#1 village

village

My Fight Money!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts
  • Interests:I'm not a rapist!

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:47 AM

I know I'm late to the party but I've finally got around to buying Shadow Of The Colossus. I couldn't really resist anymore and seeing as GAME have it in new for a tenner, in the nice cardboard sleeve as well.
I loved Ico (which I was late playing as well) and I followed progress of Shadow closely all the way up to the release, then it got lost with the release of the xbox 360. Seems a bit odd to me now, I choose to play Perfect Dark Zero over this?
Anyway first impressions, the first thing that strikes me about this game is the animation it's animated better than most 360/PS3 games I've seen. The horse just seems to move so naturally I really can't't believe that this is on the PS2. I love the way you just flopp about when the Colossus tries to shake you off and the animation of the sword stab. :D I really can't wait to see what this team come up with on the PS3.

The next thing that hits me is the scale... everything is just massive. Then I hit the first Colossus the sense of scale just doubled the thing is huge. I can guess that's weak point is it's head, but how the hell are you supposed to get up there. Stabbing the back of it's knee to bring it down, pure genius. I sat there for about 2 hours just grinning like an idiot. I've just reached the 6th Colossus each one it brilliant and very unique.

The whole thing just screams epic. I can't wait to get home to get the next one. I really can't recommend this enough anyone who hasn't played it go get it. It's only a tenner.

#2 Tachikoma

Tachikoma

Nishishishi

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,203 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:59 AM

It is a very good game, but I found the fact you just go from Colossi to Colossi with nothing to do inbetween a big flaw.

It doesn't make me think "desolate world" it makes me think "how can we pad it out so people don't notice it's essentially the 'Boss Battle Mode' you get in most games now?"

I read somewhere that there was actually lots of things to do between the "bosses" and they just cut it all out. There were also more Colossi that were cut out, presumably they thought the game was big enough with what they left in.

#3 redman

redman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:10 PM

I thought the music was brilliant when your fight kicks in. The fights were brilliant, I really enjoyed this game.

I'll have to go through it again at some stage

#4 Smurph

Smurph

Sarge

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:28 PM

Funny enough I was at a mate's house on Saturday night and he asked me to bring stuff up he hadn't seen, so I brought this and showed him the 6th colossus, my favourite. 'Are you in there, little man?' 'Take that, Beardy!' Brill.

Dan, if you think the sense of scale is good now, wait til the last one... Woooo...

#5 redman

redman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:29 PM

oh bum. I never played the last guy!

#6 Tachikoma

Tachikoma

Nishishishi

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,203 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:40 PM

The last one is just crazy, and the closer you get the more amazed you become, although I had to look up how to kill him as it was so stupidly vague. I probably spent 3 hours trying to work it out for myself, then looked it up and killed him in 10 minutes.

#7 village

village

My Fight Money!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:47 PM

Take that, Beardy!

I actually said the same thing. That fight was fantastic.

I can't believe I forgot to mention the music. Long story short, it's great.

#8 Smurph

Smurph

Sarge

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:50 PM

I dunno, I thought it was okay, it only took me a couple of goes. The ones that got me were the (I think) 9th one which was the one you helped me with, Tach, and one other one:

Spoiler

#9 redman

redman

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:02 PM

i got him. probably my least favourite fight though.

i had to look up
Spoiler

#10 wholehole

wholehole

Will hench for food

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,101 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:18 PM

It is a very good game, but I found the fact you just go from Colossi to Colossi with nothing to do inbetween a big flaw

People always moan about the fact that it's essentially just a big boss mode. There are valid reasons for why the game is like it is, it just depends on how cynical you want to be about the whole thing.

Fantastic game nonetheless, in my all time top ten easy.
Posted Image

"Bullshit, Mister Han man! Man, you come right out of a comic book."

#11 AndyKurosaki

AndyKurosaki

ScoreWhore Extrordinaire

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,770 posts
  • Interests:Computer games,anime,comics,learning Japanese,playing on Xbox Live.

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:49 PM

One of the best games EVER made,without question.I seriously loved playing this,took it round to my mates house,and it had us both in amazement every time we saw a new colossus.Especially how big some of them where ("Bloody hell!How do you kill THAT?").

The music was exceptional,and the bit that played when you beat a colossus was really memorable,it almost made you feel guilty at how sorrowful it is ("Oh no,i did that").

Have A Banana!

#12 Tachikoma

Tachikoma

Nishishishi

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,203 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:13 PM

There are valid reasons for why the game is like it is

Yeah they cut out all the bits in the middle!

It's like The Matrix, huge massive plot holes and discrepancies, but it's not "shit writing" it's "just so clever you wouldn't understand it"

#13 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,083 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:01 PM

We're so used as gamers to having our typical game padding between 'bosses' that Collossus' world does seem stark, but y'know what, if the game had little goblins running around the map, box pushing puzzles and hearts to collect there's no way it would have had the same impact. And I love it personally for being brave enough to let the concept do the talking without all the filler.

Briliant game.

#14 skunko

skunko

"A Fine Slice Of The Ginge Pie"

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:13 PM

fantastic stuff... best game on the PS2 in my opinion. i think the 5th colossus was my favorite, but the 4th was definately the worst...

and yeah the game wouldn't have worked with tacked on enemies and stuff, might have been nice to have THAT as an extra mode but as far as the main game goes it was better without them.
QUOTE (Imbellis @ Aug 18 2008, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brazilian teenagers shooting each other is grade A wanking material for me nowadays.

#15 Guest_RivaOni_*

Guest_RivaOni_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:17 PM

Love this game..........

Spoiler

#16 Guest_MrFlintBlackman_*

Guest_MrFlintBlackman_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:17 PM

This is 9.99 on GAME's website at the moment, BUY IT!

#17 skunko

skunko

"A Fine Slice Of The Ginge Pie"

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:18 PM

yep... number 4. Was it just me being shit or did that colossus not actually work? It did occasionally but you just had to wait and hope you got lucky.
QUOTE (Imbellis @ Aug 18 2008, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brazilian teenagers shooting each other is grade A wanking material for me nowadays.

#18 AndyKurosaki

AndyKurosaki

ScoreWhore Extrordinaire

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,770 posts
  • Interests:Computer games,anime,comics,learning Japanese,playing on Xbox Live.

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:58 AM

only 10?Damn that's the bargain of the year and no mistake!

Some people dissed the game claiming "you just fight bosses".They obviously never played it,as it gave you such a feeling of excitement.

How satisfying did it feel when after trying to work out how to get to a weak spot,you suddenly had a "Euraka!" moment and won.
And the music really had you on the edge of your seat.

Brilliant,brilliant game :)

Have A Banana!

#19 wholehole

wholehole

Will hench for food

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,101 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:13 AM

It's unfair to say that they never played it, it just depends on what explanation you prefer. On the one hand there's the "they left everything else out" explanation, on the other there's the "it promotes a sense of isolation" reason.

Personally I prefer to go with the latter. Feeling that total isolation whilst riding to the next Colossus just made the game feel that much better for me. It would have watered down the experience if there were enemies to fight on the way.

Whatever the real reason behind the emptyness was, it was definitely intentional.
Posted Image

"Bullshit, Mister Han man! Man, you come right out of a comic book."

#20 village

village

My Fight Money!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:17 AM

Ok, so I've now finished this game.
Fantastic game, slightly disappointed with the last Colossus.
Spoiler

Brilliant ending as well. Mucho enjoyable game.

Gonna replay Ico again tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users