaluation of that. I dislike Vaan though, I hate him almost as much as I hated Tidus.

I started this again a few months ago and sat in my bed for three days running around the Mensa place levelling. Went back to Skyrim and forgot.

Think il have another shot tomoz

#5 Smurph

Smurph

Sarge

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

The plot ruined it for me. Never finished it because I got so bored with the political bullshit. The rest of it was pretty good, and Fran is the best FF character ever.

#6 toneeblair

toneeblair

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:34 AM

Managed to get it working in an emulator, maybe need to make a few adjustments to improve the image quality, but I'm excited to start playing it for the first time! I was just thinking about going back to FF7 recently (as I still have the discs) but had never considered the whole emulator shebang for the PS2 games.

848380.png

#7 clairebear

clairebear

yummy

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:36 AM

Gran has a nice bum

#8 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,083 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

The plot ruined it for me. Never finished it because I got so bored with the political bullshit. The rest of it was pretty good, and Fran is the best FF character ever.

Maybe it's all the Game of Thrones I've been watching but I'm finding the plot pretty good so far. And I'm so moist for Fran.

#9 clairebear

clairebear

yummy

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

Gran has a nice bum

Gran? I ment Fran - bloody iPhone

#10 Ginja

Ginja

Mehathon!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

Gran? I ment Fran - bloody iPhone

Or did you..../Freudian Slip ;)

- it's a playground, but one where the slide jerks you off while the swings explode.

Posted Image

#11 TwinHype

TwinHype

Dreamcast > Everything

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,389 posts
  • Interests:G's up Ho's down

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

lol, also I'm going to play this game again now as it kind of like Xenoblade (which is amazing) and I stopped because I kept getting f'd by this huge bird but I reckon now I'm a level headed adult I'll get past it and really enjoy it :)

#12 toneeblair

toneeblair

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

Liking it so far - just completed the first Hunt so not been doing it for very long, but so far it feels like proper Final Fantasy.

XIII and XIII-2 were good, but way too far up their own silly arses compared to previous games.

848380.png

#13 toneeblair

toneeblair

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

I'm about 10 hours in now. It's great fun, but I can see where the complaints would arise about the story, it's pretty political and small-scale compared to the other games even with all the airships and stuff. I'm finding it pretty hard to determine who should have what role, and the armours are pretty confusing to equip - it doesn't help that you can't tell what's light/mystic/heavy from the inventory - so I have a bunch of all-rounders at the moment. Having said that, it doesn't seem to be affecting the difficulty too much.

848380.png

#14 Papa

Papa

Where's the beach?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:38 PM

BUMP!! The remaster is good. I will have more to say after tonight, as I am planning a decent session on it. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users